Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Hot Sauce

I have a question here.

I love hot sauce. I dunno why, but Texas Pete hot sauce is like liquid gold to me. It's not really hot, just enough. which means I use a lot of it. But it's Cheap.

and I wonder why that is.

Why is hot sauce so "cheap" compared to other condiments?

IIRC, the proper technique for hot sauce is to age the peppers for 3+ years. that alone would make the cost go up, right? a small bottle of ketchup costs $1.50 or so, mustard is $1.00, but texas pete and its competitors are... 35 cents a bottle, and that's for the big ones.

I'm just curious into why that is. they're glass bottles, unlike the plastic bottles of any other condiment now. Is it the ingredients? the labour? I know this is kind of stupid, but it's just stuff I think of to ponder about. :P

If you can't think of an answer, just tell me this: what's YOUR favourite hot sauce?

EDIT: the prices of hot sauce on the internet are ridiculous!

I really cant tell you, and I'm a nut about hot foods. It could have something to do with the the moderate demand, as opposed to high with other condiments.

Louisiana Hot Sauce ftw

I like chaloua or whatever it's called, and any hotsauce I encounter while out is fine except Tabasco. It has too much vinegar in it. :/

I bought a bottle of this sauce ("Bee Sting" Honey'n'Habanero Pepper Sauce) a while ago, and grew quite fond of it. It's listed as a "hot" hot sauce on the site I linked to, but I don't really think so (I've tasted a *lot* worse). The honey makes it very sweet and the combination of hot and sweet is excellent. I use it for lots of dishes.

I'ma have to try that. you have good taste, sir. :)

also, there is a local ( I guess) group that makes what is known as "ass in space" hot sauce. now, I don't like hot sauce that does that to someone, but the name alone make me purchase a bottle. I've yet to open it, mainly out of fear. ;)

On most things Tabasco usually does it, but sometimes like on chips I add a third Tabasco; a third Lousiana (the elongated bottle kind); and if I feel like it, maybe a Texas Pete or BBQ or some other kind.

fodders said:

Heinz tomato ketchup :)

damn, we needed a ketchup nation, didn't we? all politics aside, try that spicy ketchup. I remember heinz chili ketchup which was awesome on fries. too bad it's discontinued. :/

goddamn! that's almost fucking radioactive! that makes texas pete seem like sugar in comparison!

Muahaha >:)

On a side note: stir-frying habaneros and onions in chili oil without wearing a face mask is a bad idea. I did just that Thursday night, and it fucked up my lungs pretty badly. I ended up with a fever and a nasty cough the next day, and I still haven't recovered. My temperature was 102.6°F last night. :(

Hot-Headz "Who Dares Burns" is pretty good. My local Sainsbury's sold it for a short while, probably until someone realized how damned dangerous the stuff is (it's a hospital visit if you get it in your eyes, etc.). Much more than a few drops will make a dish inedible for "normal" people.

I used to get habaneros every so often, but nowadays I have no reason to go to the part of London where I used to buy them. Fortunately I knew about the precautions to take when cooking with them, having watched some program about capsaicin (it especially focused on its medicinal uses in the treatment of extreme pain). I also knew to have milk (or a milk-based product) handy to neutralize its effect.

Has anyone here tried Curry Hell?

Grazza said:

Has anyone here tried Curry Hell?

Oooh, I believe I need to take a trip to Newcastle. There is a Thai restaurant near where I used to live in California that had a "fire eaters" club. Basically, if you ordered any dish with the "fire" level of spiciness and ate all of it, they would take your picture and put it up on the wall. It kicked my ass, but I still prevailed.

Bank said:

Congrats on owning a legend. Start making a hotsauce.

Nah, I don't intend to ever open it. I took the vial out of the glass container and wear it around my neck.

i like hot food but you guys sound way above me in the whole thing :P I heard that some people think hot food is popular because when eaten, your brain literally thinks your tongue is on fire and thus releases adrenaline and some other stuff into your blood giving you a rush. Can someone confirm this? It certainly sounds plausible

insertwackynamehere said:

I heard that some people think hot food is popular because when eaten, your brain literally thinks your tongue is on fire and thus releases adrenaline and some other stuff into your blood giving you a rush. Can someone confirm this? It certainly sounds plausible

It's actually an endorphin rush (not adrenaline), and it's quite nice.

"Friendly Warning !! If you become ill due to the consumption or if you find that you are experiencing any problems with your lover(s) then under no circumstances are you entitled to blame the Curry Capital or any member of its staff."

HAHAHA

My uncles really into hot sauce. The hotter the better for him. I think he had to have some of his rectum removed from sever hemorrhoids because of it.

I had this hot sauce once...it was really really crazy. Apparently even a little can kill a cow if it eats it. I put a tiny bit on my pinky and had it, and it burned for about half an hour. One guy took half a finger's worth and he was screaming in pain.

I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Crazy Dave's? Something like that.

I don't like hot sauce that hurts like that. that's not fun for me. I like just a bite, you know? :)

-_DLD_- said:

I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Crazy Dave's? Something like that.

Dave's Insanity sauce? It's not that hot, and it tastes like shit.

exp(x) said:

Dave's Insanity sauce? It's not that hot, and it tastes like shit.

That stuff is despicable, when it comes to hotsauce, I usually just stick with the bread and butter (LHS), and none of the outrageously fancy stuff. But, I do enjoy several types of pickled hot peppers such as Pepperincinis : D

mexican restaurants usually have the best hotsauces available. those guys know how to cook, let me tell ya. If there's a good effect to illegal immigration.. :P

What's funny is that if it weren't for my friend from texas showing me all these many mexican restaurants(there's at least 20 near a 5 mile radius from my house!), I would have never even touched spicy food. in fact, he showed me real spicy food from when his mom cooks... god damn she'll make you cry it's so hot but you still want more of it.. :/

btw... paprika+onions+stirfry+hotsauce= instant win

i'm a fan of the chili sauces from nandos (http://www.nandos.co.uk/) ... very good for dumping into a chilli or curry, for example. curry/chilli powder is teh sux. i've also got a small selection of dried/chopped chillis, i have no idea the type because i bought them in a shop where little to nothing had english writing on (by far the best places to get proper ingredients!) and they're great for sprinkling on home-made pizza's for example, quite a sweet heat. i do enjoy making a curry the hardcore from scratch way, but what with the missus being constantly pregnant and subject to heartburn and generally being knackered taking 3 hours just to knock the sauce together seems like a lot of effort lately!

i do like my spicey food quite hot though but have been discovering that really good really hot stuff actually can taste good too, if done properly. which i suppose means spicey as opposed to just hot.

My mom hates hot sauce but I talked her in to growing Habanero's every summer so I can make my own.

I like alot of hot sauces. But, I hate any with vinegar. For me it over powers the flavor of the peppers.