• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kelzam

The Exiled (Updated 5.20.06)

All new updates are now simply posted as new posts on the thread

Update 5.20.06

My recent update post(s) shows off some new screens from Map12: Nightmare Depths and Map20: Soul Tomb

Update 4.28.06

MAP01: The Desecrated Ruins is... finished! Heres some screens from the final product :D This may or may not be released as a single map. It may be released with Map02 as a demo rather than just being one map. We'll see, I'll discuss it with DaniJ soon.

Also, some screens from Map02 so far:

Map02: Temple of the Desecrated

Update 4.23.06

Still working on Map01. These will be the last screens I post of it until it's completion. The project may find it's home on JDoom as I've now learned has to make a pk3 for JDoom, added fog to the map, the soundtrack, and an ambient wind track. Also, the map will be divided up into two parts, spread across two maps: Map01: The Desecrated Ruins and Map02: The Temple of Desecrated Ruins. Tonight or tomorrow the structural and detail part of the map should be done.

Update 4.21.06

Mapping is going well, as over half of Map??: "Desecrated Ruins" is complete, design-wise. Originally the map was being done using tons of the Brick textures from Doom 2, but it simply wasn't dark enough. Enter the Doom 64 textures. Now the map is looking closer to the original vision for it, the walls of this ancient demonic city-kingdom damaged and dark.

<snip>

As of now no dynamic lighting has been put in place, and later the sky will be made so that it thunders and lightnings. I can say that I'm pretty happy with how this is turning out.

Updated 4.17.06

The project has been titled "The Exiled", and is for GZDoom. 3D floors and .acs scripting will be taken advantage of for this project. A small list of map names for maps being worked on or that are completed is below:

Map??: Nightmare Depths
Map??: Soul Tomb
Map??: Forge of Tormented Dreams
Map??: Altar of the Unspeakable
Map??: The Desecrated
Map??: Call of the Defiled

Plot Synopsis: A marine on Earth enters combat and dies. This marine wakes up in a nightmarish, desolate waste land surrounded by decaying walls. As he gets up he realizes what has happened: He has gone to hell. The marine will notices he still has his pistol, and fights his way through hell to try and get back to the living world, gathering the ammo of other fallen marines whose body and souls have been desecrated by the demons.

Lastly, screens will come sometime this week.

--------------------------------
[edited for a few reasons]

After a recent argument and termination from TeamKill from making the nearly completed project open beta due it taking a year for three people to try and release a miniscule 10 maps, I'm pulling my maps from the project and have decided to pick back up what would have been Dark Nexus.

However, this yet to be titled project is no longer a mod for the Doom 64 TC. Since the Doom 64 TC is currently under construction by DaniJ of the JDoom team for the next version of Doomsday, and the old TC is somewhat of a mess editing wise, Dark Nexus will be made for Risen 3D as it is Boom compatible and offers just as good eye-candy as found in JDoom, for the most part.

How big it will be is not yet known, but with the maps I pulled from Scourge: Lunar Eclipse, and some other maps I have laying around, I have about 7 maps done. The ones in that were in Scourge: Lunar Eclipse may be heavily modified to take advantage of Risen 3D features, and extended upon due to the fact that DJ Haruko will probably not respect my wishes for my maps to be removed.

So those of you who awaited what was Dark Nexus for a long time before I handed the resources and project name to Iori, know that it is resurrected but will be reincarnated as a different project. I anticipate it to be out by the end of summer.

I thought Dark Nexus was for Doom Legacy, and I thought you gave full control of it over to Iori. But, that's just what I last heard (haven't heard anything from the project in some time).

AgentSpork said:

I thought Dark Nexus was for Doom Legacy, and I thought you gave full control of it over to Iori. But, that's just what I last heard (haven't heard anything from the project in some time).

I don't know whats happening with Dark Nexus, but if Iori is still working on it then the project will take on a different name. Its been so long ago I forgot I handed it over to Iori until I read your post.

off and on, though I was still planning on using the name. I've just withheld any progress to avoid hype

iori said:

off and on, though I was still planning on using the name. I've just withheld any progress to avoid hype

No problem then. Since I gave it to you, I'll come up with a different name for this project. Glad to know you're still working on it :)

Cool, I thought you'd be more attached to the name. It's all gravy then.

Xenphire said:

The project has been titled "The Exiled", and is for GZDoom. 3D floors and .acs scripting will be taken advantage of for this project.

Why do people always find it important to empathize on what features of the said port will be used? We all assume you'll be using the features at hand, if you hadn't , why would you make it for a special port?

kristus said:

Why do people always find it important to empathize on what features of the said port will be used? We all assume you'll be using the features at hand, if you hadn't , why would you make it for a special port?

I don't know; Maybe its exciting for me personally, because when I've mapped in the past I've rarely tried using those things, thus I feel like making a point of it?

Update for 4.28.06. Map01 is complete and work on Map02 is started. Read OP for details.

Map12: Nightmare Depths

re-texturing and lighting Map 12: Nightmare Depths (formerly Map08 of SLE). Its looking absolutely amazing. Heres some before/after screenshots

Before:

After:

Map 20: Soul Tomb

Also a former SLE map under-going re-texturing and lighting (hence the mis-alighments and some textures that still need replaced)

As you can see, you won't suffer from useless over-detailing and a desperate need of high-variation in The Exiled, and you'll definitely be getting some decent gameplay ;) (some beta testers can vouch for that :D)

Screenshots look very nice. My only complaint would be that the blue lights in the last screenshot seem a little bit.. extreme. Other than that it looks great.

Thanks everyone :) In regards to the lighting, I'm starting to get used to Doomsday 1.9's BIAS lighting so its taking me some tweaking to get it right. I'm aiming for it to be realistic (sometimes surreal depending on the atompshere I'm going for), but its coming along quite nicely.

Map12: Nightmare Depths' revamp is totally complete. Here are four final screenshots:

Next WIP: Map13: Forge of Tormented Dreams

Yet another update. This time two screens of Map18: Damnation. Unfortunately still screens don't allow you to see the lightning and hear the thunder, or the water ambience in the lower portions of the map (theres three levels to the map, lower, middle, and upper. Lower consists of catacombs, body disposal areas, and canals; The other two are yet to be desided).

Looks breathtaking and good luck!

Shame it's still classic Doom, so the same STUPID monsters. But looks like it'd make a great haunted-house story.

Ebon said:

Looks breathtaking and good luck!

Shame it's still classic Doom, so the same STUPID monsters. But looks like it'd make a great haunted-house story.

Theres going to be a few new monsters, particularly the bosses. I'm going to use Doom 64 models, as well. Hi-res versions of all the Doom 64 textures are being made for the project, so the possibility of models made of the Doom 64 monsters is there (though how good of models I cannot guarantee since Dani J666 is also working on the jDRP)

There is an example of one that still isn't quite finished, but coming along rather nicely.

I've been taking a break from mapping and playing other video games to try and draw ideas and inspirations for levels in The Exiled lately, and I have been able to come up with some pretty good ideas. At the moment my goal is to have a starting area for as many of the maps in the project as possible, so I have something started for each map and somewhere to go once I come back to each of those maps.

At the moment I'm working on the starting area of Map06, which was originally titled "Malevolent Sanctuary", now named Shadowkeep. The map will actually be a castle-like map with mostly indoor areas but some outdoor areas as well. You will find yourself making your way up spiraling stairs in towers and deal with a lot of illusions in this place.

I would like to get this project in beta form at the least by the end of summer. We will see how it progresses and how that goes as real life moves forward. I'm also awaiting Dani J to complete some models that are to be place in certain maps so I can buid rooms and such around them. Also, Dani J should at some point in the future be getting me fixed up in terms of a place to put a website for my projects and such (hopefully sooner than later).