Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slink

Ever dream of playing Doom?

Have you guys ever had any dreams that you were actually playing Doom and/or in the Doom world yourself?

Doom has become part of my subconscious at this point, so it's not too uncommon for me to dream that I'm playing the game. Oddly enough, the levels I seem to be playing on in my dreams are never levels that actually exist, yet they all make use of Doom textures, themes, and monsters. And some of them look pretty cool too.

I more than likely have had a dream where I was playing doom, but 90% of the time I immediately forget what I was dreaming about when I woke up, I just know I was dreaming, so I wouldn't remember it. I can only remember three dreams I have ever had in my entire life. Two nightmares and one from last month.

Slink said:

the levels I seem to be playing on in my dreams are never levels that actually exist, yet they all make use of Doom textures, themes, and monsters. And some of them look pretty cool too.

If I ever had such an dream I would't try to make that map in doombuilder :)
I can't remember having dreams about me playing doom or being in an doom world myself, the minute I wake up I forget about the whole dream.

KennyJC said:

The most memorable one was when an Arch Vile pissed on me.

That was quite insightful.

I dreamt a couple of times about how I can't exit Doom when I'm just about to be killed by a cyberdemon or something

GoatLord said:

I had a dream the Doom guy was fisting a toilet which had vagina instead of a hole in the bowl.

Better hope Grayson doesn't read that one!

Slink said:

Better hope Grayson doesn't read that one!

Haha, I dunno who Grayson is, but even I'M disgusted by that dream! It'd be a cool concept for some perverted album cover though.

Hoo yeah, i recently had one weird doom dream. It involved:
A room made entirely out of water. No breaking of logic here, no.
SS Nazis asking me to keep quiet so they could go to bed.
More stimpacks that you could count.
A constantly teleporting mancubus.
An archvile moving in a zombie-like way and saying "Braaaains..."
And me trying to contact some marine HQ. "YOU TELEPORTED ME INTO A JOKEWAD! WHY?".

That last thing made all of it tie together quite nicely though. O___o

Heh, just last night I dreamed about going through a level that looked like Evilution Map 30. It had the same sky and instant-telefrag "maze" at the beginning, but on the opposite side there was a door guarded by two Revenants. I killed the Revs with my SSG and went through the door, where two Cyberdemons guarded a small chamber with a teleport platform. I think I woke up around the time the Cybs started closing in on me. There was also some stuff about my Science classmates (don't ask me what they had to do with it).

Nautilus said:

I dreamt a couple of times about how I can't exit Doom when I'm just about to be killed by a cyberdemon or something

Oh man! Same here. I only ever had 'Doom Dreams' when I was younger and had just started playing it/it just came out. I would have dreams where I was in the game, there would be too many enemies or an impossible-to-kill cybie or something and I would try to use cheats or exit (ESCAPE!!!) from the game, and it wouldn't work...

it's amazing how that game induced such dreams. Games don't do that to me anymore - I wonder if it isn't solely related to my change in age.

I'm not supposed to be up yet but I went to bed three hours earlier than usual last night. So being up four hours earlier isn't so bad except now I'll never know how my dream would've ended. Napoleon, Stalin, and myself were heading out to destroy the mastermind invasion and had just entered a cartoon sequence. I was fairly into the dream and curious to see where the director would take the events. Napoleon and myself both had miniature squirt guns in the left pocket of our blazers. It's just a shame that I fell out of bed when I did.

Strangely enough, I've had a few of Doom dreams myself over the years. They seem to always have Doom textures and monsters yet I never recognized any of them in the games. I tend to get killed in these dreams and I immediately wake up. I guess Doom has haunted me for all these years and I can't stop playing the game. Hell, some of these dreams even featured a mixture of the old Wolfenstein 3d textures and enemies mixed with Doom's.

I dreamed that i was in walmart...i think that might be hell enough.

But yes...besides that horrible nightmare i have dreamed of dooming.

I've been mapping for over a week straight, as well as playing other guys' maps to get ideas, and I had a dream last night that I shot someone in the head. It was weird. Theres alot more to it than that, but that's what it came down to.

lots... I once was making an uber cool tc when i had dreams of making maps in doom builder so i quit. Another one i dreamt a baron of hell had me in a full nelson and an imp was rippimg out my guts was weird. another one all these ppl in denver became former humans.

Bumped for my latest dream.

Actually, this short dream was had in a 20 minute sleep-in session after my alarm went off. The level seemed to be like something from e4 Ultimate Doom, and there were also some N64 iterations of monsters. I remember placing a tactical missile (scorpion-style) launcher between a window grating to take pot shots at a cyberdemon. He eventually came from an entrance on a lower level, up the stairs where I was waiting with a chainsaw and beheaded it. Strangely, it seemed to have ebony/obsidian style plating on it. Total gore action.

Hey here's an experiment you can try. Perhaps it will only work for you if you're playing at 4 in the morning and havne't gotten much sleep, I don't know. Anyway, after you've been playing Doom for a few hours, try sitting or lying back and closing your eyes. When I did this, random Doom environments began to appear in my head, and I was speeding through them.

Happened again today. I wasn't playing Doom, but not too long after I made my former post I lied down to take a nap that last for about an hour. In this dream I was uploading Doom levels and playing them, and I found myself on this one strange level where I was standing on what appeared to be a huge dock on a seashore. There were numerous platforms off in the distance, from which I could see imps, chaingunners, hell knights, barons, and cacodemons. I was running out of ammo too.