Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schneelocke

Wolfenstein 3D - new NewWolf release

For those who still play Wolfenstein 3D or SoD on occasion... a new version of NewWolf, has just been released, the first since late 2002. :)

NewWolf is pretty complete, so it only features a fix for a visual glitch and a new video mode (1280x1024), but if you're running it, you still might be interested.

Happy wolfing. :)

Thanks for pointing this out. I like NewWolf but it hadn't been updated forever. Downloading...

I've used this before. It's damn nice. I wish it had the ability to play mods with source code changes.

It can play my 1 episode Pokestein demo just fine though.

This kicks ass. It has STRAFTING! Now if only I could set the speed down. I'm getting queasy at the break-neck turns. My value Wolf 3-D cd says it includes Spear of Destiny. Lying Activision.

Speaking of. How do you get SOD to run off this.

I cant imagine playing Wolf 3D in anything but DOS(Box). But I suppose its good for some people. And you can strafe in regular Wolf 3D

The Activision pack had a Wolf3D and a SOD folder that gets installed to your HD. SOD's mission packs are run by renaming files and then launching the game through the supplied launcher.

Hmmm, when you complete Episode 1 and run to the exit... Nothing happens just like previous versions. I'd hoped support would have been added for actually finishing the game. Makes trying to get a high score a bit pointless.

I'd download it, but I absolutely dread playing Wolfenstein 3D. I played through the game years ago, but I doubt I could do it again. Giant mazes just aren't my thing. Hell, I tried to play it a few months ago and I got lost on the second level for about half an hour before I gave up.

AgentSpork said:

I got lost on the second level for about half an hour before I gave up.

There's something about that level I've always really liked. Horses for courses I guess.

I found the getting lost part to be too frustrating. The only map from the shareware version I know decently is E1L1 and there's no prizes for guessing why.

Bah. If you play it on skill 4 (or skill 3 for the less endowed) its not much like a maze. Especially the first episode. Wolfs only problem is that its so primitive it becomes repetitive. 60 levels was, IMO, too much. Would have been just as good with 30.

TheDarkArchon said:

I found the getting lost part to be too frustrating. The only map from the shareware version I know decently is E1L1 and there's no prizes for guessing why.

Doom 2 Map31 is the only reason I know the first level of Wolf3D fairly well right off the top of my head. :P

Enjay said:

Hmmm, when you complete Episode 1 and run to the exit... Nothing happens just like previous versions. I'd hoped support would have been added for actually finishing the game. Makes trying to get a high score a bit pointless.

Yeah, there still are some quirks in the game - I also noticed that when you take the spear in SoD, nothing happens, and you just get a warning about an "unknown item type". :P

Technician said:

Now I know why I stopped playing this game. Gives me a bad case of mosion sickness.

Heh... DOOM does that to me all the time, too (unfortunately).