Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

jdoom addon questions

I've had some real problems with pk3 files, namely the skies addon, the resource pack, models and the environment pack. There seem to be a lot of redundant files in my directories, but it seems to be the only way that my jdoom install will work. I'll post my dir listing below, and see if you can advise me of any files I can delete that shouldn't be needed, and how pk3's are meant to be used:

(all are in c:\dooms)

http://www.eftel.com/~marksmith/doom/

BTW - You seem to be using REALLY old versions of the various resource packs.

Why have you unpacked all of them into your Doomsday directory? You don't need to do that.

Understandbly you're gonna end up with files everywhere if you do that (jDRP alone has over 100 seperate files if unpacked).

I would suggest you start again from a fresh Doomsday install.

DaniJ said:

BTW - You seem to be using REALLY old versions of the various resource packs.

Why have you unpacked all of them into your Doomsday directory? You don't need to do that.

Understandbly you're gonna end up with files everywhere if you do that (jDRP alone has over 100 seperate files if unpacked).

I would suggest you start again from a fresh Doomsday install.

Heh, actually, I followed the instructions to the letter, when md2's didn't work, I tried putting them in another folder, the same thing for the skies, until they worked. would having the RP unpacked alone cause slowdown? Also, where can I get the new resource packs? The latest I've heard of are 1.1 alpha...

Heh, actually, I followed the instructions to the letter, when md2's didn't work, I tried putting them in another folder, the same thing for the skies, until they worked.

To which instructions are you referring? They would appear to be out of date.

All you need to do with the jDRP (for example) is to put jDRP.PK3 in Data/jDoom/Auto, put jDRP.DED in Defs/jDoom.

would having the RP unpacked alone cause slowdown?

Not per-say but it depends on how much stuff you've got unpacked in your Doomsday folder...

Also, where can I get the new resource packs?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74815

If you don't want to use Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3 as I sugegsted in the other thread, I would recommend you download Doomsday 1.8.6 from the link above (do a fresh install) as that includes the new launcher - Snowberry which I think you'll find much easier to use than KickStart.

jDRP 1.1 is still in development, there is a 1.1-alpha available containing some of newer models that will be in 1.1 but is not recommended for day-to-day use.

I hate to ask n00b questions, but does the JDRP include models, and where should I put the environment pack? Honestly, I've been told with the pk3's that they automaticly show up in kickstart addons. That's why my directory is a convoluted mess - I've been extracting and extracting until everything worked.

EDIT: Done the above suggestions. No models or high-res textures.

I hate to ask n00b questions, but does the JDRP include models...

Yes.

...where should I put the environment pack?

Slide is the author of that pack so I'd suggest you check http://slide.newdoom.com/

I've been told with the pk3's that they automaticly show up in kickstart addons.

Correct.

That's why my directory is a convoluted mess - I've been extracting and extracting until everything worked.

That would explain a lot.

Done the above suggestions. No models or high-res textures.

I don't know where you've put the textures but if you've put the jDRP files where I suggested then it will work.

You are loading jDRP.DED arn't you? (either automatically via the KickStart profile or manually)

Just to confirm - which version of Doomsday are you using now and which launcher?

DaniJ said:

Yes.
Slide is the author of that pack so I'd suggest you check http://slide.newdoom.com/
Correct.
That would explain a lot.

I don't know where you've put the textures but if you've put the jDRP files where I suggested then it will work.

You are loading jDRP.DED arn't you? (either automatically via the KickStart profile or manually)

Just to confirm - which version of Doomsday are you using now and which launcher?

The only thing that got models working was putting them in /md2/jdoom, and adding models.ded manually. Textures only worked by putting them in \data\jdoom\textures. All uncompressed, e.g not in a pk3. Putting the pk3's where you suggested didn't work, I wish I could show you this, but 1) I don't think you can zip the install and successfully run it on another system and 2) the zip would be huge. I've got it running with the minimum amount of clutter, and it seems a bit faster. There are a few ded's that are unchecked, which I might try deleting. I installed the beta of doomsday that you reccommended, and snowberry 1.1.

Start again and this time follow these walk through instructions exactly. Since you're now using Snowberry - the whole process is 100 times easier since you don't have to go anywhere near your Doomsday folder.

Download Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3 from here http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/deng/deng-1.9.0-beta3-setup.exe?download

Download jDoom-resource-pack-1.01.zip AND the jDoom-resource-pack-1.01-zip.manifest from here (make sure they both go into the same download folder) http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=74815&package_id=93229

Install Doomsday & Snowberry using deng-1.9.0-beta3-setup.exe, simply follow the on-screen instructions.

Start up Snowberry, the Installation Wizard should start automatically which helps you to find your IWADS and to configure the installation options.

When the wizard has finished:

Click on the Addons tab then click on the + button to install a new addon. This opens up the Addon Installer.

Click on the ... button next to the folder path, this opens up the Windows "Browse for Folder" dialog, navigate to the folder where you downloaded jDRP (and the manifest to) and then click Ok.

You'll now be back at the Addon Installer dialog. Find jDRP in the list and then click Install.

You'll now see jDoom Resource Pack under the Compatible Addons section (when you have any of the DOOM games selected). All you need to do is put a tick in the box next to jDoom Resource Pack when you want to use it.

Just a sidenote before I proceed - the manifest seems to just be a text file

That is correct.

An "Addon Manifest" tells Snowberry/Doomsday how to load older resource packs/addons which have not been designed to work with Snowberry natively.

Is "Snowberry" available as a stand-alone download or does it necessarily come packaged with the engine?

DaniJ: OK, followed your instructions to the letter - fixed everything but textures. I still need the png's in \data\jdoom\textures.

Are you using the jDTP (jDoom Texture Pack)? Or are you using the old D2Retex stuff?

I know for a fact that jDTP can be installed the exact same way you just did with the jDRP (except jDTP doesn't require an addon manifest).

DaniJ said:

Are you using the jDTP (jDoom Texture Pack)? Or are you using the old D2Retex stuff?

I know for a fact that jDTP can be installed the exact same way you just did with the jDRP (except jDTP doesn't require an addon manifest).

I didn't know there was such a thing.

DaniJ: When I tried your instructions, enabling the bfg and fireball mods disabled models. With my old snowberry install, they work fine, but the cyberdemon doesn't show up in d2 map 20.

One thing I don't like about snowberry - the standard sounds in menus have been replaced.

That has nothing to do with Snowberry... it's a known (minor) bug in jDoom with Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3 (it has been fixed for the next beta).

Is "Snowberry" available as a stand-alone download or does it necessarily come packaged with the engine?

It used to be available as a seperate download (during the early Snowberry beta periods) but now it's packaged in with the Doomsday distros.

When I tried your instructions, enabling the bfg and fireball mods disabled models. With my old snowberry install, they work fine, but the cyberdemon doesn't show up in d2 map 20.

I don't know what mods you're referring to.

All I know is that if you follow those instructions ALL jDRP 1.01's models will work 100% correctly. Unless of course you have installed other addons which are conflicting with jDRP...

DaniJ said:

That has nothing to do with Snowberry... it's a known (minor) bug in jDoom with Doomsday 1.9.0-beta3 (it has been fixed for the next beta).
It used to be available as a seperate download (during the early Snowberry beta periods) but now it's packaged in with the Doomsday distros.
I don't know what mods you're referring to.

All I know is that if you follow those instructions ALL jDRP 1.01's models will work 100% correctly. Unless of course you have installed other addons which are conflicting with jDRP...

I actually didn't install the bfg or fireball mods in snowberry, but all I was using was the RP and EP, which somehow caused the cyberdemon to stop showing up. You did say its a beta, and the version I was using before was pretty stable - after all, it had been around for a year. It's slower, but everything seems to work. Oh, the bfg and fireball mods show up under "addons" in kickstart, and they're ded's, which seem to come with kickstart.

I actually didn't install the bfg or fireball mods in snowberry, but all I was using was the RP and EP, which somehow caused the cyberdemon to stop showing up. You did say its a beta, and the version I was using before was pretty stable - after all, it had been around for a year. It's slower, but everything seems to work.

The problem you are having is nothing to do with Doomsday 1.9.0 being in beta, the problem is definetly a conflict between the addons you're using.

Try disabling the Environment Pack and see if that fixes your CyberDemon problem.

Oh, the bfg and fireball mods show up under "addons" in kickstart, and they're ded's, which seem to come with kickstart.

If I'm correct the ones you're talking about - are extremely old addons that do NOT work correctly with jDRP. Disable them, they do not add anything that is not already included in jDRP.

DaniJ said:

Or are you using the old D2Retex stuff?

Is that available anywhere anymore? I have the JDRP and the Risen versions of the texture packs. However, when D2RTx came out, I didn't have the download speed for it. I'd just like to compare it with the newer ones and see what's what.

Is that available anywhere anymore?

I'm not sure. The project's old homepage seems to be down at least.

DaniJ said:

The problem you are having is nothing to do with Doomsday 1.9.0 being in beta, the problem is definetly a conflict between the addons you're using.

Try disabling the Environment Pack and see if that fixes your CyberDemon problem.

If I'm correct the ones you're talking about - are extremely old addons that do NOT work correctly with jDRP. Disable them, they do not add anything that is not already included in jDRP.

Disabled, still the same problem. Oh, and I've never seen the bfg act "realisticly" (e.g partictles) when using the RP.

Let me get this straight:

When you disable ALL addons, DEDs, PWADs whatever, EXCEPT jDRP and simply run Doomsday with jDoom - the Cyberdemon doesn't show up on MAP20?

Does he appear in other maps (eg MAP07)?