Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Autoalign

I've pretty much finished my first level in Doombuilder... all that remains is to align textures, light levels, goodies and baddie things etc

I haven't made much progress with alignment though. Mostly in 3d mode I just press A/Shift & A until it looks good. I aligned everything perfectly doing this in one of the main rooms and a stairway leading off it... then I moved onto a turret leading off the stairway and noticed some more textures needing alignment so I did the usual A/Shift & A and got it looking decent... But then I went back down the staiway and to the main room and all the alignment I had done before was gone and I had to start again.

I must be misusing autoalign... and ideas?

KennyJC said:

... I must be misusing autoalign... ?

No, I don't think so. It has been reported many times that DB screws up ones masterpiece in many and 'wonderful' ways.

One idea, which springs to mind immediately is
save, save and save
before proceeding to the next task.

It does a simple align based on the line you first select align from, then checks the next attached line, and if any of the textures match, aligns that texture, and so on. If you have a long chain of lines with the same textures, you'll end up aligning the whole thing. I can't remember if it checks uppper/mid/lower texture matchs, or uses them all to determine a same texture.

Either align it manually, or put a different texture somewhere to break the chain of aligned lines.

More problems with pissing aligning. I am finding textures that look perfectly aligned in Doombuilder look completely wrong in the actual game.

Is this a bug or user error?

KennyJC said:
Is this a bug or user error?

Not sure, but perhaps neither. Some engines have changed some alignment properties, fixing or breaking (depending on who you ask) standard behavior. So maybe Doom Builder is aligning the textures like some other engine you're not using expects.

In 2D view, you can perform similar auto-aligment, but you can select linedefs where it should be executed.