Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

TNT Evilution map names

Maps 4 and 7 are called "wormhole" and "prison", however I don't spot any kind of wormhole in map 4, or find myself in a prison setting in map 7. Most wads have follow their theme if they name a level - or did TNT just give the maps abritrary names?

I didn't see the nuclear reactor in E1M2 either. Many maps have a vague theme. Wormhole refers to dimentional travel or something like that, where you go to an equivalent area with different details (maybe the same place at another time.) It's a good thing you aren't in prison when you go to Map07... prison is a nasty place (do they let you play DOOM there?)

myk said:

It's a good thing you aren't in prison when you go to Map07... prison is a nasty place (do they let you play DOOM there?)

LOL! On the serious side, there are a few maps that start from a cell, and what about wolfenstein? On the less serious side, some Australians are actually able to buy a computer and use it within prison - a supplier of mine ripped off a man who was in there for cutting his wife to pieces and flushing them down the toilet, and my supplier was so scared of retribuition (not to mention trading in pirated playstation 1 games, at the time, hot property) that he, unfortunately, topped himself via carbon monoxide poisoning. For the hyper-pro anti-pirates out there, I guess its a plus that theres one less pirate in the world...

invictius said:
On the serious side, there are a few maps that start from a cell, and what about wolfenstein?

Yeah, some designers have tried harder to mimic a prison more accurately, though TNT's Map07 does have a metal and stone theme that could feel like a prison, plus you teleport into an area with barred cells at one point. In Map07 you simply seem to be making your way through the prison, with a standard entry door at the start, but don't seem to be a prisoner yourself.

On the far side of map04 you will find an underground teleporter that will lead you to a nearly identical copy of the level. That must be the wormhole.
And in map07 you have a structure in the middle of the area. In this structures there are a lot of cages with a lot of monsters in it (it's hard to avoid fireballs from EVERY direction). Who said DOOM wasn't realistic?

Now the Plutonia maps -- now those have arbitrary and ridiculous titles!

Still, I think it would be interesting to see what could be done with the Doom engine if someone actually tried to remake both games to make their levels actually resemble the places they're supposed to be.

IMO one reason the Doom games worked so well, and why they have enjoyed such longevity, was that there was very little effort to make the maps actually look like real places (or what the plot, such as it was, described them as being). The focus was just on making them fun to play.

Slink said:
Still, I think it would be interesting to see what could be done with the Doom engine if someone actually tried to remake both games to make their levels actually resemble the places they're supposed to be.

I could care less about that kind of realism in DOOM. Chris Lutz's P:AR could be considered an example of that kind of thing, though, and maybe also KDiZD. But maybe with the DOOM 3 engine something like that would make more sense.

Grazza said:

IMO one reason the Doom games worked so well, and why they have enjoyed such longevity, was that there was very little effort to make the maps actually look like real places (or what the plot, such as it was, described them as being). The focus was just on making them fun to play.

I agree with you up to a point. However, for me, one of the problems with Doom2 versus Doom1 is just what you describe. The locations in Doom1 may have been unrealistic, but they had a feeling of place. Episode 1 may have illogical computers on the ceiling and piles of green goo everywhere but somehow it hangs together as a moonbase. Episode 2 is certainly a corrupted base and 3 is hell... However, many of Doom2's levels were just abstract places to have fun in and whilst that is reason enough to play them, I find them less endearing and less replayable as a result (at least that's part of the reason).

Enjay said:

However, many of Doom2's levels were just abstract places to have fun in and whilst that is reason enough to play them, I find them less endearing and less replayable as a result (at least that's part of the reason).

I completely agree. I'll always come back to Doom singleplayer, but never Doom II for exactly this reason.

Enjay said:
The locations in Doom1 may have been unrealistic, but they had a feeling of place. Episode 1 may have illogical computers on the ceiling and piles of green goo everywhere but somehow it hangs together as a moonbase. Episode 2 is certainly a corrupted base and 3 is hell... However, many of Doom2's levels were just abstract places to have fun in and whilst that is reason enough to play them, I find them less endearing and less replayable as a result (at least that's part of the reason).

It may also be related to the designers. Tom Hall was more precise and perhaps realistic, while Sandy Petersen went by with less concern. Romero had a knack for combining names and themes with solid play, and I would say his DOOM II maps are pretty "consistent." Also DOOM's design direction had pretty much been marked by Tom Hall to a point, while Sandy Petersen probably had much more weight during DOOM II (aside from making more maps.)

Terra-jin said:

On the far side of map04 you will find an underground teleporter that will lead you to a nearly identical copy of the level. That must be the wormhole.

I think you kill a bunch of imps in the underground area and in the copy of it there's a bunch of imp corpses to make it look like where you just were.

BlackFish said:

e1m1 is named hanger and there's no real hanger now eh?

True, but the caption for that picture says "the crater", assuming it's visible in the pic.

BlackFish said:

invictius is a member but he doesnt do much useful now does he...

BlackFish said:

there's hangers in the closets in the level

it's really spelled "Hangar", i don't know what causes everyone else to spell it wrong, then again the doom95 launcher spelled it wrong like this too

Ooh this is a good level. It's called crater. There aren't really any craters, but you're supposed to imagine that this is a base in the middle of a crater, or perhaps under a crater. There is a neat outdoor part that seems like it could be in a crater.

HobbsTiger1 said:

invictius is a member but he doesnt do much useful now does he...

I dunno about that, I started a "ethics of doom" thread thats into its third page now, and a few other threads that I expected to go nowhere fast... seriously though, why call a map "crater" if theres no crater? Why not something like "dis" or "heck" as has been done before?

Actually you've started quite a few topics lately, with only one or two being remotely useful. Hit and miss sort of thing I suppose, gotta keep trying eh?

And reuse of map naming sucks it hard. It shows both lack of creativity and lack of authors giving a shit. Plus, the confusion of having ~1,256,350 levels named 'dis' or (lol) 'heck' would be outstanding, dont you think?

BlackFish said:

Sorta looks like the landing pad sank into the ground and became a slime pool.

invictius said:

True, but the caption for that picture says "the crater", assuming it's visible in the pic.

In the screenshot you're standing in it you silly boy.

Merged with your earlier thread on much the same topic.

But really, the map names don't in general bear much direct relation to the design of the maps themselves (maybe just a hint, or a reference to one area, but often not even that). You don't need to start a new thread each time you notice this.

gargoylol said:
it's really spelled "Hangar", i don't know what causes everyone else to spell it wrong, then again the doom95 launcher spelled it wrong like this too

Indeed, and they actually called Map05 of TNT "Hanger" as it's a homonym of "Hangar", though they could have made a nicer wordplay using some of those hanging corpse decorations.

invictius said:
I dunno about that, I started a "ethics of doom" thread thats into its third page now, and a few other threads that I expected to go nowhere fast... seriously though, why call a map "crater" if theres no crater? Why not something like "dis" or "heck" as has been done before?

It's evidently a pun between "a place of crates" and "a crater", plus it's bullshit that there's no crater area; like it or not, it's the open area behind the entry room (i.e., the area you're at on the shot you linked, as kristus pointed out.) It's probably the best map name in TNT.

Grazza said:

Merged with your earlier thread on much the same topic.

But really, the map names don't in general bear much direct relation to the design of the maps themselves (maybe just a hint, or a reference to one area, but often not even that). You don't need to start a new thread each time you notice this.

I thought that thread was pretty much dead - on other forums, threads dissappear after a certain time...

Myk: Ah, the limitations of design at the time - well, at least it makes you use your imagination!