Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

Anyone see the Wednesday morning 12:01am showing last night?

I drove 300 miles on Monday to Rochester Institute of Technology to visit my friend and watch the midnight showing of this movie with him and his roommates. The theatre started filling up at around 9:00pm I was told from the man stitting next to me. We bought tickets Tuesday morning and arrived at the theatre at 11:30pm and the first theatre was already packed and there was a line going out of the theatre into the lobby.

With good reason, the movie was phenominal. Blew me away. I read The Hobbit about 8 years ago and The Fellowship Of The Ring shortly thereafter. I thought the books were great, but never got around to reading The Two Towers and The Return Of The King. My memories of The Fellowship Of The Ring were vague and the movie did an amazing job rekindling the forgotten magic. If you have read the book recently, you will have one major gripe: the movie is seriously abridged. It would take about 40 hours to read the book out loud, and the movie is only 3 hours. When it ended I could not believe it had been 3 hours. Felt much shorter.

Peter Jackson really should have broken it up into 9 movies. 3 movies for each book. But since I hadn't read the book in so many years, I did not have this experience that the movie was a severely abridged version of the book, which it really was. For me, however, the movie was better than the book. But I think that is mostly because I read the book so long ago. If I had noticed how truncated the movie was, I would definately not think the movie was better than the book. All three guys I saw the movie with had either read the books for the first time or reread them before seeing the movie, so the truncation was quite a factor for them. So a little warning before you see the movie. If you are very familiar with the book, be prepared to be disappointed by slight story changes and major truncation. You can tell the movie was rushed to squeeze all the hobbit goodness into a wee three hours, not nearly enough time for this immense, magnificent piece of work. But despite this flaw, the movie was still amazing, and everyone must see it, whether you hated the books, never read the books, or are an avid fan. Perhaps the very hard core, devote fans of the books can pass on the movie as they will be sorely disappointed by the truncation. But on its own merits as a movie, it's absolutely bad ass. Only one year to wait for the next installment. Until then, I'm gonna watch the movie again.

I wish the books had done for me what the movie did. I'm definately going to reread The Fellowship Of The Ring and the remaining two books now that I've seen the movie.

I still can't figure out what about the movie was so on target, but I'm still shaken up by it and it's been over 12 hours since I saw it. Powerful, powerful movie. Hard to explain, but it is a moving tale. PJ does an excellent job of distilling the urgency to destroy the ring and the very real danger and evil that surrounds it. Can't wait to see the movie again and to read the next two books! Can't believe I never read the other two books.

spoilers? I didn't say a thing about anything except that it rocked. That's all I said, and that 3 hours was no way near enough time.

I know I'm gonna get in trouble for this, but I think a video game of the movie/book would be awesome. You'd be Frodo, and the game would unfold like the story. The whole thing would unfold just as the story does in the book and characters would enter and leave as they do in the book. It would be a looooooooooooooooooooooong game. It would be like an interactive movie.

First and foremost, I think it was the best movie I've ever seen (Although Jurassic Park is still my favorive). Very well made.

I tought expanding Arwen's role was fine, and unlike others have feared, she didn't seem the 'Warrior Princess'. I, did, however, feel that the scene in Bree was cut too much.

Also, to anyone else who saw it, did people in the theater cheer durring the last fight scene.

On another note, to anyone who saw the 12:00 showing, HA. I saw it at 7:30 on Tuesday (My friend works at a movie theater, and he brought me to the employee screening.)

* fredrik wants to see this movie

A book is always better than a movie made of that book. That's just how the Universe works.

If you think the movie is better, you haven't read the book carefully enough.

I agree, I haven't read it carefully enough. That's why this movie has made me reinterested in the books. Thus I want to reread the Fellowship and read the remaining two books. If you read my post carefully enough, you would have picked up the clause that went with my statement that the movie was better than the book.

wow this just makes me whana see it more,

my 2 favorite movies matrix(dosint everybody) and ff movie

Dammit to heck, I want to see Lord of the Rings. Previews for the movie that I've seen on TV look awesome.

I don't know if anybody noticed this or if it was just me. I've never read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but the copy I have of the Hobbit is a hardback bound in a green leather-like material with a slip cover. What is interresting about this book is that it contains some illustrations by Tolkein himself. I decided to read back through the Hobbit before I saw the Fellowship of the Ring this morning, so the images were pretty fresh in my memory. I all I can say is wow. Bilbo's house and Rivendell look exactly like Tolkein drew them. Also, the maps in Bilbo's notes are the same as those linig the front and back few pages of the Hobbit. It was this accuracy that had the greatest impact on me when I was watching the movie.

I gotta wait till boxing day to see it (comes out in Australia then) :( I've recently read the books (started a few years ago, sorta lost interest, brought a nice big hardcover version earlier this year and read through it) so it's still fresh in my mind and I'll probably notice all the stuff that's missing.

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

Jurassic Park is my favorite

*Sigh* Yet again, the novels are better.

Just the first novel. The second novel was a bastardized hybrid of the original novel and the first movie. Hammond really should have died... but noooo can't kill the elderly, wouldn't be kosher.

wow this just makes me whana see it more

Yeah, I am gradually getting more interested as the praise comes in. I'll go with the intent of being able to bash it, but I really do hope they impress me.

my 2 favorite movies matrix(dosint everybody)

FUCK NO.

Yeah, Jurassic Park was my favorite movie until I read the book - the book kicks arse and The Lost World (the book, NOT the movie)is just as good.

I haven't read the LotR books (one of the reviews I've read states that this'll be an advantage when watching the movie) and I'll still wait till after Christmas before I'll go see it.

- But you can bet that I'm looking forward to that experience!

No, that reviewer is an idiot.

Definitely read the books. It is not detracting to the movie experience in any way. (That's goddamn high praise for an adaptation, btw)

Hell, you might actually understand how to spell some of the names they keep tossing out. :)

The great thing about the movie is that enough extra stuff was added to make it a whole new experience for those of us who have read the books.

The Dune novels, on the other hand, can never be made into decent movies. They are so long that the movies would have to be about 10 hours per book (there are currently 9 books). They still wouldn't be very good considering (at least in Frank Herbert's novels) that most of the plot is carried out in internal monologues (and sometimes dialogues).

The Dune novels, on the other hand, can never be made into decent movies. They are so long that the movies would have to be about 10 hours per book (there are currently 9 books). They still wouldn't be very good considering (at least in Frank Herbert's novels) that most of the plot is carried out in internal monologues (and sometimes dialogues).

The Sci Fi channel showed a fairly good adaptation of the Dune novel into a 6-hour miniseries. I have it on DVD. It r0x0rs my c0x0rs.

Same guys are doing the next two books (Messiah and Children) in another miniseries. It'll probably be good as well.

The Sci Fi channel showed a fairly good adaptation of the Dune novel into a 6-hour miniseries. I have it on DVD. It r0x0rs my c0x0rs.

Same guys are doing the next two books (Messiah and Children) in another miniseries. It'll probably be good as well.

Yeah, I saw that. It was pretty damn acurate, but visualy dissatisfying. I think they tried too hard to not look like David Lynch's Dune (which was based off of artistic rendations by the guy who did the original covers). The costumes in the new one were way the Hell too elegant.

Some of the new costumes I thought were too fancified (Irulan's butterfly dress, for example), but for the most part I thought they fit well--I mean, come on, these are the decadent rulers of entire planets and systems and stuff, they ought to look the part.

They weren't working with too large a budget, and some parts of it were filmed on a play stage, but for all that it worked well.

yea i saw the movie today, never read the books but i wish i did. now i dont have time to read them. it was a good movie and i like the fight sences alot.