caco_killer

Tomb Raider Legend is awesome.

Played Tomb Raider Legend?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Played Tomb Raider Legend?

• Yes
    • No
    • What the hell is Tomb Raider?

Crystal Dynamics has revived the series. It's like they've fixed every problem the old games had. Now the game has responsive controls that are easy to use, faster-paced combat, and better puzzles. Remember in the old games how you always had to collect things to open doors in levels? Now the only thing you'll be picking up is bronze, silver, and gold artifacts to unlock extra things, such as costumes for Lara, upgrades to your Pistols, and cheat codes (there's also many more things to unlock). The artifacts are very hard to find, so I'm sure that will add several hours to the six it took me to finish the game (it's short, but very sweet, so I don't have a problem with it's length).

The combat is much faster-paced since Lara can do more then just shoot and jump around. Now she kick enemies to the ground (useful for the guards with riot shields), and even backflip off them and shoot them in midair with cool slow-mo effects. There's also specially marked objects you can destroy to kill enemies faster. The game also has several boss fights, the best ones involve multiple factors, like the fight against the giant snake creature. You have to lure it over to these sharp cages by shooting at a bell, then you have to quickly use your grappling hook to pull the switch so it drops onto the creature. It was quite difficult, as it gives you only a small amount of time to do it before it starts lunging at you again.

The story is pretty good. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say the entertaining ending makes the game open for a sequel.

The only things I don't like about the game are minor issues like how the grappling hook doesn't always hook up to object I want it to (this happens when two objects that you can use the grappling hook on are near each other), and the pointless grenade launcher (Lara throws her grenades further then it shoots them).

All-in-all it's an awesome game and I'm looking forward to a sequel. Anyone play it yet?

I haven't played any of the Tomb Raider games since the TR2 demo for PC. You made this game out to sound pretty sweet. After I'm done renting The Godfather (also a nice game), I'll check Legends out.

TR Legend is a marked improvement over the first several games, especially in terms of controls - however, despite their improvements, I still had quite a lot of trouble dealing with the camera (in the PC demo at least) - resulting in it focusing on Lara's breasts more often than the platform I wanted to jump to.

baronofhell said:

The only thing I can say is Lara Croft is hotter than ever!!!

Yeah she's scary hot for a video game character, it actually made me a little uncomfortable.

TRL was pretty good, I've never played another Tomb Raider game so I have no base of reference. I was kind of sad that it was so ultralinear with its "OK here is another carefully constructed gymnastics routine" stuff and the combat really should have been removed entirely because it was awful. Plus the plot with the evil blond girl was pretty blase and the ending was a total gyp. Otherwise it was a perfectly acceptable platformer.

I think this says it all.

If they really have improved the controls (and hopefully that sodding camera too), I *might* bother giving it a try. I'm not what you'd call a fan of the series.

Coopersville said:

(...) The Godfather (also a nice game)

I've been playing this a bit lately. It's not often that games based on movies are decent, but it's pretty good. The fighting and shooting aspects are better than in the recent GTA games, which is the obvious comparison, but the handling of the cars takes some getting used to.

WildWeasel said:

TR Legend is a marked improvement over the first several games, especially in terms of controls - however, despite their improvements, I still had quite a lot of trouble dealing with the camera (in the PC demo at least) - resulting in it focusing on Lara's breasts more often than the platform I wanted to jump to.

The camera sucks in the PC demo, it works well in the Xbox version I bought. You can easily rotate it to where you want it to be.

Linguica said:

Yeah she's scary hot for a video game character, it actually made me a little uncomfortable.

TRL was pretty good, I've never played another Tomb Raider game so I have no base of reference. I was kind of sad that it was so ultralinear with its "OK here is another carefully constructed gymnastics routine" stuff and the combat really should have been removed entirely because it was awful. Plus the plot with the evil blond girl was pretty blase and the ending was a total gyp. Otherwise it was a perfectly acceptable platformer.

The older games are less linear, but they can be more confusing (especially the third game), but the combat has always been a flawed part of the series. The combat is really not much different from the older games. I just like it better because you can do more then just jump sideways to avoid taking damage in shootouts. As for the ending, I thought it was pretty funny how Lara smacks that stupid girl, she really deserved it.

Unlike the older episodes which were horrific as PC games, considering their interfaces (just like most games that are supposed to be out on consoles first. Pro Evolution Soccer anyone?). And anyway, the sequels were exactly the same as the original. I'm happy to know Legend is actually a good game.

(holy shit, she is hot and I am sick for saying that about a digital character)

spank said:

(holy shit, she is hot and I am sick for saying that about a digital character)

She'd be hotter without all that damn make-up. Oh yeah, and I'm sick for saying that about a digital character.

Her face is fucking huge for that tiny angular head, it's almost alien. I'm sure her breasts look just fine, though.

yeah, the mouth and eyes are way ouyt there, Kind of Manga. :p

I haven't really played much of the Tomb Raider games, had a few friends that loved them for some reason. But I found them pretty dull myself.

exp(x) said:

Oh yeah, and I'm sick for saying that about a digital character.

I can just as easily not say it.

Needs fur.

Her eyes are too big. Lousy Asian influence. I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider but quickly lost interest when it became the woman’s idle for video games. Ironically enough these same woman calls games sexist for portraying woman as big bobbed objects. Woman don't know what they want.

Legend is a sorely needed improvement to the series. I always liked the concept, I've loved history and archaeology since I was a kid, but they were held back by some horribly illogical puzzles and the godawful game engine Core couldn't seem to improve, or wouldn't for reasons best known to themselves. Legend is the first game of the series I think has done the character and the concept justice.

My only real complaint is it holds your hand too much. The constant prompts telling you what to do were a bit over the top.

Did I hear someone saying that the camera zooming in on her breasts is a bad thing?

and Rofl at Rf.

heh, they tried to make her look like angelina jolie. I played the first one and hated it, but the ads for this one make it look decent. prolly wont play it anyway.

VileSlay said:

heh, they tried to make her look like angelina jolie. I played the first one and hated it, but the ads for this one make it look decent. prolly wont play it anyway.

Her hips aren't near wide enough yet.

Linguica said:

Plus the plot with the evil blond girl was pretty blase and the ending was a total gyp.

Lara should've put her tongue down the evil blonde chick's throat. That would have made the plot alot more exciting.

rf` said:

Her hips aren't near wide enough yet.

just talkin face-wise. be dumb to give her jolie's body. that would give lara a breast reduction, and we all know that you can't do that.