Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

I just figured out the entire meaning of life!

Do you ever feel that before you were ever born, that you simply had a "character sheet" for a chronicle roleplaying game called "Earth" a front of you and you have to simply fill out on which race,gender,class,lifestyle,demeaner,destiney,ect
by once you filled out everything, you simply "start the game" by simply being born?

I may sound insane but For one example: I just have this feeling that in my life I'm the "PC" (player character) since I can controll my own conscience but everybody else in my life is the "NPC" (Non Player Character)

as you know like in most role playing games, the NPCs are the ones who trying to get a piece of you or manipulating you to their own ends (thus you lose your game) or you can by simply trusting on only yourself and try winning the game (or die trying to)

So in closing, our own reality really is a RPG which basicly the entire meaning and plot of the game is the struggle of individuality there is a hidden "Individuality" or "Sanity" gadge wthin us which means if it reaches up to "10" means you have won the game (you win real life) but however when it reaches "0" means vice versa...you lose the game (you lost reality)

thoughts?

I think gamespot did a joke on this where they reviewed life, too hard to search for it though. Good times.

Congratulations, Nightmare Doom, you have taken the first step toward being a philosopher. I have also thought about this kind of thing, but not as if I were about to set up an RPG account. The reality is though that much of your personality just like your physical being is hereditary, though your personality is also shaped by your experiences. Then again, your body is too.

Nightmare Doom said:

Do you ever feel that before you were ever born, that you simply had a "character sheet" for a chronicle roleplaying game called "Earth" a front of you and you have to simply fill out on which race,gender,class,lifestyle,demeaner,destiney,ect
by once you filled out everything, you simply "start the game" by simply being born?

no.

you win real life

what does "winning" or "losing" actually constitute in this game?

....ok, you need some help dude.

I don't mean this sarcastically or lightly either. I think you need help, really.

I thought the meaning of life was "every rose has its thorn, just like every night has its dawn, just like every cowboy sing a sad, sad song, every rose has its thorn"? heh

Heh, Vileslay, the Gwar quote in your sig reminds me of the Rudimentary Peni song Teenage Time Killer.

Here's a quote relevant to the topic at hand.
"This is the strangest life I've ever known." - from the Doors song Waiting for the Sun. That's at least damn sure for me.

As I read the first paragraph of this thread I was expecting Nightmare Doom to be getting at something like what people yearn to be in one life they may end up reincarnated closer towards in the next. But then came some crap about PC's and NPC's.

WTF are you talking about? The meaning of life is food and sex (I'm lumping water and oxygen into the food category). Food + Sex = Life. I would have thought that to be self-evident, but obviously not.

Yup. It's all about making little versions of you. That's what life has been about ever since the first organic goo started to replicate.

Self-replication is not a necessary (or at least, sufficient) property of life.

I think the definition "A complex system is alive if it uses energy to maintain the order integral to its internal function." established by users of the c2 wiki is more accurate.

Sure, probably everyone knew some kid at school that espoused this unimaginative and unproductive idea for a while. Mostly they grew out of it, and would be embarrassed if it were later brought up.

Just because something may be irrefutable from a philosophical viewpoint doesn't mean you should base your world outlook upon it.

ever. The meaning of life is to find immortality... in a figurative way, not literally.

Ichor said:

I was hoping this wasn't going to be the original post :P

I've had that RPG feeling sometimes. One day a few years ago I was watching various Discovery shows about all these ridiculous obscure and seemingly useless things that people specialize in and I realized that learning such RL skills can be quite similar to building your character in an RPG (something I've probably spent too much time doing in days gone by), so I took a bunch of community education classes and got started with a few other things too. In retrospect, it's pretty stupid, but that little change in the way I viewed things somehow made life considerably more exciting and enjoyable.

Nightmare Doom said:

Have you guys ever heared of Solipsism?

I remember wanting to read a book called Solipsist by Henry Rollins. Never knew what it was about though.