Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Prboom fails to open on MacOS X

I saw that prboom was released on the mac in the latest 2.4.0 release so I downloaded it and gave it a try. Unfortunatley when i double click on the application, it just briefly appears in the Dock before leaving. I manually created the PrBoom folder in Library:Application Support and put my iWad in there but still nothing.

Is this meant to only work on intel based Macs? I have an iMac G5 running 10.4.5, does anyone have any tips?

UPDATE: The terminal gives me this message, hope it helps

/Users/phil/Desktop/PrBoom.app/Contents/MacOS/PrBoom; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
peter-renshaws-imac-g5:~ phil$ /Users/phil/Desktop/PrBoom.app/Contents/MacOS/PrBoom; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/phil/Desktop/PrBoom.app/Contents/MacOS/PrBoom
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

Why thanks for the quick update, this version worked very well indeed. My only complaint in the little time I had to play prboom was that there was no music. Is there anyway I can enable music or is it currently broken in the macos X release?

I'm also unsure as to why in the ReadMe it was stated that "On Mac OS X, you can't use the command line", since you can. By opening up the terminal and navigating to the prboom application, I was able to use the -record, -playdemo and -file command options with no difficulty at all. I didn't test any of the others, but i see no reason why they wouldn't work.

Just one last question, is there anyway to make prboom use the opengl render?

Finally thanks to the prboom team for deciding that making a macos X binary was worthwhile. You have given me one less reason to boot up my PC!

I'm not the creator of the MacOS X package, so I can't comment on most of this, but I know that the music is currently broken. I hope to get a Mac myself soon, so this port will probably be even more Mac friendly soon.

As for music: SDL_mixer seems to be broken. It's possible something else is at fault, though, I'm not sure. Help getting it working is welcome since I gave up on it.

Yes, I tried using QTKit, but that doesn't work because we apparently need to call into the Cocoa main loop, which of course would lock up the rest of PrBoom, so that option's out.

As for the command line: Sure, if you really want to take the trouble to open up a Terminal and fish out the executible from the bundle, it is accessible, but most Mac users don't want to have to bother, and I'm not supporting that mode of operation.

I think the only long-term effective plan for the Mac version would be either to merge command-line features into the in-game menus or options, or to hook into the main() to add a little Cocoa dialog giving the user a chance to specify options that would be on the command line.

As for OpenGL: I disabled it while working on the PrBoom 2.3 experimental branch because it wasn't working. And, when I pulled the changes back into the 2.4 code, the lack of OpenGL stayed in. I haven't tested the OpenGL rendering in 2.4, so I have no idea whether it's working on the Mac, but you can do so by compiling the sources yourself, enabling the GL_DOOM define in src/MAC/config.h first.

As for the presence of a Mac binary: It was easy to do it when I couldn't find ANY other Doom for the Mac, heh. I can only go so long without my Doom 2. Though, to tell a secret, since starting on PrBoom I've found out about DoomsDay and have been playing that instead since I gave up on getting music working in PrBoom. I'd rather have the original graphics, but it's more important to me that I have the music.

I'd rather have the original graphics, but it's more important to me that I have the music.

Startup Doomsday, open the Doomsday Control Panel and select the Graphics-Textures tab.
Now set "Mipmapping and texture filter" to "No filter, no mip" and then click the "Reset" button.
Next disable all bilinear filtering.

That will make Doomsday render pretty much everything using the "old pixelated look".

DaniJ said:

Startup Doomsday, open the Doomsday Control Panel and select the Graphics-Textures tab.
Now set "Mipmapping and texture filter" to "No filter, no mip" and then click the "Reset" button.
Next disable all bilinear filtering.

That will make Doomsday render pretty much everything using the "old pixelated look".

Heh, you knew what I meant, thanks!