Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

dehacked and intermission text

I remember dehacked as a program with a blue background, not a white-on-black version. Is there a windows version? Also, I want to view the modifications a deh makes, as well as the intermission text (which is sometimes included in the wad, i.e evilution). Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, how do I edit the level name, both in the automap and intermission, and what is the lump name of the intermission background?

invictius said:
I remember dehacked as a program with a blue background, not a white-on-black version.

I've never run it on Windows XP, but the background is blue on Windows 98.

Is there a windows version?

WhackeEd2.

Also, I want to view the modifications a deh makes, as well as the intermission text (which is sometimes included in the wad, i.e evilution).

View it where? You can open the DEH file with a text editor, like Notepad, if that's what you want. In caser you're just putting the stuff in the EXE and not saving it to a file, hit "s" and it'll ask you how you want to name the DEH file.

Also, how do I edit the level name, both in the automap and intermission, and what is the lump name of the intermission background?

The automap info with F7. All the text stuff in the engine is there. The intermission name is a graphic in the wad. You normally need to replace it with a graphic in your PWAD.

myk said:

The automap info with F7. All the text stuff in the engine is there. The intermission name is a graphic in the wad. You normally need to replace it with a graphic in your PWAD.

F7 brings up the ammo editor in whacked, does nothing in dehacked. I opened a deh with intermission text that seemed to be in order - is it always in order? Also, what is the name of the graphic of the pwad for the intermission background? I should have specified when saying "lump" that I was using NWT - unless you can reccommend a windows editor that would do a better job... Oh, and what about viewing intermission text that's already in an iwad?

invictius said:
F7 brings up the ammo editor in whacked, does nothing in dehacked.

Perhaps you're using some ancient version of DeHackEd? Make sure it's v3.1 You should be able to hit F1 to get the help screen that shows you each internal command in DeHackEd.

I opened a deh with intermission text that seemed to be in order - is it always in order?

Not sure what you mean. The DEH file shows first the original text and right after it (no space in between) the new one.

Also, what is the name of the graphic of the pwad for the intermission background?

The level name? WILVxx for DOOM, and CWILVxx for DOOM II.

If anything you could install XWE, since it'll let you open wads by merely double-clicking them, and should be the easiest editor to run on windows XP due to its modern interface.

Oh, and what about viewing intermission text that's already in an iwad?

If you get to the text section you'll be able to see it as you edit it.

Not sure what you mean. The DEH file shows first the original text and right after it (no space in between) the new one.[/B][/quote]Just looking at it in notepad, first comes the modified text, and say if a wad goes u p to map 10, it will have the "normal" text for map 20 and up...

If you get to the text section you'll be able to see it as you edit it.

Haven't found that section in XWE, or NWT...

invictius said:
Just looking at it in notepad, first comes the modified text, and say if a wad goes u p to map 10, it will have the "normal" text for map 20 and up...

The "intermission text" is the "story stuff" after maps 06, 11, 20 and 30 (and before the secret maps.)

Look at this file for an example of text info changed through DeHackEd.

Haven't found that section in XWE, or NWT...

That was my mistake because you said "iwad", but lets say "text" only for DeHackEd stuff (IWADs don't contain plain text, only graphics.) Look in DeHackEd.

That was my mistake because you said "iwad", but lets say "text" only for DeHackEd stuff (IWADs don't contain plain text, only graphics.) Look in DeHackEd.

Got the newer dehacked, but it looks pretty weird on an lcd, almost as if it's damaging it, anyway.... about iwad's not containing plain text, where is the story text/whatever you want to call it contained within the iwad?

No, that information's in the engine, so it's edited within DeHackEd. If you've managed to get to the F7 text area scroll down till you see the first words of the intermission text, select it and hit enter to edit it. You can also use the "go to" function to find text once you're in the F7 section.

The engine knows the different IWADs (DOOM, DOOM II, TNT, Plutonia) and has the texts for each, using the appropriate texts when you load an IWAD.

As an aside, the only way to have the intermission text in a wad is if you put the DeHackEd file in the wad, calling the lump DEHACKED; newer released-source based engines will read that lump, while older engines need a separate DEH file to load or read.

myk said:

No, that information's in the engine, so it's edited within DeHackEd. If you've managed to get to the F7 text area scroll down till you see the first words of the intermission text, select it and hit enter to edit it. You can also use the "go to" function to find text once you're in the F7 section.

The engine knows the different IWADs (DOOM, DOOM II, TNT, Plutonia) and has the texts for each, using the appropriate texts when you load an IWAD.

As an aside, the only way to have the intermission text in a wad is if you put the DeHackEd file in the wad, calling the lump DEHACKED; newer released-source based engines will read that lump, while older engines need a separate DEH file to load or read.

OK, how do I load a wad in dehacked? If we're talking about the iwad's exe, I only have doom95 for final doom, I'm certain I don't have the dos exe...

Doom95 can't be used with DeHackEd, but you can get the Doom v1.9 (DOS) engine from the DOOM shareware package. DeHackEd will not load wads. Once you create a DEH file with DeHackEd, you'll be able to place it in a wad, importing it as DEHACKED into the wad through XWE.

myk said:

Doom95 can't be used with DeHackEd, but you can get the Doom v1.9 (DOS) engine from the DOOM shareware package. DeHackEd will not load wads. Once you create a DEH file with DeHackEd, you'll be able to place it in a wad, importing it as DEHACKED into the wad through XWE.

Ok, looking at text in tnt/plutonia isn't that important, but I got numerous errors upon trying to download the astrostein deh's - lots of "line xxx" errors. Also, I take it that you can alter ingame text, and just save it to a deh?

EDIT: Argh, anything with text mods, fragport, the lot, gives me tens of errors - can I just edit the text underneath the "original" text in notepad?

I wouldn't recommend messing directly with the DEH files yet because those require certain specific lengths.

Try making sure your DeHackEd INI file is configured correctly. Make sure under "normalname" for DOOM II it points to the Doom engine you got with the shareware, and then give it a path and EXE name for "editname" which will be a copy of the engine you can mess with (it'll create it if you give it a valid path, and it needs to create it to work, though you won't need it later if you use JDoom, as it seems from the other thread.) And near the end it should say "3" for the version (of the engine.) Also, specify the location (path) of your DOOM II IWAD. Without this required info DeHackEd won't read the engine properly, giving the errors you're spotting.

myk said:

But I'm not all that interested in creating DEH files, just seeing the intermission text within tnt/plutonia.

invictius said:
just seeing the intermission text within tnt/plutonia.

Get the source and view d_english.h with notepad or something like that.

just seeing the intermission text within tnt/plutonia

Go into your Doomsday folder and check out Defs/jDoom/Finales.ded - All the finales and intermissions from all the IWADs are read from there in jDoom.

Wait... You can get a program to do Dehacked?
And all this time I've been using note pad...

Craigs said:

Wait... You can get a program to do Dehacked?
And all this time I've been using note pad...

He he. The words of a newcomer. ;)

Dehacked is a program. Originally it was used to hack the Doom exe directly. Modifications to Doom using dehacked had to be made by getting Dehacked to apply the patches to a copy of Doom.exe and then the mod requiring it would have to be run using the custom exe. The first dehacked patches weren't even in text format. Eventually, ports (Boom first?) started supporting dehacked patches directly from the command line. Boom also added new options and flexibility to the things dehacked can do and subsequent ports built on this. It also became possible to include the patch in the WAD itself as a lump called dehacked and that's pretty much where we are today.

Does Jdoom support dehacked patches? Namely, I want to use a patch to change intermission text, but I'm not even sure that inserting the patch as a lump in the pwad would allow jdoom to pick it up.

invictius said:

Does Jdoom support dehacked patches? Namely, I want to use a patch to change intermission text, but I'm not even sure that inserting the patch as a lump in the pwad would allow jdoom to pick it up.

Pasted from another thread:

DaniJ said:

jDoom does indeed support deh patches in DEHACKED lump form. However the "advanced" BEX [CODEPTR] stuff is not currently supported.

The reason I thought it didn't support it was that fragport's deh doesn't seem to work with it. Btw, I was interested in how that guy used the doom "font" for intermission level names (surely he didn't copy and paste every individual letter?). The well-known truetype doom font doesn't come out anything like that...