Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xtife

XWE bugs/feature requests

heyas

iv found that XWE doesnt merge wads aswell as wintex did

when merging wads in XWE, XWE "forgets" that textures/flats from the wad im merging are textures/flats. and makes them into some IMAGE type

wintex doesnt do this, it checks when its merging wads :) not that its hard to convert them back or anything, but i shouldnt have to

id also like it so pnames and texture1 lumps are merged aswell, and deleting extra markers :) or extra textures are added to these lumps when importing new ones

XWE doesnt seem to be able to handle large files either, if i scroll so far down it gives me an error saying that the file has run out and is still running

Hey there, thanks for the list. Let's see then:

1) Merging: when you merge WAD files, XWE doesn't do it's "recognize the lump by lump name" thing. This doesn't mean that XWE doesn't know what the entries are, it does, all is fine. You don't have to manually do anything. To update the list all you have to close the WAD file and re-open. I guess that's a bit annoying. It can be fixed.

2) Merging pnames and texture1 is on my todo list, this has been asked a lot of times. It's just that this feature is not so straightforward, but I'll do it (eventually :-)

3) Not sure what you mean by large files. I routinely test XWE with "large" WADs (>5000 lumps, >50MB), never run into any problems. Can you reproduce this error, and tell me the exact error message?

Anything else you can think of?

i tried again, but it didnt work
but thats what i remember doing at the time :) and its done it a few times

EDIT: id also like to point out another problem iv had too

say that you select to only show patches
and you delete one or more of them, it will bounce you back to the top of the list :( its pretty annoying when you have alot there

Csabo said:
1) Merging: when you merge WAD files, XWE doesn't do it's "recognize the lump by lump name" thing. This doesn't mean that XWE doesn't know what the entries are, it does, all is fine. You don't have to manually do anything. To update the list all you have to close the WAD file and re-open. I guess that's a bit annoying. It can be fixed.

It identifies the lumps, but what it doesn't do is sort them under markers; so if you merge two PWADs with sets of flats, sprites and patches each, you get two separate lists of each type. Relatedly, couldn't there be a "sort" command to arrange lumps in the standard or established fashions?

I've looked into this a bit, and it seems that it's not that Wintex merges the WADs. It just calls DeuSF with the -join parameter. I sure can do that too, so I did it :-) The old "Merge" command has been renamed to "Join (add lumps only)" and there's a new Megre command which is now identical to the one in Wintex.

I also fixed the lumps not identified issue. The sort is a good idea myk, I'm adding it to my todo list.

Xtife, I couldn't get that problem: when I filter the list to Patches (or whatever else) and delete some lumps, the selection stays where it was before. It didn't jump to the top for me.

Grab the beta if you're interested.

i tried the beta, it still jumps for me when deleting stuff filtered, it also jumps when i undo something

the new merge function does not work, it doesnt merge anything at all

EDIT: saw what myk said, yes that is indeed the problem i have found
it sometimes gives the "floor" tag to patches aswell, which creates even more problems

it only lets me changes the type of one lump, and not everything in my selection

EDIT: id like to see lumps overwritin with the same name (see below)

Xtife said:
id also like to see if it can recognize lumps with the same name and delete them with the clean up function, if they are not the same(say like size or something) but have the same name, give the different one a similer name

Neither is a good idea; Doom engines can require similarly named lumps, and even totally identical lumps. An example is the map format, but custom engines or subformats could well use a similar prcedure for other lumps, or an author might want to insert identically named markers or other lumps for whatever reason, and renaming should be done by the user accordingly.

well atleast overwrite lumps with the same names, so i dont have to go looking for them after :)

I'm getting a 'Read beyond end of file' error now and then when I click on another entry I'm getting a 'File was still open' error when I open a wad I'm putting together. File is only at 7,711 kb in size. Wad contains all hires .png's and this first happened when I was working on the HIRESTEX.lmp. File had approx. 100 patches in it when this started happening ...

I'm using version 1.16 and I don't see a more recent version at the homepage ... :)

Anyway in case it is still a problem I managed to extract the HIRESTEX.lmp from the last bak by XWE (used DeePsea) and removed the spaces I used to seperate certain entries (don't know if this actually made a difference or not - I've since added them back in without any problems). I then overwrote the one in the wad with this one using XWE. This seems to have fixed the problem and I've been able to finish the wad.

Is it possible to right click lumps and select replace from that menu? That would reduce confusion and the possibility of overwriting a file I didn't want to change.

Lookin awesome. I'd also like an option to bypass the "Do you want to save these changes" question on various edits (such as a text edit or x/y change, but seperate options for each type)

EDIT! Hey, one more to that right click menu- the option to save that lump entry. That'd make all my WAD editing a total snap!