Find results in...
Naked Snake

Your firearm

Do you own a firearm?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a firearm?

• Yes I do
    • No I do not

What firearms do you own, if any? What animals, if any, do you generally hunt with it? If you do not own a firearm, which one would you like to own if given the opportunity?

I own a Marlin Model 60 semi-automatic .22 (fires .22 LR) and now I have a kick-ass scope. Holds 14 rounds and takes about 7 seconds to shoot that off. I haven't really used it for hunting yet, but I will hunt squirrels (I don't eat them, people I know do, so therefore I'll shoot them), rabbit and other small game with it (I don't hunt for purely for sport, I eat what I kill and not to take a trophy).

Thing is a tack-driver (AKA an extremely accurate firearm), especially with the right ammo. I need to get a scope for the damn thing soon but I need to get a mount and stuff as well.

EDIT : though I don't OWN these guns, we still have them in our house.

Two Remington 870 shotguns, 1 chambered in 20 gauge, the other chambered in 12 gauge with a Magnum reciever.

A single-shot .22 Remington Winchester (it can fire .22 Short, .22 Long, .22LR) that is antique

And finally, a double-barrel shotgun (dunno what gauge) that is unfireable due to a cracked stock.

Nautilus said:

That's ideal for living near downtown Rochester.

Hrm? Yeah, considering downtown Rochester is an hour away from me ;) (that is, if you drive 65 the whole way there, which means ignoring speedlimits)

Nah, the Marlin Model 60 is very impractical for self-defense, as the loading time is very long, even loading a single shell can be time-consuming (time-consuming in self-defense situations means micro-seconds to regular seconds)

Not that I care, I'm not planning on shooting a home invader if I don't have to anyway, hopefully a gun pointed at them would make them leave without me having to fire.

I don't own a firearm. Don't really wish to do so either. I used a glock17, AK5 (5.56) and KSP (Machinegun, forgot what the calibre was 7.26 or something) in the army though. They were all fun. They didn't let me bring any of them home though. :p

ruger 10/22 semi-auto lr carbine with 10 round clip
s&w .44 magnum
mossberg 500a 12 gauge shotgun with 24" and 28" barrels chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells

I used to hunt deer and pheasant, but haven't since early highschool/jr high. I may get back into it.

Here in the UK we obviously don't own live ammo at home (except shotguns on farms and a few other rural exceptions) but I've got a airguns.

B2 .22 single shot pellet. Carbine barrel break-action. 12-13lbs/sqft muzzle @ 700fps (I think). This is cheap and chinese but it packs almost as much punch as a licensed hunting rifle. It will take out vermin and small game. I have a 4x15 scope on it.

.22 single shot pellet pistol. Like a short air rifle really. Looks a bit like a Luger. Powerful for a pistol.

The ubiquitous .177 G10 BB pistol. Who hasn't owned one?

Plainsman BB repeater rifle. Quite powerful, pump-action BB gun that can put dents in a garage door. Very light and compact, good fun. Holds about 40 steel BBs in magazine since I modified it. Offensive!

Makarov CO2 BB pistol. CO2 based BB internals housed in a Makarov 9mm. One of the coolest things I own. Comes with all the signatures from the Russian factory. Looks just like the real 9mm so a great defensive weapon in case of break-in. Also packs quite a punch while the CO2 cartridge lasts, face shot would probably require hospitalisation. Of course being CO2 it's semi-auto. The law on private ownership of these is being reviewed here :( Lives under lock and key in my bedside table.

Only 'proper' guns I've used are .776 British military SA80s which I was trained to strip, clean and operate at school in the cadets. Not my favourite tbh. I used to shoot live .22 @ 50 yards in competitions for my school, I think those were generic German rifles.

Quast said:

I used to hunt deer and pheasant, but haven't since early highschool/jr high. I may get back into it.

You hunted peasants? :O

pritch said:

*list*

Do any of those shoot darts too? I had a BB gun rifle that could shoot BBs, pellets and darts.

I have three guns.

First is a 20 gauge 870. Good all around gun, very light to carry.

Below that is a 12 gauge Browning Auto-5 semiautomatic shotgun. In fact, the Auto-5 was the first auto-shotgun ever produced (made from 1903-2000). My particular gun is a 1959 gun, and it is a bit of a beater (got it used). This gun is probably the softest recoiling shotgun I have ever shot.

Last is a Thompson Center "Classic" semi-auto .22 rifle. Feeds from 5 round clips. These guns have the reputation of being pretty much the most accurate current production .22 out of the box. There are a few hangups about the gun (I'm left handed and it sometimes lets a bit of burning powder out of the action when cycling, and I would rather have a tube fed gun), but overall it is very nice.

I use my guns for shooting clays (especially trap), plinking, and I hunt for pheasant, rabbit, and mourning dove (the emo bird).

I have a Russian SKS 45... extremely accurate for a military rifle. A Mosin 44 carbine, also very accurate, and pretty damn powerful. I was shooting holes through a foot and a half thick log last weekend. A mossberg 500 with a 28 inch barrel, 12 gauge. And another 12 gauge mossberg with an 18 inch barrel and a top folding stock, front and rear pistol grips. A smith and wesson .357 magnum. A mauser m98, which I rarely use as the sites are near impossible to use and all the surplus ammo I can find for it is crap, cases get stuck in the chamber after firing quite often. It works fine with new ammunition, but that's around 20 dollars a box, which I don't really think is worth it. I also have a 10 gauge double barrel, but the stock is busted and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

I don't personally own my own guns (only 18), but I use my dad's 10/22 and sometimes the .357 mag.

Dr. Zin said:

and I hunt for pheasant, rabbit, and mourning dove (the emo bird).

Again with the peasants, sure they're kind of goofy most of them. But I am pretty sure ti's illegal. Even if they smell like cow-dung.

BTW; good thing you're killing the mourning doves. Would be a damn shame to kill one that is happy. Although, if you did you would probably have a bunch of mourning doves that you could cap off right afterwards. It's like they say. Violence, breed only violence.

Bloodshedder said:

What model? I've been looking to get a .357 magnum myself.

It's a 586 L-frame. Excellent handgun. My dad actually got it for me for my birthday. They're around 160-220 dollars. http://www.pyramydair.com/images/sm_ws6_black.jpg
There's a good picture of it, only difference is mine has blaze orange on the front sight. I have a six inch barrel on mine, it's very accurate for a handgun, and since it's a revolver it's very reliable. I'd highly recommend them. It also fires .38 special rounds without a problem. Just wear ear protection when you fire the .357 rounds, I forgot to do that once, makes you go deaf for quite a while. The next handgun I'm probably going to get is a Redhawk, I've always wanted a .44 magnum. That or a colt .45.

I also really want a Saiga 12k, but they're hard to find. The only ones I can find are in 20 ga. An SVT-40 would be awesome as well... and a Dragunov would too. I fired one a few years ago, extremely accurate, and that 7.62x54 round is one of the best military rounds available.

Scuba Steve said:

I do not own any penis compensation devices.

I'll drop mine on your forehead and you tell me if I'm compensating ;)

Jello : how's the recoil on a .357 Magnum?

BBG said:

Jello : how's the recoil on a .357 Magnum?

Actually it's not that bad at all. I have more problems firing a .45 than a .357. The .357 round actually feels pretty smooth, it kicks, but it's not that bad. I can fire off all six rounds in ten seconds, and still get all of them to hit in a 2 foot circle. The muzzle flare is pretty cool though. Shoot one at dusk and you'll see. I went shooting with my dad a week ago, and I fired off the six rounds rapidly, and when I was done he said "Nice flamethrower you've got there."

Still, the most impressive muzzle flare I've seen is from my Mosin Nagant. Extends about 2 feet from the barrel. Also, if you're standing close to someone firing that thing, you can feel it. My girlfriend was firing it, and I was about two feet away, and a foot behind her, and my pants were blown back against my legs. Those are awesome rifles.

I have a rubber band gun. And it's a six shooter biotch. Actually I think I could load seven rubber bands on it. I don't feel like looking for it now.

You know there's actually such thing as a rubber band gatling gun? That sucker must take forever to load though.

The Marlin Model 60 and the Ruger 10/22 are both good guns. You can find the basic models for under $200.

If you want to spend a bit more the T/C Classic (what I've got) is very nice, and runs about $350. If you like paying tons of money the Browning SA-22 is kind of cool (feeds from a tube in the stock and ejects to the bottom, as well as breaking down into two pieces if you want to transport it) but is pretty pricey, $450 in my area.

Oh yeah, ignore the MSRP's on these sites. They tend to be significatly higher than what you would actually pay. If I was going to buy a .22 today I'd probably get the Model 60 or the 10/22, as they are the best bang for the buck. The main difference you will notice between them is the magazine. The Marlin has a fixed tube magazine that is easier to load (in my opinion) and holds more rounds. The 10/22 uses a clip, so you can buy a couple of extra ones and be able to shoot alot of shots between reloads.

Bucket said:

I've been looking to get a .22 one day. What do you recommend?

If you're looking for a rifle, a Remington (dunno what make, doesn't matter really) or a Marlin. For a pistol, Ruger makes some kick-ass .22LR pistols.

I like my dad's Ruger 10/22. If you can, make sure to get one with a wooden stock and preferably the stainless steel barrel.

BBG said:

If you're looking for a rifle, a Remington (dunno what make, doesn't matter really) or a Marlin. For a pistol, Ruger makes some kick-ass .22LR pistols.

I'd stay away from the Remington 597. The 597 has had a ton of issues with it, from bad magazines to improper assembly. At another forum I visit the Remington section is full of people trying to trouble shoot their 597's. Of course the rest of Remington's designs seem pretty good, but they are more expensive.

One cool one is the 552, which can shoot .22 shorts, longs and long rifles interchangeably. It also has a built in deflector which is nice for lefty's. They are pretty expensive new ($400), but I have seen perfectly good used ones for under $200.