Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawkwind

DeHacked

Is it possible when pressing the Lumps radio button that the DEHACKED lump can be displayed also ? I realise that I can find it using the All radio button and quickfind.

Also, in map mode , what is the box in the top left hand corner ?

Open up XWE.INI and find the dehacked lump definition. You can comment it out by adding semicolons to the front. E.g.

;[DEHACKED]
;Entry : "DEHACKED"
;Editor : ScriptEditor,DEHACKED
This way it will show in the Lumps list and you'll still be able to edit it. I guess I could also "hack" XWE to include this type in the Lumps list, but it "doesn't feel right".

The textbox in the top/left corner is for the keyboard focus. I know it's a bit weird, but the focus has to be on something that can receive keyboard input, and the main thing there is the map image itself, which cannot get focus. Just ignore it basically.

I too have been having this problem: as an old-skool DOOMer (read: ex-WinTex user :) ), I am used to thinking of DEHACKED and DECORATE as "lumps" so was surprised when they didn't show up in the "lumps" filter.

However, if it "doesn't feel right" to place them as lumps because they are "special things", then surely it is equally "wrong" that "special things" do not have a filter button of their own? That is the real problem here - XWE lacks a filter button for "script-like objects (other than ACS source)". With many engines having several kinds of configuration files such as DDF*, DEHACKED, LOCKDEFS and so forth, it is becoming increasingly necessary to be able to "see" them independently of the other lumps.

Please can we have a new filter button for "text files" or something like that?

Csabo, correct me if I am wrong, but wont the above example work in this case ? i.e. manually adding the code so XWE can recognise these lumps.

Martin Howe said:
However, if it "doesn't feel right" to place them as lumps because they are "special things", then surely it is equally "wrong" that "special things" do not have a filter button of their own?

I'd say the best alternative it to rename Lumps to Misc. and to let the editor pick up anything it doesn't immediately recognize there, and allow text editing for it. Anything in the wad list is a lump anyway (sans markers perhaps), so "Lump" is kind of redundant or misleading and was merely borrowed from WinTex, in a way.

Hawkwind, you are correct, what Martin asked for could be done just by modifying the XWE.INI. However, you will lose the syntax highlighting part for one.

I think the best thing would be to improve the filtering part: make it more dynamic, so that new buttons could easily be added, and each button could filter the list down to several recognized types. This way, we will be able to do a "Text lumps" filter, and include "DEHACKED", "ACSSCRIPT" and whatever else (there's actually a lot of types).