Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Parapsyche

Naming a map.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, and read quite a few threads to see if I could find an answer. I've seen a couple of topics about it, but none of them really explain it such that I cna figure out what to do, lol (I'm quite a n00b). Anyway, I've been making a map recently (planning to do a 32 level set), and have been wondering how to name my map, so that it doesn't show up as Entryway in the automap, and also how to change the text sequences (like the one that occurs before Dead Simple).

I've read that you can use dehacked for this, but I downloaded it and have no idea how to use it. If anyone could help me out with this, it would be awesome.

Oh, and in case it's important, I'm making my map using Doom Builder, with a ZDoom Doom-Hexen format using the Doom 2 WAD. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I remember reading somewhere that to change the map name as it shows up right before you enter a level (Like "Entering: Downtown") you actually have to just change the sprite of the level name. Is that correct?

Thanks! That's definitely useful for the functions and stuff. But how do you go about making a MAPINFO lump that is associated with the wad you are creating?

So like, opening up my wad file in notepad, and actually typing it in there?

Again, sorry for the noob questions, lol.

Or just make a simple text file using whichever text editing software you like and put it into your WAD using something like XWE. Personally I like to do it that way rather than use a tool to edit the lump directly inside the WAD.

Alright, thanks a lot for all the replies, guys!

I got XWE and opened up my wad in it, made a new entry called "MAPINFO" in the list at the left, and inputted information for my map into it.

However, this causes another problem :S For some reason, after I do this, DoomBuilder won't open the wad up anymore, which is weird. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

paste what you put into the mapinfo lump here so we can see

also try: delete the mapinfo lump, then open up notepad, put in the information, save as MAPINFO.txt, then open up XWE, and import the txt file into your wad. Make sure the new entry this creates is called MAPINFO, and click on it to make sure all the info is still in there. From here on out, you can just edit the file through XWE, we just wanted to make the original lump with notepad.

Watch out, XWE is extremelly dangerous. I haven't seen a File/Save menu command yet. So don't go ecstazic and DON't PRESS DELETE unless you really want to!

Ebon said:

Watch out, XWE is extremelly dangerous. I haven't seen a File/Save menu command yet. So don't go ecstazic and DON't PRESS DELETE unless you really want to!

XWE has this amazing feature that lets you undo actions that you didn't really mean to do. It's called Undo. Of course, XWE doesn't have a save feature, because it automatically saves the WAD when changes are made. I can think of a few lump editors that do things this way (Wintex, for example, does this).

Wintex doesn't automatically save the wad when changes are made.

It has a "save" command, and a "quit" command and a "quit and save"

But yes. XWE got UNDO, and as an extra failsafe it keeps backups of the wad. Aswell as that each time you change a lump of any kind in the wad, it will ask if it should save the changes.

Aside from a few bugs that you get the catch on pretty quickly, XWE is a really good program.

kristus said:

It has a "save" command, and a "quit" command and a "quit and save"

Yes, but from my experience they all do the same thing. Even if you select "cancel & quit", or just "quit", it'll still save the WAD no matter what.

AgentSpork said:

Yes, but from my experience they all do the same thing. Even if you select "cancel & quit", or just "quit", it'll still save the WAD no matter what.

Sort of, it depends what you change. If you insert a new lump and then "cancel & quit" it won't save the lump. But, if you modify an existing lump or do work in the texture editor, it asks to confirm if you want to modify them there and then. If you say yes, that gets saved regardless... I think.