Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KennyJC

Will there ever be a game EVERYONE plays again?

I think what added to Doom and Quake was that EVERYONE played them. This community hasn't really been seen in any game since. It was so huge. They were also two of the best multiplayer games there has ever been.

Ever since though, there have been so many clones that what used to be a single community is split into many communities. Games these days don't appear to have the same deathmatch addiction.

Half-life 2 for example had a great single player campaign, but one of the worst deathmatch games ever.

Call of Duty 2 had a good multiplayer game, but somehow it was just really boring after a while... It lacked that extra special thing...

So can there be a game like Doom or Quake again? Do more complex games lack something as far as gameplay goes? Is the community too divided to be brough back together by one groundbreaking game?

Counterstrike, World of Warcraft and the Sims.

Everyone plays or has played one of these. I'm sure some doomworlder will proudly declare 'I don't!' but lets face it: the man who says that now may as well be the man who played astriods when doom was at it's prime. ie: a factor not even worth considring.

Yes but those games have their own community. Not lke the days when Quake was full strength... There was no other big community around.

Street fighter.
Mortal kombat.

Hell, in my Schools (I went to four different primary schools and two diffrent highschools) they all played mortal Kombat more then they played doom.

KennyJC said:
Yes but those games have their own community. Not lke the days when Quake was full strength... There was no other big community around.

Command & Conquer.

OK OK, i'll stop being a jerk.

FPS won't see that kind of thing agian, but Counter-Strike is pretty damn close.

Captain Red said:

Everyone plays or has played one of these. I'm sure some doomworlder will proudly declare 'I don't!' but lets face it: the man who says that now may as well be the man who played astriods when doom was at it's prime. ie: a factor not even worth considring.

Actually, the only one I've played was the Sims and I got bored of that very quickly. I haven't played CS because I couldn't be arsed waiting on updates when I had it (this is when I was on dial-up) and, as said on that funeral thread, I don't play MMORPGs, which leaves WoW out of the question.

I think it's safe to say the majority of people have played Half-Life.

You say it had terrible DM, but that's your personal preference, and HL had a huge DM crowd. I liked it, and so did shitloads of other people.

Besides, when you say 'everyone' you can never mean 'everyone', because there's always a few people who havent played the classics. Especially all these young'uns. :P

I knew a guy who played CS every day but had never played Half-Life.

Edit: I know plenty of gamers who havent played CS WOW or the Sims. Me included. :P

I left Diablo 2 before the new patch. It started to get boring after a while and I got tired of seeing garbage like "j00 gib annibobgoni plzzz???!!1!" all the time.

Ichor said:

I left Diablo 2 before the new patch. It started to get boring after a while and I got tired of seeing garbage like "j00 gib annibobgoni plzzz???!!1!" all the time.

I ignore people mostly. I usually play people I know.

If you come back, you could play with me and Infurnus. Seriously, it'd be cool.

It's been quite a while and I don't think I'll start playing again anyway.

Though in principle I agree with caco_killer, players departing can indeed kill a game. Jedi Academy is a great example; awesome mp game, but nobody plays anymore...

Captain Red: I personally have never ventured into any of those three, and I have never had a desire to.

Jehar said:

Though in principle I agree with caco_killer, players departing can indeed kill a game. Jedi Academy is a great example; awesome mp game, but nobody plays anymore...

I forgot about multiplayer. When it comes to those games, lack of players really does kill it.

Ichor said:

It's been quite a while and I don't think I'll start playing again anyway.

Aww, well that bites. I was hoping to play d2 with more people i actually knew..

Jehar said:
Captain Red: I personally have never ventured into any of those three, and I have never had a desire to.

Like I already said:
I'm sure some doomworlder will proudly declare 'I don't!' but lets face it: the man who says that now may as well be the man who played astriods when doom was at it's prime. ie: a factor not even worth considring.

Blizzard Entertainment are really the masters of making games that everyone becomes immediately addicted to. I think WoW is very close to the amount of play that Diablo 2 and Starcraft saw and their popularity, the only thing keeping it below that level is it being an MMORPG and the time it takes to progress once you hit the level cap.

Captain Red said:

I haven't played any of those, unless you're talking about any Sim game in general, in which case I played the SNES Sim City all too often. Interplay also put out a PC version, which was a chore getting to work with it's 620K conventional memory requirement, but I never got very far with that one.

Lüt said:
I haven't played any of those,

Me neither.

WoW, haven't played it. Sims, I played the Sims for no more than 5 minutes. It sucked ass, how many expansion packs for that piece of shit can you possibly make?