Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Lack of classic Doom deathmatch on ZDaemon

I had a craving to visit the old days of classic deathmatch Doom, but searched through all the servers on ZDaemon only to find mostly PWAD servers.

I think there was 1 FFA Doom server in austrailia that had the regular e1mX levels, but I'm obviously not gonna get good pings there am I?

Has the community lost it's roots? Do we really enjoy all of these (mostly) silly pwad deathmatch maps? Get a few servers up there with the classic FFA regular doom1 and Doom2 levels.

Since DOOM II came out 99% of all DeathMatch has been on DOOM II, not DOOM, and mostly 1-on-1 games. I don't think the classic levels are very good for FFA DM either... maybe a couple are okay (like Map16), but really, most DM specific wads are better for FFA.

And "classic" MultiPlayer would be what people played over Dwango and in LANs or tourneys. At least considering its golden age. If want to get any idea about DOOM's DM roots, get some DM demos from the 90s.

Well back in the day, I played most of my deathmatch games on E1MX and several Doom2 levels.

Most ZDaemon servers I go on are full of silly sounds, graphics, levels... well it's just not Doom. Not that I don't like playing them but I want to play the Doom that provokes the nostalgia too.

I like Doom 1 DM because the lack of the SSG and the lack of a BFG in most levels.

The only shitty thing is no megasphere.

KennyJC said:

Most ZDaemon servers I go on are full of silly sounds, graphics, levels... well it's just not Doom.

Correct. It's the Doom equivilent of AOL.

Quite a few people run servers like that on Skulltag. Skulltag is also an equivalent of AOL, yet the two ports aren't so because of just such servers being run, but also because of the communities themselves. On a side note, it's much more difficult to find classic Doom deathmatch on Skulltag than on ZDaemon.