Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

Is the Icon of Sin automatically programmed to end a level when killed?

I was playing someone's custom WAD and it had the Icon of Sin enemy on it. When I killed it, it ended the level. So are Icon of Sin enemies programmed to end the level when killed, even on Doom Builder? Because of so, then I'll be able to make my own map 30 then. Thanks.

of course lol :)

infact, i think the icon of sin works on every single map slot

there is a 32 level megawad in the archives, and each level has an icon of sin on it

Xtife said:

of course lol :)

infact, i think the icon of sin works on every single map slot

there is a 32 level megawad in the archives, and each level has an icon of sin on it

What manner of wad file such as this be named? I'm curious to play it.

You can even use a DEH/BEX patch to transfer the effect to a different type of monster (something which Kaiser did with Halo of Wonders and something I wish Espi had done with Sisocran instead of using Zdoom-specific scripting, but, oh well)

RjY said:

You can even use a DEH/BEX patch to transfer the effect to a different type of monster

You can even swap it for the pistol fire codepointer and make a Doom II speedrun in less than 30 seconds ;)
And for those of you saying that wad is absolutely horrible, you haven't played enough wads yet.

RjY said:

You can even use a DEH/BEX patch to transfer the effect to a different type of monster etc

I think "Twilight Warrior" gave the code pointer to a hostage you were supposed to protect. If the hostage died, the level ended and you had failed.

Belial said:

Lol. Mostly DM maps with random items/monsters thrown in. Looks like someone wanted to make a jokewad or just have some ridiculous fun.

I can agree with that. I did like some of the ideas though, such as map05.

TVR! was another wad that made use of this effect. One of the levels approx. halfway or so through you had to shoot a "reactor" with rockets to end the level. It was the IOS. I also liked the wad's IOS at the end...

MasterOFDeath said:
TVR! was another wad that made use of this effect. One of the levels approx. halfway or so through you had to shoot a "reactor" with rockets to end the level. It was the IOS.

Another earlier example is from "Requiem" map 8 ("The Reactor" by Iikka Keränen). It ends with you flipping a switch to "destroy" the reactor (what you really do is crush some barrels that kill off two Romero heads).

MasterOFDeath said:

TVR! was another wad that made use of this effect.

Not in the sense that Enjay and I were referring to: i.e. dehacked being used to transfer the relevant codepointer to a frame other than the boss brain's death frame.

What the first wad to use this effect was, I'm not sure. Possibly there were some old Doom(1) wads that did something similar with the cyber/spider codepointer (and possibly got broken by changes in the exe).

i shall have to remember this, sounds like a useful trick in vanilla editing

yeah i've used the boss brain directly a couple of times, dehacked it's health down to, say, 1 and had a player do something to activate a crushing ceiling over it to end the level. i used this and the resulting explosion in my second released map "react" (cyc-b.wad)

It's just the cod pointer on it' death frame. It's made to end the level. Yo ucan copy this code pointer to be used for any monster.

Ezxariarch said:

It's just the cod pointer on it' death frame. It's made to end the level. Yo ucan copy this code pointer to be used for any monster.

Or if your using Zdoom set the Item tag to " End Game normal " and it would probley work, i havent tested it yet though.

Edit: Yeah, it works.. yay =)