Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frederick the Great

The Rise and Fall of Internet Communities

It vexes me somewhat to think that one day no one will play original doom.

Will you always continue to play doom? For me I have never lost interest since 1993. And yet for all this, I ponder in great depth at the nightmarish scenario that I will one day be part of an extinct people.

Will we still play doom when we're eighty? I like to think I will. I see no reason why the human brain insn't capable of doing such tasks at old age. Since the 1960s there has been a renaissance in both mind and spirit, where people have become more aware of the world around them.

Sadly, old people who fought in the second world war missed this renaissance. When it came, their minds were already stagnated by views and morals that had finally been swept aside by two world wars and a sexual liberation. Their age denied them this renaissance, because they were too old to be a part of it. Two world wars took a toll on this generation. Only the young could take hold of the golden chalice, and pave the way for the highest point of liberty man has yet achieved.

As a result, generation after generation the 60s has carried with it the values that today grant us the privilege to surf the internet, enjoy casual sex and enjoy the pleasures of holidays abroad. Openess to new ideas and innoventive thinking has increased our understanding of the universe, allowed us to have 30000 channels, 100 types of chocolate bar & numerous doom wads.

But will all that last forever? Will these examples that we hold as part of our civilizaton, will they remain in 50 years? If not, will we still be using them? Will we miss another great renaissance that again brings more liberty to the human race?

I get so worried that one day I'll be the only guy on the net that plays doom.

doom is alright, i guess. i don't know what the fuck it has to do with sexual liberation though

no, it won't last forever. it can't

Quast said:
i don't know what the fuck it has to do with sexual liberation though

Ask Taylor...

Frederick the Great said:

And yet for all this, I ponder in great depth at the nightmarish scenario that I will one day be part of an extinct people.

I pondered this with no depth and decided it's impossible.

It vexes me somewhat to think that one day no one will play original doom.

Nae, vex ye not, for even though doom shall die, the memories shall be everlasting and pure as the fresh spring.

Will you always continue to play doom? For me I have never lost interest since 1993. And yet for all this, I ponder in great depth at the nightmarish scenario that I will one day be part of an extinct people.

It is true that many a time I have awoken, ripped from the tender arms of morpheus by a terrible knawing at the bottom of my scrote, that I too will be part of the Last Guard of doomdom. And I sayeth to the nightmare, Nae! For it is better to have lived life, to be old and rank and smell of cabbage. It is better this than to be young and blind to the world and never live at all.

Will we still play doom when we're eighty? I like to think I will. I see no reason why the human brain insn't capable of doing such tasks at old age. Since the 1960s there has been a renaissance in both mind and spirit, where people have become more aware of the world around them.

Verily, we shall play in the twilight. We shall sit in our home and smoke our pipes whist we wait for our nurses to change our absorbant pants, and whist we wait and sing in our own feculance we shall deathmatch, in spirit if not with code, and ride our wheelchairs 35% faster by going diagonal.

Sadly, old people who fought in the second world war missed this renaissance. When it came, their minds were already stagnated by views and morals that had finally been swept aside by two world wars and a sexual liberation. Their age denied them this renaissance, because they were too old to be a part of it. Two world wars took a toll on this generation. Only the young could take hold of the golden chalice, and pave the way for the highest point of liberty man has yet achieved.

Speak it, brother! The golden chalice of doom, once supped brough forth light when there was much darkness, and enriches the lives of all that play with themselves.

As a result, generation after generation the 60s has carried with it the values that today grant us the privilege to surf the internet, enjoy casual sex and enjoy the pleasures of holidays abroad. Openess to new ideas and innoventive thinking has increased our understanding of the universe, allowed us to have 30000 channels, 100 types of chocolate bar & numerous doom wads.

Indeed, and if you look at 30000 from the side, it looks much like a bum taking a really glorious and giant turd.

But will all that last forever? Will these examples that we hold as part of our civilizaton, will they remain in 50 years? If not, will we still be using them? Will we miss another great renaissance that again brings more liberty to the human race?

I can't keep this up. You are so full of shit you fart instead of burping.

What.
The.
Hell.

I suggest you seek professional help. Or start playing tabletop RPG's. You'd fit right in there.

I often wonder the mortality of such video games like Doom. As of now it seems immortal because it’s available to so many people as well as its digital. As long as there is a cd, hard disk, or cassette tape Doom will exist. Although I also ponder about other Medias such as film and music. After all media is limited with the duration of resources such as archives and master tapes. Also digital data will erase its self over time.

Technician said:

I often wonder the mortality of such video games like Doom. As of now it seems immortal because it’s available to so many people as well as its digital. As long as there is a cd, hard disk, or cassette tape Doom will exist. Although I also ponder about other Medias such as film and music. After all media is limited with the duration of resources such as archives and master tapes. Also digital data will erase its self over time.

The 20th Century will go down as the most recorded century in all history; everyone who owns a computer and uses the internet contributes to this state.

This is very exciting. This is the only few generation able to ever record them selves into history. At one time it took the rich and the powerful and the ultimate cost to be written and archived. Now we have shows for Chrst sakes trying to find half-assed rockstars. Although we are drowning in our own preservation making it very hard to be noticed anyway.

Technician said:

This is very exciting. This is the only few generation able to ever record them selves into history. At one time it took the rich and the powerful and the ultimate cost to be written and archived. Now we have shows for Chrst sakes trying to find half-assed rockstars. Although we are drowning in our own preservation making it very hard to be noticed anyway.

I agree; mediocrity and mass achievement is replacing genius.

Ah Mallis you are the king. King of what I haven't quite worked out yet, but a king none the less.

mallis said:

Nae, vex ye not, for even though doom shall die, the memories shall be everlasting and pure as the fresh spring.

It is true that many a time I have awoken, ripped from the tender arms of morpheus by a terrible knawing at the bottom of my scrote, that I too will be part of the Last Guard of doomdom. And I sayeth to the nightmare, Nae! For it is better to have lived life, to be old and rank and smell of cabbage. It is better this than to be young and blind to the world and never live at all.

Verily, we shall play in the twilight. We shall sit in our home and smoke our pipes whist we wait for our nurses to change our absorbant pants, and whist we wait and sing in our own feculance we shall deathmatch, in spirit if not with code, and ride our wheelchairs 35% faster by going diagonal.

Speak it, brother! The golden chalice of doom, once supped brough forth light when there was much darkness, and enriches the lives of all that play with themselves.

Indeed, and if you look at 30000 from the side, it looks much like a bum taking a really glorious and giant turd.

I can't keep this up. You are so full of shit you fart instead of burping.

I'm turned on by the effort you bestow me; I'll remember your face.

JoelMurdoch said:

Ah Mallis you are the king. King of what I haven't quite worked out yet, but a king none the less.

Inverse Feminine Psychosis

I have been a fan of the game since I played the shareware version one faithful day in 1994. Although I've gone through "phases" where I won't play Doom for awhile, then play it obssessively for a short period of time, then leave it alone again, I have managed to play it on a regular basis in the 11 years I've owned the game. In the last year I've become particularly interested in checking out what the community has had to offer and have experienced sort of a renewed interest in the game, thanks to the creative minds of wad authors. So, I see myself still playing the game many years from now. Hell, there are people who still mod and play old ass Atari games, and that system is well over 20 years old! So that alone should point to the devotion gamers have to their prized gems. HOWEVER, as computer technology progresses and old formats and standards become hideously outdated, it may become progressively more difficult to run Doom.

GoatLord said:
HOWEVER, as computer technology progresses and old formats and standards become hideously outdated, it may become progressively more difficult to run Doom.

That's why we have ports and emulators.

I ponder in great depth at the nightmarish scenario that I will one day be part of an extinct people.

At my friend's Tae Kwon Do (sp?) lesson a few months ago, a visiting Sensi (sp?) of about 80 years old was asked by one of the younger members "Sensi, do you think people will still be using Tae Kwon Do in 1000 years". After a moment of pondering, the Sensi rapped the student on the head with his knuckles and replied "What you care? You be be dead." :P

I'll third this. Fortunately with so many asshats doing the same bland dumbshit there's always room to do what isn't being done regardless of how unpopular it may be with an ignorant unappreciative majority.

Bob Parr (Mr Incredible) said:

It's psychotic! They keep creating new ways to celebrate mediocrity.

insertwackynamehere said:

oohh wait, we're talking about Doom?

Only just. :)

Ouhh.. I wish you only such minor worries bro.

Doom will be still be around until it becomes outlawed by the illuminati, the computers/internet/electricity etc. it needs to run on get made too expensive by the impending oil crisis, or the world gets decimated by a nuclear war or self-inflicted natural disaster.