Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Louigi Verona

Circle - a very small level

Short and sweet, maybe too short,

Gameplay - 5 / 10
Detail - 4 / 10
monster placement - 4 / 10

(Sorry these may seem harsh, But compared to nowadays standards, Not very good)

- sausage -

I didn't think it was that bad but it could use some detail
and it's a bit to small but it is small enough for the 1024 contest put in some detail and send it in

I quite liked this level. I don't think you can go too far wrong if you keep 'em short and sweet. I played it a couple of times and here's my opinions:

1. I'm not a big advocate for detail but this map could have done with a bit just to neaten it up. Mainly around the corridor area.

2. I don't know if it's impossible to complete the level without finding the secret room but it's certainly hard. In my opinion secrets should be a bonus not a necessity in completing a level. It's not too big a deal in your map though because it's not too hard to find.

3. Unless you've got a good reason for keeping the level small (1024 contest?) I'd widen the corridors. Most doomer prefer the option to strafe should the need arise!

4. Why is the final blue door hidden until the blue key is found? Not a big problem in such a small level but it's good practice to have the player know where to go back to once a key is found.

5. The lift to get out of the central area isn't obvious, especially since there is a stairway that leads apparently nowhere. Maybe instead of the midbar texture at the top of the stairs you could have used thin blue-key activated bars like the red ones in MAP02. This would also point the player into the intended direction in order to finish the game.

Hope you don't mind me saying this. Like I said, I enjoyed your level but I know that I would always like some constructive critism when I upload a level so 'treat as you like to be treated' and all that!

[QUOTE]purist said:
It's not too big a deal in your map though because it's not too hard to find.

4. Why is the final blue door hidden until the blue key is found? Not a big problem in such a small level but it's good practice to have the player know where to go back to once a key is found.

5. The lift to get out of the central area isn't obvious, especially since there is a stairway that leads apparently nowhere. Maybe instead of the midbar texture at the top of the stairs you could have used thin blue-key activated bars like the red ones in MAP02. This would also point the player into the intended direction in order to finish the game.
QUOTE]

Hey! Now this is the feedback I've been looking for! Very nice!
The secret is easy to find. But if you do it right, there's no need for it.

The exit should be seen - you are right, I'll do that!

The stairway will lead to blue bars - agreed!

Thanks! I'll redo the level. Btw, I tried designing corridors, but it just didn't look that well... I'll come up with smth.