Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
caco_killer

Nintendo Revolution to offer Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx games. Awesome!

http://www.gamerevolution.com/static/index.php?section=feature&sub=revolution&page=revolution_gdc_2006

Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution's Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a "best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution's access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES(R), Super NES(R) and Nintendo(R) 64 eras.

The Revolution sounds better and better the more I hear about it. Nintendo definitely has Microsoft and Sony beat when it comes to backwards compatibility.

gamerevolution said:
"best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles
fan-favorite Nintendo games

So, at best they'll offer up 50-100 old games you can play for free right now? Lame.

this whole "nintendo virtual console" thing would be less of a gigantic fucking joke (though it's still sad how much nintendo is obviously gonna bank on it) if we knew we'd get improvements to the original games instead of just lazy direct ports, but considering nintendo is the same company who made the e-reader port machine and the lazy mario advance ports... blah

i dunno, this is the first time I'm thinking of going Nintendo, console-wise. XBox and PS3 look like media-center PCs, and I already have a good PC and would rather get something else for a media center (though its my dad who wants the media center more, not me :P). Nintendo looks like it will be fun, and I really wanna play some old SNES games. I never owned an SNES but my friends did and I miss Donkey Kong and Star Wars and stuff :/ Good times. And yes I know I could probably just get ROMs and emulators but it isnt the same and I feel bad dl-ing games cause I know a lot of work went into them :/ say what you will :P

Infinite Ammunition said:
this whole "nintendo virtual console" thing would be less of a gigantic fucking joke ... if we knew we'd get improvements to the original games instead of just lazy direct ports

I have one of the old NES consoles (two of them actually, but whatever) and, as is inevitable with time (and especially condering how much I played it) it no longer works. The card reader is dead, and the games simply won't start. Maybe I'm just a huge nerd (well, maybe not maybe) but until a few months ago I was still using the system and playing through my old games. I'm kinda annoyed that I can't do that anymore, ya know?, but what can you do. Anyway, I would be perfectly happy to be able to play those games again on a console without any improvements, even if they are just "lazy direct ports". Clearly it's not as important to you, but I know a number of people who would love the chance to have a backup of the older games they can no longer play, and to be able to play the games the missed out on at the time they came out. I don't see how providing these games in the way they were first released is a "joke"... maybe an attempt to squeeze out that extra ounce of cash from older works, but not really an unwanted attempt.

But whatever... I suppose I just care more for nostalgia than you.

caco_killer said:

Nobody has said exactly how many games the Revolution will offer. Don't jump to conclusions.

If they aren't willing to say just how many or what games they'll have, why can't I make an assumption? I'd say around 100 total games is very realistic.

Does Nintendo even own the rights to every game produced on their systems aside from their own games? Would they have the ability to redistribute all of them? Final Fantasy 2 and 3, for example, are most assured "fan-favorites" cantidates. However, since square jumped to sony's ship, are they even viable?

EllipsusD said:

I have one of the old NES consoles (two of them actually, but whatever) and, as is inevitable with time (and especially condering how much I played it) it no longer works. The card reader is dead, and the games simply won't start.

It is fairly simple to open up an NES and fix the pins on the connector. Usually, they are bent backward, and only need to be bent to their proper position; also, they should be cleaned using some sort of solvent like rubbing alcohol. If need be, a new connector can be purchased fairly cheaply.

The thing that strikes me most about this is the shocking (imo) example of how the great Sega-Nintendo war is now history. Ask somebody 11 years ago whether they could forsee Sega games being available on a Nintendo system, and he would have spit in your eye. *sigh*

Bloodshedder said:

It is fairly simple to open up an NES and fix the pins on the connector. Usually, they are bent backward, and only need to be bent to their proper position; also, they should be cleaned using some sort of solvent like rubbing alcohol. If need be, a new connector can be purchased fairly cheaply.

Old hardware is good that way. You wouldn't think of coming at an XBox motherboard with a pair of pliers.

But yeah... TG16 and Genesis support can't be a bad thing. The thought of playing a faithful version of Race Drivin', Jurassic Park or It Came From The Desert gets me all wet. Rev might be my second console depending on how Sony's service pans out.

I read about this earlier last week. All I can say is that it sounds promising. Hopefully the price for downloading games won't be too much. I don't know if I'd pay more than $10 per game depending on the generation. I mean, I might be more willing to pay more for an N64 game than a NES or Genesis one.

Neat. I really enjoyed the TurboGrafx. I hope they have Military Madness, Bloody Wolf and Splatterhouse.

I don't think many people even played TG16 games. There are a good number of classics. Plus it had .. stereo sound! ::gasp::

If they can get the Soldier Star and Bonk series, I'll be impressed.

udderdude said:

I don't think many people even played TG16 games. There are a good number of classics. Plus it had .. stereo sound! ::gasp::

Besides, it had some of the best bomberman games ever. Not to mention a lot of fighters.

udderdude said:

Heh, I remember Bonk. I also remember Ninja Spirt. Sweet, classic game. Though I wish they'd port the Ys series from TurboGrafx CD.

I wonder if it'll be able to play PCEngine CD games -- Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo anybody??

Quasar said:

I wonder if it'll be able to play PCEngine CD games -- Akumajou Dracula X: Chi no Rondo anybody??

Sex.

...That, among other titles, would indeed be sex.

I wonder if they will take the time to properly emulate some Sega CD games. I doubt it, seeing as Sega doesn't really care enough to.

I pissed me off how they halfassed the Genesis emulator in the Sega Smash Pack for Dreamcast.

Quasar said:

There's also a PCE Duo version of Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari a.k.a. River City Ransom! I don't have that or a cd system but I have two other technos games (Nekketsu Koukou Soccer a.k.a. Nintendo World Cup and Downtown Nekketsu Kousinkyoko: Soreyuke Daiundoukai) and a copy of Dracula X that plays in the duo system. I do have a nice cracked emulator to play them with at least.

I too now have a burned image of Dracula X and an emulator, thanks to Scuba, but it would be cool -- and good for the general population -- to have it become playable on a Nintendo console :)

Hell, maybe Konami could even replace the weird voice-overs and low-quality anime with some computer rendered movies :P

I haven't found a good source to find Dracula X yet, besides eBay. Though to pay for a copy on eBay defeats the purpose of finding the rom altogether imo.

Paying for even an unlicensed copy of Dracula X is pretty much expected. The real game itself can go for up to $500, and the ISO is a rare item even in this age of giant file swapping over P2P.

I just got lucky that somebody would send it to me in the mail ;)

Quasar said:
Hell, maybe Konami could even replace the weird voice-overs and low-quality anime with some computer rendered movies :P

That would be utterly lame. I'll take anime over CGI anytime.

Gokuma said:

I don't have that or a cd system but I have two other technos games (Nekketsu Koukou Soccer a.k.a. Nintendo World Cup and Downtown Nekketsu Kousinkyoko: Soreyuke Daiundoukai) and a copy of Dracula X that plays in the duo system.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... There's a version of Nintendo World Cup for the PCE Duo????

O_O

If they include that on the Revo, I might be interested in buying my first console. It's one of my favorite games and possibly the only console game ever made that I am genuinely good at. Ah, the days of Argentina 120 - Cameroon 0, or getting one of your teammate's long passes to bounce over the goalie...

david_a said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... There's a version of Nintendo World Cup for the PCE Duo????

O_O

Yyyyyeeeeeesssssss!!!!

Also, here's something cool in World Cup practically no one knows about. Play a vs game on the bumpy field. Then when it's over play tournament mode (so you'll be playing on the bumpy field then) as Argentina (or enter a password to play against them) and see what happens when you step on a rock. Their equivalent team in the Japanese versions are these Samurai.