Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

What is your favorite Joke Wad?

The Title says it all.
What is your favorite joke wad that you've ever played?
I'd have to say mine is Mockery2, mainly because of the secret level CybMock.
"OMFG U FOUND TEH SECRET AREA@!! UR SPECIAL!!! my mom saz im specul"

Craigs said:

"OMFG U FOUND TEH SECRET AREA@!! UR SPECIAL!!! my mom saz im specul"

Quotes like that remind me exactly why I don't think there's anything remotely amusing about "joke" wads.

The only one I ever found funny was 'How not to be seen'. Most joke WADs only feature intentionally bad mapping and that has no appeal to me.

Graf Zahl said:

The only one I ever found funny was 'How not to be seen'. Most joke WADs only feature intentionally bad mapping and that has no appeal to me.

Seconded. I don't see what's so funny about them. All I really see them as are a mish-mash of random and garish coloured textures, deliberatly crap map design, tons of monsters, crap music and retarded 1337 speak scripted popups. How on earth can you expect to pass this off as a joke? It's just lazily designed crap.

I liked WOW. It inspired me to make sequels. I also liked Deep Space Explorer...

How many of you have done a Joke WAD?

[slightlyofftopic]

Graf Zahl said:

'How not to be seen'

Make sure no one's watching and then take your clothes off and run around naked :)
[/slightlyofftopic]

Probably 1337 because of how it appeared spontaneously causing some disbelief. Most other joke wads have been an "oh another joke wad" matter.

Ninja_of_DooM said:

Seconded. I don't see what's so funny about them. All I really see them as are a mish-mash of random and garish coloured textures, deliberatly crap map design, tons of monsters, crap music and retarded 1337 speak scripted popups. How on earth can you expect to pass this off as a joke? It's just lazily designed crap.

I'm working on a project that will change all that...

Ninja_of_DooM said:

What about Big Crappy Shit Megawad?
Despite the fact that the graphics sucked, it still featured extremely good gameplay.

Mock 2, Do-Tims, and Lost Soulsphere. There's this joke wad on the ST forums that is good as well, with some surprisingly good gameplay.

Also, How Not To Be Seen is not funny because it fucks up the classic lines and the comedic timing is pitiful. It just doesn't work in Doom.

TomD666 said:

Also, How Not To Be Seen is not funny because it fucks up the classic lines and the comedic timing is pitiful. It just doesn't work in Doom.

This is a joke, and it works only with ZDoom. It’s a remake of the short movie “How Not To Be Seen” made by the Monty Python.

ducon said:

This is a joke, and it works only with ZDoom. It’s a remake of the short movie “How Not To Be Seen” made by the Monty Python.

He *knows* that. He just said that it recreated it poorly.

Massmouth 2. It does have a few dull moments and duds in it (the "all your base" part in the beginning) but it's better than most of the crap out there.

WildWeasel said:

Massmouth 2. It does have a few dull moments and duds in it (the "all your base" part in the beginning) but it's better than most of the crap out there.

Massmouth 2 isn't a joke wad... <_<

Maybe awad. There's just something about that stupid set-up in map09 that cracks me up.

Really, there seem to be two things that come under the heading of "joke wad":

• Deliberately bad mapping. Thissuxx (as mentioned above by Kristian) defined the genre, and it isn't entirely clear why people felt any "sequels" were necessary.
  • Reasonably-made maps that feature genuine attempts at humour. This is a rarer breed, and perhaps dwforums3 is the best representative.
I quite enjoyed mock2, but that was more because many of the maps were actually fun to play in their own right.

It really pisses me off that dwforums3 would fuck up because the ZDoom effect didn't work right and then broke entirely in a later ZDoom version. I worked hard on that damnit ;_;

I should also give a shout out to the "One Nerd and his Doom" series. I want more of those.

The dwforums series wins it for me. Also I enjoyed some of the later maps in mock2, where zdoom effects were used extensively to create some really bizarre things. Too bad the earlier maps were the same dull things we've seen in previous joke wads. How many times can I laugh at a really tall lift?

Also, Hyena had a series of maps, most of which were short. I remember one required you to pick up shotgun ammo, travel down a loooong path, take a few shots at a cyberdemon and then travel all the way back to relaod. That one made me chuckle a little. Cant remember the name of the series though.

Oh and congestion64 had some clever maps. Though I dontknow if you'd call that a jokewad or an extreme excercise in limitation.

gargoylol said:

Anonymous UNVEILED

I thought it was common knowledge by now that Cyb made the first 2 dwforums and I made the third (well Cyb helped with the intro movie and stuff)