Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Some questions...

Rather then spamming up Doomworld with several topics consisting of questions, I decided just to make this one.

Jokewad of the year -- this. I loved it, for a jokewad. I just couldn't find a fucking BFG to kill the fucking WMull. So I used a fucking IDFA to get a fucking BFG. I was fucking loved the part when deathz0r helps me to kill the NewDoom retards. I was fucking enjoyed to help the Doomworld guys to kill WMull. Fucking 5/5- Moti

Are most Doom Fans like this? <_<
2. Why haven't any source ports mastered the art of 3D enemies?
3. Why do most people make fun of NewDoom? Is this "Friendly teasing"? Or is it actual hatred?
4. What's with that weird sound the chainsaw sometimes makes?

1: Fortunatly not.
2: Ni idea
3: I don't know the others, personaly I don't hate them but for some reason that I can't be sure wich I tend to take it as the pussy version of Doomworld, also the name it's a bit dumb, and something happens there that even Bloodskull (ex shadowrunner) after his terrible humiliation here joined Newdoom, received a good welcome and good comments for his maps, but eventualy returned to Doomworld with a diferent nickname and stays here even with his not that admirable reputation.
4: I'm not sure what are you talking about, most probably a bug.

1. There's quite a healthy share of such types, predominantly constitued by those who are former users of Doom Connector and Skulltag Online.

2. Check out jDoom and Risen 3D. Who would want 3D models in Doom anyway besides the fans and creators of the said ports?

3. Both.

4. wtf

Nautilus said:

4. wtf

The chainsaw sound I'm thinking of is the one that plays when you pull out your chaingun and put it away real quickly

Ahh, you originally said "chaingun".
Anyways, I'm not really sure as to why it does that, but if my memory serves me (and trust me, it usually doesn't), then there was some sort of glitch where the chainsaw was supposed to trigger that sound, but turned out not to. I'm not sure, but now that you've brought it up, I'd really like to know too. :)

It's fun to make that sound. I've also wondered myself sometimes why it does that. I didn't know what you meant at first since you referred to it erroneously as the "chaingun".

That wierd sound you sometimes hear is actually part of the saw attack sound. Its just that the next frame's sound codepointer interrupts it. Sometimes it doesn't, like when you pause the game while attacking with the chainsaw.

1. Haha, I'd like to think not. Of all the Doom fans I've talked to, both online and off, I don't think any of them have been quite that..."colorful" with their choice of words.

2. As mentioned, Risen and Jdoom (Doomsday) support Quake 2 style 3D models, but they're far from professional. While they generally retain a pretty accurate portroyal of the enemies/other sprites (and, at least to me, are good enough looking that I can stand having the 3D option on) the animation is usually spotty and has a bit of an amatuerish presenation overall.

3. I wouldn't know anything about this. Though I've been to NewDoom a number of times and, I think it's a pretty factual statement that their "classic Doom" community is very small and often out of the spotlight, while Doomworld focuses almost exclusively on projects pertaining to "classic Doom." This could be a possible reason.

4. That's interesting; I've never experienced that.

rf` said:
That wierd sound you sometimes hear is actually part of the saw attack sound. Its just that the next frame's sound codepointer interrupts it. Sometimes it doesn't, like when you pause the game while attacking with the chainsaw.

Yeah, it's merely the full sound (easy to verify opening the IWAD with XWE or something like that.) It's common if you end the level while sawing thin air.

Similar effects occur with other sounds; like the Chaingun sound for monsters (HWD and Spiderdemon) being the Shotgun sound, but cut off except on the last shot (and occasinally there too if the monster does its "active" sound), or when you do the "silent BFG".

the reason is because the two fight a lot for some stupid reason, it involved WMull pre-banning DW users and stuff like that if I recall. Just stupid internet war stuff like that. Yeah at one point it was pretty bad, Newdoom was hacked and vandalized. For certain people it's real anger at the site and for others its bandwagon anger (just because they enjoy defending one community) and others dont really care. I dunno stuff like that, thats just some of it.

Heh also,

1. What does IDDQD mean? Why is that the cheat for god mode?
2. Why do some weapons replacements replace the wolfenstein Nazi with a former human?

Craigs said:

2. Why do some weapons replacements replace the wolfenstein Nazi with a former human?

Some DeHackEd-based weapon mods opted to do this, mainly to get more states to use elsewhere (like on the weapons) - the SS Nazi is usually the first one to go, because you never see many serious maps that use SS Nazis anyway (the only ones I can think of offhand are TNT2, and the Wolfendoom series).