• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Are you going to see Silent Hill?

Will you see Silent Hill?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Will you see Silent Hill?

• Yes, and I have a second pair of underwear ready.
    • No, I plan on sleeping with mommy and daddy that night.
    • Maybe. My testicles may descend by Friday. Who knows?
    • What? A Silent Hill movie is coming?

It's going to be out this Friday and I plan on seeing it opening night. I read the diary/blog of the director and it seems that he really is going to try to keep the movie as true to the game(s) as possible, which is something I respect.

Yes indeed I am.
I haven't played much of the series (at most, SH2 halfway through), but I know what to expect and it should be great. Maybe this will turn things around for the game>movie business. Oddly enough, while I was researching energy sources for work, I discovered that there's a town near where I live that served as the inspiration for the movie. It was even the codename for the movie, so they could keep it under wraps.

See, the town used to be a regular coal mining town, until the 60's when a large vein of coal caught fire underground. The town spent ten years and $10 million to extinguish the underground fire until they gave up. Now, eerie smoke rises from the ground constantly, releasing toxins into the air. Large fissures the size of houses appear when the subsurface underneath gives way. There are hundreds of acres of dead forest. The town's population went from over a thousand to a dozen or so. Geologists predict the coal will burn for another century.

I should take a drive down there one night, I'll bet it's creepy as hell.

I've just read up on the SH series, and god do I want to buy them all.

I've got a real son-of-a-bitch for a brother-in-law, so I've been looking for some games that drip pure atmosphere so he can actually appreciate what games can do in that regard. He's got a tendency to detach and comment on the rendering / collision they're doing, and I think Silent Hill is the perfect series to snap him out of that. Plus it'll be fun to watch him squirm like a girl.

The question is, which to buy?

Bucket said:

I've just read up on the SH series, and god do I want to buy them all.

I've got a real son-of-a-bitch for a brother-in-law, so I've been looking for some games that drip pure atmosphere so he can actually appreciate what games can do in that regard. He's got a tendency to detach and comment on the rendering / collision they're doing, and I think Silent Hill is the perfect series to snap him out of that. Plus it'll be fun to watch him squirm like a girl.

The first one is great if you don't mind dated graphics. The second one is a step up, though it can be a bit tedious at first...I haven't played more than about an hour in. I hear good things about the third one, and that'd probably be the best place to start, that or the second one. I can't really recommend the fourth one by itself unless you've already built up nostalgia from any of the other three. There were just too many annoying game features and it really wasn't too terribly scary.

Looks pretty freaky, and I like the girl in the leading role(wasn't she in Pitch Black?). Maybe not this Friday because of work, but more likely Saturday.

I doubt it, judging by the amount of advertising I've been getting about it.

The film itself looks good but I'm not a big fan of the horror genre so I'll pass.

Bucket said:

3, Silnet Hill 3 is the best so far hands down that I have played.

I have only played 1,3 and 4. I thinking of getting the second one of ebay.

Kristian Ronge said:

I smell a straight-to-video release here. :-/

No, that's your feet. You don't "go to see" a video. It's a well known fact it's getting a theatrical release and the content of this thread makes that pretty obvious.

I'll be seeing it once it comes out here in New Zealand. I've never played the games (no Playstation) but I've liked what I've heard and the early reviews for the movie have been very positive.

DeumReaper said:

I've never played the game, but I probably will go see the movie anyway it looks good.

Really? You don't know what you're missing man.

Another interesting detail I've heard about this movie is that it was shot in full brightness, with professional dancers/contortionists (no CG monsters). The dancers were augmented in CG, and the light level allowed the director to shoot in high-definition while adding darkness in post-production. Sounds like a unique approach. Although admittedly, filmmakers were adding "fake darkness" to movies way back in the 60's/70's when shooting at night wasn't viable.

Also, Pyramid Head looks badass.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/DCrookZ/pyramid_head.jpg

EDIT: Anecdotal review from a screener in another board:

The movie pretty much kicked everyone's ***. The audience was really into it, and amazingly was dead silent through the entire movie, except to clap at the end. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll keep my comments pretty brief, and tell you more when I'm home. But lets just say, that even through a few minor problems (mostly with a few strnage plot choices, and some poor minor character casting) the movie is bar none the best video game adaptation yet. And my personal choice for best horror film in a long time. The atmosphere is perfect, the major characters are perfect, the monster design is more than perfect. PH looks bad-***, though he wasn't seen as much as I thought he would be. There are some great scene reenactments, and tons of nods to the game. It runs about 2 hours (2:06 officially), and it never seems to drag, which is good for the story. The Janitor is awesome, just to put that in there. Well man, I don't have much time, I'm going to get o home and change pants after wetting myself with excitment, I'll email you a "review" tomorrow for everyone...."ect.

Yes, I'm going to see it tomorrow. I've been a fan since the original game. The movie looks like it's going to be awesome.

Heres the (only) review in imdb:

I just got out of an Employee screening of this movie at the movie theatre i work at. There were about 20 people in the screening, all people I worked with. IT WAS TERRIBLE. Nothing made sense at all, at the end nothing gets settled or resolved. The only positive comment i heard from another employee is that it was "OK" but they didn't care for it. It just didn't make sense, you don't know the characters or where they came from, or what they are doing. So many things happen over and over and they lead to nothing. thats all, but go see it to see for yourself, i just don't understand!! it made no sense and wasn't scary. OK

I don't think he understood that Silent Hill isn't supposed to make sense :P

with characters like this:

What could go wrong?

but, yeahm I'm gonna go see it. with a group of friends. I'll probably get to sit in the projector room with my friend that works at the local theatre.

Hells yeah! Im going to bed in about a hour and a half so I can get up at 3am to head to Minnieapolis to go see it.

Then saturday go see Ladytron play at a club.

My weekend is going to rock.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silent_hill/?show=all

The reviews so far are certainly extreme. Nothing middle-of-the-road to be seen. I wonder if the good reviews are from people who have played the game, and the bad reviews are from the people who haven't.

Either way, that spells "Damn Good Movie" as far as I'm concerned. I'm seeing it tomorrow.