Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Checkmate

Anyone want to playtest my map?

Needs a limit removing port (Zdoom suggested)

Ok guys, made some changes according to your feedback (mostly textures and grinding corners/adding bumps) and will upload to /newstuff in the next couple of days. Unless, of course, someone finds a major error. Thanks to everyone who responded!
ps The doors will be fixed before the upload!

Here's the link to the final version:
http://rapidshare.de/files/17467873/eHQ.zip.html

Hi, your unfinished map looks like an very good beginning of an innovative wad. I like the idea with the skyscrapers and the portal at the end of this map. You will have to use new textures for the walls and floors inside the skyscraper (especially where the playerstart location is), because the currently used textures look awful as hell. The light level 255 also is to bright in some areas, for example the elevator after the yellow key door. Furthermore you should try to increase the graphic detail of your level…

All in all I think that this level will be impressive, after you’ve worked hard enough on it.

I like your level too. Just keep going and don't worry about input too much. You're off to a great start with this.

Deeforce - Thanks for giving me your impressions. I am going to make changes to the hallway textures. I just haven't decided exactly how yet. When you say 'increase the graphic detail' what do you mean exactly? Specifics would be a great help. Again, thanks for taking the time to get back to me.

” ’increase the graphic detail’ what do you mean exactly?”
Well, I thought that it would be an good idea to grind down almost every corner you can see in your map. For example: between Sector 280 (player start area) and Sector 752 (infront of player start area) you can see 2 sharp corners. Grind them down! Erase them! Split the lines! You can do this like you did in Sector 228(the Sector with the chair in it (near blue key)up right). It will look much better. And so you can do it with the other sectors in the hallway, but also in Sector 40(after yellow key door) and many others (more vertices mean more details). Only sometimes it is not positive to grind down corners, but you will realise these exceptions if you compare the erased sharp corners with the sharp corners…

The areas also are a bit empty, to fix this problem you should try to place light sources just like candles. Candles are the best decorations for a level, because you can walk through them and that is why placing them has no effect on gameplay! But be careful, don’t place them too close to a door, because this can cause an bug in the game if you open the door (I had this bug a long time ago, maybe it’s fixed now, I dunno). Furthermore you can experiment with placing other light sources in your level, but notice that the player cannot walk through them, so they need to be placed in corners or other places, where they don’t let the player get stuck.
The same is to say about corpses. They delight people’s eyes (like mine :-P)!

Another important point is the light level…
Things look much better in dark, but not too dark rooms. I choose light level 150 very often, because you can see the enemies and their fireballs well, but you do not see the walls so clearly, which is good, because bright walls look awful as hell. For example: You can see the difference between the light and dark wall very well, if you change the light level of Sector 102 (the Sector with the yellow key textures) from 255 to 150… It looks much better! I also would change the light level from other sectors like Sector 40 (after yellow key door) from 192 to 150. You only need a high light level for the light effects.

Deeforce - Thanks for the detailed respnse. I agree that corners etc, look much better rounded in most cases. As you noted I did do it to some. I guess I just wanted to get it out there. Will 'grind' what I can...

"Will [*******] 'grind' what I can..."
Very good, show me the fixed map, if you are ready with fu***** grinding and light level changing...

The hallway looks better than before, well done! You also ground down many corners... I think this wad is ready. I wish you good luck for your next Doom projects!

Deeforce said:

I think this wad is ready.

No no no... don't rush maps trough the door. Still there are several places that could be improved a bit, and some that desperatley need improvement. I'll give you a few ideas:

1. The fallen table in the wood room has definitely too long legs.
2. The fallen chairs (spell?) are definitely too short at where you'd sit.
3. Silver ceiling in that room is a no-no.
4... as well as the trim around the window. No trim - that is. The wood is cut in half and doesn't look good.
5. Some LITE5 textures in the beginning hallway reach too high for about 2-4 pixels...

Just an advice - fix that.

ellmo said:

1. The fallen table in the wood room has definitely too long legs.
2. The fallen chairs (spell?) are definitely too short at where you'd sit.
3. Silver ceiling in that room is a no-no.
4... as well as the trim around the window. No trim - that is. The wood is cut in half and doesn't look good.
5. Some LITE5 textures in the beginning hallway reach too high for about 2-4 pixels...

All fixed in the latest version... Thanks for the tips! Just a few more minor things to fix until I upload it.

And Deeforce - Thanks, your input helped the map a lot.

Okay, few more things after having another quick look at your map:

1. You haven't uploaded the latest version yet :P
2. The LavaHole on the rooftop parking lot needs better textures. You have used DBRAINx - they are small and don't tile well. If you're using ZDoom - place LAVA1 on both wall textures and flats - since ZDoom can handle this.
3. Your doors could use a different Ceiling Flat Texture.
4. ...come to think of it - most of your places could use a different ceiling.
5. Avoid putting door in parallel with surrounding walls. Push the door just 8 units or so deeper inside the wall.

Everything I can think of at the moment.

Congratulations for your first wad! My first level was worser than this one, lol. I hope to see some more wads from you in the future, see ya!