Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Odd Eye

Level style

What's your favorite style of level to make? Hellish, industrial etc. I myself like to make hellish levels, altough levels in epsiode 1 style are a lot of fun too.

i like gothic maps, stuff like gothic dm, i wish the original doom looked like that

they never made any gothic single player maps tho, so im thinking i might use thier resources to do so :)

Innovative stuff. Make that a galeon in space or a base on a meteor.

I personally like Void or Russell's Pearson's stuff.

Xtife said:

they never made any gothic single player maps tho, so im thinking i might use thier resources to do so :)

What about Thy Flesh Consumed?

Xtife said:

i like gothic maps, stuff like gothic dm, i wish the original doom looked like that

http://rapidshare.de/files/14537769/Gothicka.wad.html

Way ahead of you.. it's only three complete rooms to one level so far, but im working as fast i can with details.

Xtife said:

it looks good so far :) hard to really see without the textures tho

Then get the resources and then play it =/im not loading the entire pak into the wad ( already did it with the MRW... )

wowers it looks much better
looks like its gunna be a really awesome map :)

i really havent had any ideas yet for mine, but this helps heh

Xtife said:

wowers it looks much better
looks like its gunna be a really awesome map :)

i really havent had any ideas yet for mine, but this helps heh

Yeah, I just need to work out where its going after those first few levels <.<

Hell is a theme I like doing, tech is fun too and more easy to get good ideas for.
Gothic theme well never tried that, not sure how an gothic map is supposed to look like.

your titan426 map was a great example :)

i guess gothic/hellish could be the same, but are different in some ways

Xtife said:

your titan426 map was a great example :)

i guess gothic/hellish could be the same, but are different in some ways

Gothic/hell seems to merge into one theme for my maps, Lol.

I don't prefer any one style of level over another. I've seen Hell maps that kicked the ass of Techbase maps, and vice versa, so it depends on how good the map is. Traditionally though, I like maps that show innovative ideas and new ways of doing the same old things. If the map makes me go "wow, I never thought of that before" or "that looks really cool", then it's usually a good map.
Also, when mapping, I try not to use the same theme over, although that can be hard at times, especially when you find that you are good at a particular style. I like to prove to people that I can do a variety of types and not have them look and play like shit. I'm sorta lacking in the Hell department though, probably because I've never really did a serious attempt at a Hell map. My strongpoints seem to be various types of brown maps and gray maps.

I prefer Gothic/Medieval themes with a touch of hellish style, because I find it easier to make, but especially because it is "freer". I think that the Tech-base theme has been overused and this explains why I now tend to use the Gothic/Medieval/Hellish theme with a sort of realistic look. Pure Hellish style is good-looking, but it's hard to make for me! :P

I can map any theme, but I enjoy the Plutonia themes a lot. I'm not a fan of making tech maps, they never seem interesting enough for me.