Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Snarboo

Anyone have Oblivion yet?

I know I don't, but it's only a matter of time before someone here does. I'm curious about how the latest iteration of the Elder Scrolls has turned out, even if I don't plan on owning it for a long time.

I'm getting my copy tomorrow. From what I've heard (user impressions/reviews) it sounds like it's quite spectacular ;)

ill try get it when i have the system that can run it. for my surprise ive read about lots of disappointments.

Linguica said:

it is purty

Hopefully, it'll be more fun to play than its predecessor.

Just got it today, and I have to say it's quite an improvement over morrowind, gameplay wise. The combat is vastly improved and the different 'classes' (melee/mage/stealth) are much better balanced.

Of course the graphics are brilliant too but thats a given :P. Although, in some areas the graphics are pretty bad, for instance landscape in the distance has a really low res texture which looks terrible. Plus things tend to pop up in front of you but that's probably because I have the object distance sliders down a fair way (it chugs like hell with them up).

Still, so far it's a 9/10 from me ;)

AMD 2500+, GeForce 6600GT, 1024mb ram. I get about 15-25fps outdoors, 40+ in towns and generally 60+ indoors, except when theres a lot of lighting.

BlackFish said:

I'm considering buying this game. Is it like an fps? (kinda like Hexen 2)?

Its like the Korax Mod with Hexen, only advanced AI, you know the new school elements.

I got this one on tuesday. Im having a lot of fun with it, but there's some things I wish hadnt changed. Mainly it's the new menu system I dislike. Although it's somewhat more organized, it also displays less information per page, which means more scrolling around trying to find things.

Combat is more interesting now. No more mindlessly mashing the attack key. No you've got to dodge and block. Also, not having to switch between magic and weapons is very convenient.

I had the same issue as SlayeR initially, with regard to the rendering distance. But increasing it just a tad more so that I wouldnt see objects popping up right in front of me didnt impact the framerate too much for me. The only real cause of lag I experience is with complex characters, i.e. the Blades.

Finally we have horses!

So far I'm enjoying it.

Actually there is a horse mod for Morrowind Jason. It'll be in my "Big Ass Mod List" I'll post on our "special place" sometime soon.

Ah nifty. I'd read about some of those mods but was reluctant to "taint" my current morrowind game. Im not planning on giving up on morrowind though so I'll be glad to try it out.

Oh yeah, funniest encounter in Oblivion so far: chasing down an archer and suddenly being over-encumbered because his arrows were stuck in my armor :P

Haha, good stuff.

Some mods do taint savegames, can't be helped cause the game is so complex. Best process is to back up your current game, load the mod and play. If you spot any problems then you can always go to the backup. There are some real time sailing mods too that were absolutely awesome but just too dammed buggy. I had numerous problems and frequent crashes. Also the land layout doesn't really accommodate big ships - too many rocks to smack into. The horse mod however has proven stable bar one or two occasional non serious bugs. At one point the horse insisted on running backwards...

I was just about to walk out the door to buy it, and realized I don't have a dvd-rom drive. Lame!

Job said:

Hopefully, it'll be more fun to play than its predecessor.

I was bored as fuck by Morrowind and I am engrossed by Oblivion so yes, Ling approved.

Seriously it is so god damn purty. by the way guys get a fucking DVD drive. It's 200-fucking-6 for christ's sake, anyone with half a brain can find a DVD drive for like $20 or $30. Or you could just http://direct2drive.com/ ...

For once I agree with Ling. Not having a DVD drive in this day and age, if you're trying to keep up with modern games, is pretty silly. It's clear that's the way things are heading. To say it's lame that a game as huge as Oblivion doesn't come on CD is just plain ridiculous.

I'm considering buying this game. It looks very interesting. My friend loves it.

Hm.

Oh, and DVD drives are cheap as hell now.

I'll get it in a couple weeks probably.
I need to do some car crap first and the greenbacks are tight atm.

whaa...

Linguica said:

...It's 200-fucking-6 for christ's sake, anyone with half a brain can find a DVD drive for like $20 or $30. Or you could just http://direct2drive.com/ ...

How true. DVD drives are the new cd drives people. Get with it already!

Love!

EDIT: Screw it. I just ordered the collectors edtion. Tuesday won't get here fast enough.

Ive gotten my copy yesterday and I played all day and night I believe it was about 03:00 when I switched off my computer.
This game looks so nice im really hooked on it, im currently an level 3 warrior.
Everything looks so detailed like the furniture, what am I doing here I must play Oblivion damnit :)

I've got it. Its a nice game, really, almost everything about it is great. Except the music which I cant stand.

HobbsTiger1 said:

I've got it. Its a nice game, really, almost everything about it is great. Except the music which I cant stand.

C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion\Data\Music or what have you

you can delete the music and plunk in your own MP3s into the appropriate folders and it will work fine.

Mordeth said:

My girlfriend did not give me permission to buy Oblivion :/

There's always the other way. The game has virtually no protection for some reason.

Anyway this game is great.

Just got it yesterday, so far so good. Only have to upgrade my graphics card now (GFFX 5700 just does not cut it).