Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vegeta

What are the must see DOOM 3 mods?

Well after a long time finally I'm able to play this game, so far I just looked a bit. What mods do you recomend me?
BTW, how do you acces the console? I tried with the same key as any other game and nothing, I don't find neither any place to configure what key to use.

So far, the only mod released that I really can recommend are "OpenCoop".

http://www.d3opencoop.com

Other unreleased mods that look very promising include:

Doom3: Phobos. :p
http://www.doomworld.com/phobos

The dark mod
http://www.thedarkmod.com/

Sapphire scar (shitty screenshots so far, but everything else looks very promising.)
http://www.marsmodule.com/

Hexen: Edge of chaos
http://edgeofchaos.planetdoom.gamespy.com/

Recall to hell
http://recalltohell.d3files.com/

The Event Horizon mod's worth a look, its in doom3files as well; Classic Doom 3 is probably a must-see as well (SP, cause MP tends to be buggy as LMS coop)

Yes, Classic Doom for Doom 3 is very good, but a bit buggy (I’ve got lag).
Try also Quake 2 Lost marine, but you must download it at Fileplanet. Grr!

Thanks, so much to play, and so little time on my hands these days. I'm surprised by how much better than screenshots it looks. The Imps jumping when you open a door are getting annoying, yet it's very graping so far.
I'm seeing some rooms that feel now are familiar for me thanks to DOOM 2.5
The monsters so far (not faced yet the Vagary) are harder than what I expected, I though that the creatures from DOOM 2.5 were harder but I was wrong (playing in Veteran, I don't know if they turn easier on lower skills).
The introduction levels and the many e-mails you have to read are a bit tedious yet inmersive.

I'm amazed at how little there is out there considering how long this game has been out. I just finally got a computer that will run this game decently and it seems that the only mods are the same ones that were out a year ago. Out of curiosity does any one know how well this game sold? I would have figured that it sold pretty well, but there seems to be no community around this game.

The game sold well, but you're right, the community isn't nearly as big as the communities of other large titles. The doom 3 engine supposedly is real complex to work with, and on top of the diffuculty to work with, only provides pretty much one type of environment: darkness . But there is a game nearing release that used the Doom 3 engine, PREY.

The game isn't THAT complex to work with. The problem is it can quite easily take 6 hours to make a single, well detailed room. Quite fun though.

Classic doom 3 is a "must play" maybe one time. Its novelty wears off quickly and there's nothing really new or interesting in it.

There are actually a lot of people doing stuff with the doom3 engine in terms of modding, you just have to be in the right places. As joe mentioned, it takes more time to do resources worthy of the engine. If you think it's only the doom3 engine that'll have these sorts of issues then you're sadly mistaken. As the engines get more complex, they remain open for modding but it's just so much of a chore that only those really REALLY dedicated will be able to do anything new and exciting. Even HalfLife 2, which is the tail end of previous generation engines, takes quite a while to make a serious mod.

There are plenty of single player maps that people have spit out however; I recommend checking out Filefront's [url=http://doom3.filefront.com]doom3 section[url] and search around.

I would expect by 2007 you'll be seeing some of these larger doom3 mods coming out, and that's not such a bad thing considering now the average player's hardware has increased, letting modmakers really take advantage of this better hardware and provide game resources that are of a potentially higher calibre than the originals.

Mancubus II and baronofhell said:

I recommend that too :-P. My favorite mod is now “BloodyMess” version 1 (90kb), because the blood of the enemies stays all the time and won’t ever disappear, juhu! To the installation (in case you have problems)…: Just create a new folder in your “Doom3” directory named “NormalBlood” and copy the “pk4” file in it. Then create a “bat” file in your “Doom3” directory and type in this: Doom3.exe +set fs_game NormalBlood

Does someone know, whether there is such a mod for Quake4 ?

That Hexen one looks bad ass, i have been following it since they started, i cant wait till its finished.

You know what you should get ?
the ducktape mod.
It adds a flashlight to the shotgun and the machinegun. It really improves the gameplay cause you don't have to switch all the time. The weaponlights are more narrow so you still use the normal flashlight alot. Other flashlightmods i don't like too much cause they unbalance the game too much I think.

And a sound mod 9 ( I forgot the name)
cuase some of the normal sounds in doom 3 suck, like that pistol.

Also the dentonmod is pretty cool. It only adds more realistic blood and lighting and stuff like that. ( and a double barrel I think). Haven't tried the mod cause, but it looks pretty sweet.
Tchau

Dyne said:

You know what you should get ?
the ducktape mod.
It adds a flashlight to the shotgun and the machinegun. It really improves the gameplay cause you don't have to switch all the time.

It doesn´t improve the gameplay, it waters it down. Having to switch to the flashlight from time to time added a bit of Survival Horror suspense to Doom3 (being more vulnerable) and it worked great.

The mods I am mostly looking forward to are practically the same Kristus mentioned, especially Phobs and Recall to Hell.

Here is a nother Doom3 SP mod/episode that looks quite good (haven´t played it yet), called "In Hell":

http://wwwstud.fh-zwickau.de/~stki/DOOM_html/englisch/index.html

Tetzlaff said:

It doesn´t improve the gameplay, it waters it down. Having to switch to the flashlight from time to time added a bit of Survival Horror suspense to Doom3 (being more vulnerable) and it worked great.
[/url]

Thats your opinion, and your definitely in the minority. Doom 3 is a FPS, an action game; switching weapons off simply to see ruins what little tactical fighting was allowed by the cramped hallways in the first place. Frustration is not the same thing as tension - unfortunately the entire so-called "survival-horror" genre as a whole doesn't seem to understand this.

Doom 3 was unrealistically and unfairly dark, the duct tape mod removes a very serious design flaw.

baronofhell said:

Oh, and about your console question, press ctrl and the key above tab.

Its a ctrl+alt+button above tab.

Wobbo said:

Thats your opinion, and your definitely in the minority. Doom 3 is a FPS, an action game ... Frustration is not the same thing as tension - unfortunately the entire so-called "survival-horror" genre as a whole doesn't seem to understand this.

I saw many players bitch about the flashlight thing, but surely not the majority. It´s the same with cheat codes, their existance and distribution alone don´t prove that a game is too difficult.

Doom3 was actually never too dark to fight. You could always use the flashlight to get a better view, but you where never forced to use it instead of fighting. So this can hardly be called a design flaw.

Cheat codes remove instersting and fun elements of suspense and tactics from a game by removing the risks/penalties the game might have. The duct tape mod does the opposite, it expands tactical possibilities and makes the game a little bit more fun by making new gameplay descisions more practical than before.

The argument has nothing to do with whether its POSSIBLE to fight in pitch black or near pitch-black darkness, but how complex and fun the fights can be if you cant switch weapons, run away, use cover etc. (all things that are impossible if its too dark to tell a gray wall from an imp).

Actually there were a couple of fights in the game that literally took place in pitch black darkness, and many more that did have light but had you fighting enemies that were low to the ground or coming out of areas where they were literally invisible. Not being allowed to plan or think tactically is not a feature that "works well" in the FPS genre, imo.

Tetzlaff said:

The mods I am mostly looking forward to are practically the same Kristus mentioned, especially Phobs and Recall to Hell.

Here is a nother Doom3 SP mod/episode that looks quite good (haven´t played it yet), called "In Hell":

http://wwwstud.fh-zwickau.de/~stki/DOOM_html/englisch/index.html

Is there a place with a walkthrough or hints or anything for this one? I am so stuck in unholy chambers. I have been searching around in the underground part for over an hour and I cannot figure out what to do.

JonTTu111 said:

Its a ctrl+alt+button above tab.

Add

+set com_allowconsole 1
to the command line in your shortcut and you can then use the "button" on its own.

Hi!
It was 1 year ago since this thread has been created, so I wonder whether there are some new good doom3-mods ready… I found a very good singleplayer level called “Shambler's Castle Quake Mod” (created: 3/16/2007), it kicks ass!