Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hellothere1

I'm looking for a source port that can...

I just bought Doom yesterday and I wanted to know if there was a source port that is:

1. Able to use the mouse to aim (doom95.exe wouldn't do this for me)
2. Able to select which map I want to play (that's the only thing I liked about doom95.exe)
3. *optional* Able to play in resolutions of up to 1600x1200 and have OpenGL support (I don't NEED this, but if it exists, I'll take it)

Those first 2 are a must, so if there aren't any source ports that can do all 3, I will take one that can do the first 2.

You don't need just a port - you need a port and a launcher. My recommendations are GZDoom for your port (high resolution, mouselook, and OpenGL), and ZDL 3 for your launcher.

For multiplayer, if you want to play that, i recommend skulltag.com]Skulltag. It doesn't have OpenGL, but mouseaim and ability to choose which level to play DM/Coop/CTF/Other gametype on is there. It also have bots to help you get a feel of the new stuff Skulltag introduces.

Jon said:
Albeit illegally.

Eh? As far as I know it's under the '97 license, not the GPL.

invictius said:

JDOOM all the way! At least, with models and high res textures... make doom look as good as quake 3!

Only if and when DaniJ finishes the next version of the Doomsday Resource Pack. A lot of people (myself included) are not big fans of the current set of stuff.

TheDarkArchon said:

Only if and when DaniJ finishes the next version of the Doomsday Resource Pack. A lot of people (myself included) are not big fans of the current set of stuff.

What's wrong with them as they are now? Sure, 3 years ago, the models looked a little sucky, but there are a few different versions of models etc...