Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

desperately after "NJ_SOH"

A great little SOH replacement for doom 1, having it would really bring back some nostalgia, if anyone has it (its nowhere on idgames, nor does enjay have it still) then could you please send it to romeoskiss4u@hotmail.com (yeah I know, it's just an address I made up in my teens when meeting girls from the net). I know he's combined a few of the levels into his other wads, but they just aren't the same...

Funduke: No need, I've already found the original, I have the doom2 and zdoom versions, but they're nothing like the original.

Deathz0r: I'm really after wads on cover cd's, do you have any way of uploading them?

OK, for all you crazy people who want to wallow in the 128 tall, misaligned, overly bright, under detailed goodness of my 1994 stuff, I've just sent some files to /incoming.

nj_soh1 - I think this is probably the same version of NJSOH linked to in this thread. I'm not convinced it is the original version, but It's certainly pretty old: the oldest I have.

njdoom2 - there are 2 files uploaded njdoom2 (which got corrupted on upload) and njdoom2a which is the same file successfully uploaded. I only mention this in case someone is perusing /incoming trying to work out what the files are. Again, I'm not convinced this is the oldest version of the file but it is pretty old. I edited it to remove the 2 secret levels. These were just modified versions of the id originals, changed to make them look (very) slightly more like the Wolf originals and giving credit for the secret areas. No great loss. NJDoom2 is essentially a conversion of NJDoom to Doom2.

njkd1a - My Knee Deep replacement. NJKD was released after NJ_SOH. Again this is probably not the original (I think it is a first revision/bugfix), but it is an old file.

njdoom - njsoh, njkd and njinf compiled into a doom1 replacement. NJINF was released on its own at some point, but that file seems to be lost in the mists of time. If anyone has it, I'd like to get hold of it.

nj_castl - an early attempt at a DM WAD. It's a 1994 DM wad, so is set up for single play and has monsters. It's also too big for a DM, but what did we know "back in the day"? :)

nj_wads - a compilation of my first 2 wads. I think I originally released them separately, but shortly afterwards stuck them in a zip and uploaded them together. This is a copy of the compilation.

All the above files were uploaded to the CompuServe Action Games Forum in 1994. They are simple and primitive. They will contain bugs - not least of which will be due to the fact that the version of BSP back then used to build nodes that created invisible walls all over the place - although I did try to catch them all (like Pokemon). No guarantees of any kind are made about these wads, other than they may make you ill. Have fun.

Do I have any other early WADs? Well, there are a couple of revisions of njdoom but I'm just going to upload the oldest one I have. In 2001, I face-lifted the levels slightly to make them into Zdoom levels. Still quite primitive, the process helped me learn Zdoom mapping. That file is already in the archive.

I mentioned that NJINF (My Inferno replacement) got lost, but a version is compiled in NJDOOM.

There were 2 more maps that I would like to have had. One was based on level 1 of "Eye of the Beholder" an old AD&D game by SSI/Westwood Studios and another one based on a Wolfenstein level. Unfortunately, despite the fact they were "from scratch" builds I mentioned the inspiration for the level in the text and CompuServe rejected them on that basis. Heavily modified versions did eventually appear in NJDoom/NJDoom2 but the originals were lost. Shame, the EOB level was quite interesting, well - kinda-sorta. They would have been about the 3rd and 4th (or maybe 4th and 5th) levels I ever did. I can't remember if nj_castl came before or after them.

Whatever, if and when the files make it to /newstuff you can download and marvel at the full horror of them. ;)

Oh, OK, I didn't think any of them were there. Guess I should have checked.

They aren't in /newstuff yet. When uploading files, you send them to /incoming then Ty (who is in charge of the archive) vets the files and puts them in /newstuff temporarily and a suitable permanent home. I just got word from Ty that he won't be able to do this until the weekend. /incoming is upload only, so you can't get them from there.

"Patience, for the Jedi it is time to eat as well." - Master Yoda. ;)

Enjay said:

They aren't in /newstuff yet. When uploading files, you send them to /incoming then Ty (who is in charge of the archive) vets the files and puts them in /newstuff temporarily and a suitable permanent home. I just got word from Ty that he won't be able to do this until the weekend.

"Patience, for the Jedi it is time to eat as well." - Master Yoda. ;)

Heh, tried getting them from from incoming:

[R] RETR njdoom2.txt
[R] 553 Permission denied; an "incoming" directory is for uploading only.
[R] Transfer Failed

Seems a bit unusual that you can't download newstuff-pending files.

invictius said:

Seems a bit unusual that you can't download newstuff-pending files.

One of the things Ty does is to ensure the files comply with id's and other legal requirments. /incoming not being downloadable means the idgames archive will not be distributing files that have not gone through that process.