Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

Converting mp3s to midis... (?)

Is there any utility which cleverly parses & converts MP3 metal tracks to MIDis? Or any clever method at least?

The best "tool" for that is a musician.

Most mp3 to midi conversions are done with expensive software or pain-stakingly by hand. I've seen quite a few "free" or "trial" pieces of mp3 to midi converters, but they never let you save the midi, and it only works on certain mp3's. :(

All the pieces of software I've messed with that claim to be able to do this choke. Some apparently work pretty well on monophonic sound, but none I've tried work with actual songs (polyphonic).

Sorry, not gonna work. Do it by ear

If you do, do the entire bassline first. It will greatly reduce much work as you will have every chord

That wouldn't be too hard with a GL port, would it? I know it couldn't recreate the whole level but it could put together a whole bunch of screen shots that cover every square inch of the level it's possible... I think.

MP3s are audio data, whereas MIDI is computer code telling your soundcard's synth what notes to play where, and also how loud, for how long etc. There's no way in hell you can convert a whole MP3 song to MIDI, unfortuneately. Well, not without a musician, which has already been suggested:-) People earn good money doing this, incidentally.

I have this program called audioright converter that allows you to make mp3s into WAV files (or vice versa) as for midis though... you'd probably need to do it by hand or something....

if its songs from certain groups your looking for to have mp3s of, get guitar pro and go to mysongbook.com and get a load of songs, it will have tabs of different songs, which can be saved in midi format, just export them as midi files

GMan said:

MP3s are audio data, whereas MIDI is computer code telling your soundcard's synth what notes to play where, and also how loud, for how long etc. There's no way in hell you can convert a whole MP3 song to MIDI, unfortuneately. Well, not without a musician, which has already been suggested:-) People earn good money doing this, incidentally.

EDIT: good thanks to maggot_army, you gave me the solution!

Yes, in the future computer doctors WILL make it possible to convert even very spectaculars MP3s into MIDIs -- only in case somebody'll care for MIDIs...

So about writing them midis (for DOOM, of course), how do you suggest? Play each 2-second mp3 patch and manually copy it to the midi editor as a 4/4-long measure?

EarthQuake said:

I've seen quite a few "free" or "trial" pieces of mp3 to midi converters, but they never let you save the midi

That's nothing MidiYoke w/ loopback driver can't solve

JoelMurdoch said:

KC what the hell are you smoking?

Nothing, just saying that with enough computing power (probably more than the whole DooM community combined) such a program might be possible, assuming that the screen was taken with notarget on so the monsters haven't moved from their original locations.

I put WAY too much thought into crap like this...

It's possible, but it would be much more probable and efficient to just randomly generate SLIGE wads until you get an exact copy of the source.

Yes. I do. Today in Digital class I calculated the odds of coming up with the data you want randomly at powerup on a 4x1K static RAM. I came up with 1 in 1.04x10^1233. Or 2^4096 to be precise...

So you discovered that the number of combinations in 4096 bits is 2^4096.

Watch out, that kind of sharpness can put someone's eye out.

GMan said:

Yeah, I was about to say something to that effect; you really hit the nail on the coffin. Considering an mp3 is just one layer of audio, there's no way a program could somehow "seperate" the instruments and convert them into synthesizer form.

kc32 said:

Nothing, just saying that with enough computing power (probably more than the whole DooM community combined) such a program might be possible, assuming that the screen was taken with notarget on so the monsters haven't moved from their original locations.

I can't believe I'm bothering, but...

No it wouldn't. Rendering a 3D like object from a series of 2D images (which would have to number in their thousands probably for even a small level) is impossible. Perspective gets distorted as you move around, making accurately predicting the true path of a sector line impossible.

What about lighting levels? Texture choices? Line and sector specials?

what a cool subthread you made here! lol.
A program can be able to convert scanned drawings into levels, hell why not?
Or feeding the soft a level text data file... It's dreamy.
As for screenshots, why bother, because screenshot levels already exist, right ? :D

dude, if you play guiar or has a friend who plays guitar well then use something like Guitar Pro or Tabit I use them and they play back the music as midi, but im not sure how you save them as midi.

Anyway if you are LOOKING FOR A SONG in midi in guitar pro go to

mysongbook.com

Also if you know how to use the program you can change the music.

From there I don't know how you get the tabs in Guitar Pro to save as a midi file but I will ask about with my other friends in other bands who use Guitar pro and then put it in Doom.

ALSO : I think you should use a Jason Becker song for your wad :-)

BlackAsDaNight said:

From there I don't know how you get the tabs in Guitar Pro to save as a midi file but I will ask about with my other friends in other bands who use Guitar pro and then put it in Doom.

to save your songs as midi files, just go 2 file->export->midi
its really easy

GoatLord said:

. . . Considering an mp3 is just one layer of audio, there's no way a program could somehow "seperate" the instruments and convert them into synthesizer form.

Why is this such an obstacle to get across? You can plainly hear each instrument, why can't software be made to pick out the instruments, too?
Come to think of it, this reminds me of the vision process for computers. It's a really slow process for computers to see things, but it can be done. Just look at the Honda robot. If it can copy your dance moves then software can be made to play by ear.

Sound is almost unfathomably complex. It's a miracle that humans can comprehend what's going on in a song.

For once Andrew is right. A simple techno or rap piece, or a 12 bar blues progression with no lead? Yeah maybe you could interpret that with software. Anything more complicated that that, forget it. Distinguishing all the tones of the various instruments, if it were possible to do it theoretically, it would take an absurd amount of computing power to do so I would think.

Computers will never be able to completely replicate the subtleties of human thinking. A human could listen to, say, one of Queen's earlier songs with all the layered guitars and pianos and go "Yeah that's piano and guitar, that's three guitars layered together" etc etc. But all computers "hear" is tones, mathematical data.

Piezo said:

Why is this such an obstacle to get across? You can plainly hear each instrument, why can't software be made to pick out the instruments, too?

Because there's some seriously complex physics going on when you listen back to a digital waveform.

Think about this. When you create a piece of music using audio, you have many tracks playing together, each with their own waveforms (for instance, drums - each one has it's own track, guitars, trumpets etc). Once you've mixed your music, it must be bounced down to a stereo file so that it can be burnt to CD/changed to an MP3 etc. Now, you've reduced many waveforms to just two (left and right) but you can still hear all the instruments.
I don't know all the technical details of this process (in fact, it makes my head hurt), but you can't reconstruct a multi-track recording from just two waveforms. You certainly can't then convert it into MIDI data, with each instrument having it's own track.

waveform to midi is and always will be totally impossible. its like asking a computer to read a complex novel and write a summary of the story.

as for screenshot to wad, you can forget this, there is no way of the computer judging distance. when you play doom you brain is building the doom "world" in your head, the picture you see on the screen is 2D even if rendered in 3-D mode. ie you cannot reach into the screen because your monitor is flat therefore the screenshot is indeed two dimesional.

Ralphis said:

Sorry, not gonna work. Do it by ear

If you do, do the entire bassline first. It will greatly reduce much work as you will have every chord

Knowing the bassline does not tell you what chords are in the song, generally basslines are a collection of notes, although basslines can give you a good clue as to the chord structure.

sorry if this makes little sense as I am drunk off boddingtons bitter.

cheers
chris

Heh Chris. You may be drunk but you are correct. Basslines do not directly give you the chords but could be used as a guide.