Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

dung masquerading as a map

I had to get off the comp but I gotta finish this one later, it was pretty fun. I got to the first mancubii.

I wouldn't call it a steaming pile of dung by a long shot. It may be a bit old, and not quite as detailed as some of your newer maps, but it was a pretty damn fun map to play. Really enjoyed it. :)

Yeah, I haven't played it all, but it was fun, even if it doesn't look as good as your newer maps. The outside areas look great too.

Not bad for a somewhat underdetailer. Challenging and room variation is pretty good. If you took the time to revamp this and detail yada yada you'd have a real shine for newstuff man.

A bit on the easy side with all the health and ammo, but it's still an awesome map. Fix the last 2 switches, ATM they work in ZDoom only.

Looks/detail/whatever are fine.

You might think it's a steaming pile of dung, but I thought it was one of the best maps released this year. There was so much action going on that I didn't even notice any low detail. The 'screaming room' at the end was a nice touch.

As Belial said, there is too much ammo, but it might be needed if the early archviles get out of hand.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. It's good to know it's not been a complete waste of time.

I was probably being a bit hard on both myself and this level. I described a few of my problems in the text file but in the end it was the level size and ammo balance refinement that was the killing blow to my enthusiasm. Everytime I played through this map I'd end up with differing ammounts of ammo left at the end. It may have been down to weapon use choices in certain fights, or my inconsistant doom playing ability due to late nights. Each run through of the map took me over a hour, so testing slight changes throughout the level was a long process.

I don't generally get a lot of spare time to work on my designs. Work and my kids suck up most of the hours in the day, which is why my output is so slow at times. To get this level finished I had to grab design time as and when I could. This ultimately meant working on the level between midnight and 3am and then getting up for work before 8am. Less than 5 hours of sleep a night for two weeks straight got to me in the end and resulted in my 'attitude' towards this level.

Yes, there probably is too much ammo as a result (but better that than not enough ammo).

I can't comment on the end switches only working in ZDoom. I'll look into that when I can muster the enthusiasm to open up Wadauthor again.

Thanks again for the positive feedback :)

Russell_P said:

I can't comment on the end switches only working in ZDoom. I'll look into that when I can muster the enthusiasm to open up Wadauthor again.

Apologies for bumping a week-old thread but I decided to try and debug this - I thought if you know exactly why the switches fail, you might be more amenable to the idea of opening WadAuthor again.

It's the same issue as in CC2 map 24 - the switches (linedefs 10767, 10775) are behind scrolling walls (linedefs 10758-10765 and 10783-10790), which being nonzero linedef specials, eat the keypresses before they reach the switches.

The simplest fix is to set the linedef actions back to zero, but that looks odd, given the other scrolling walls in the vicinity. Therefore you might also like to lower the floors of sectors 2061-2064 all by 4 units, and set the floor flat of sectors 2061 and 2064 to RROCK04 to match the surrounding sector 2047.

And if you fix those, then you might as well make linedef 633 normal.

Currently it is an S1 remote door without a tag, which means that if you accidentally press on it (quite possible given it is right next to a switch) in a purely limit-removing port (or an MBF descendant with "Linedef effects work sector tag = 0" turned on), the whole map falls apart and becomes unplayable.

Grazza said:
And if you fix those, then you might as well make linedef 633 normal.

Yes, please fix that (it's a nasty glitch); I want to try the piece of bovine excrement with Doom2+, when I have time soon.