Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

split sector problems

I am currently trying to split a sector and for some reason they stay joined, where one sector(we'll call it "a") seems independent from the other ("b"). when i hoover the mouse pointer over sector "b" it shows both sectors as one. i tryed to figure it out with their "manual", but it gives none of the information i'm looking for. at least not at a humanly understandable level. is this some kind of problem with DB? am i doing something wrong? or is this perhaps the evil work of my sick-minded, demented computer?

i would submit a picture of the map, but i don't know how.

Did you make sure the splitting line is attached at both ends? If it's off even by 1 map unit, it won't split the sector. And unless you are zoomed in, noticing a small gap is difficult.

Or it could be that you're sector references are quite messed up.

If you're running Windows, you can use the prtscreen button on your keyboard and that captures a screenshot of whatever is on the screen. It goes to the clipboard, so you then need to paste it in some program like paint.

i checked for gaps in the linedefs, but i could not find any. however this brings up another related problem. once the sector is complete it seems to want to add one more linedef. how is that fixed?

chopkinsca said:

If you're running Windows, you can use the prtscreen button on your keyboard and that captures a screenshot of whatever is on the screen. It goes to the clipboard, so you then need to paste it in some program like paint.

thanks.

How are you splitting your sectors? Splitting is done by drawing a linedef that splits a sector, but no lines on the path that you draw overlap any existing lines. If you overwrite any sections of a line while drawing, you need to complete the circuit by ending your drawing at the same point you started. I don't know if that explains it.

i use that exact method, i enter sector mode find a vertice to start with and split the sector in a clockwise pattern as suggested by the manual. yes i do overlap some linedefs until i get to where i plan to divide the sector, but to no success. and my computer, as usual, is the only one giving me these problems.

Since pictures are better than words, I thought I'd draw out what I may or may not have been able to explain well. If it doesn't actually apply to you, then I apologize.
Three different ways to split a sector, the last way being the wrong way. Orange is used to point out the drawn lines. In all cases, the original sector was a 4 sided box:

A) draw two different lines. This will split the sector into three seperate sectors. This is the proper way to split a sector.

B)Drawing a fully enclosed sector. This doesn't split the sector, but creates a new sector (the orange outline). The space on either side of the new sector are the same sector. Doing it this way can cause complications later on if you decide to split the sector which appears to be in two different places (the side sector).

C) And this method is the wrong way, which will mess up the sector references.

i've tried to do method A before but end up just creating a new sub sector and re-merging it. IIRC it foo'ed up the sector references and sometimes maybe created a solid linedef instead of a two-sided one. or is there some magic button you have to press to get a line to draw without having to draw a fully enclosed sector?

in related news, is there a way to set the stitch vertices toggle so that instead of toggling ON/OFF it toggles 3 ways: ON (as per configged unit distance), ON ( only stitch when two are placed on top of each other to save having to config the distance to zero when working at small units) , OFF (off)

since i am unable to get the picture past paint, i'll have to continue with words to the best of my ability, unless someone can give me the other half of the solution.

anyway, in response to chopkinsca's last post i have always used option B. on other computers, this has worked for me. however i noticed one thing on my computer (sorry if i'm saying this to late) that there is a window that comes up just after the first one that appears when you load a level. this window tells you the errors of the map. mine gives a long list of errors all related: "linedef __ has length of zero" among other things. i tryed using the error check tool and fixing it through there and i swear it made it worse (the result being very similar to option "C"). i tried redoing the sector, didn't work. i even created a new map but still it did not work. once more i am out of ideas short of hiring a exorcist for the PC.

another thing i probably should have mentioned earlier is that my sectors for this specific map are not perfectly square. they loosly represent the jagged edges of canyon walls.

If your sectors aren't squarish, and you put vertices somewhere in the middle of a linedef, you may not hit the line. As a result the system might not split the linedef, but put another line next to existing one, sometimes causing a tiny overlap.
If that's the case, I would suggest inserting vertices first, in Vertex Mode, to make sure, the lines are splitted correctly.

usually when i insert a new vertice i try to put it on a part of the grid line that is closest to a LineDef and it will automatically snap to the grid if it's close enough.

I solved my previous problem though, with the mysterious extra LineDef.i deleted the folder that contained the default settings, thinking the program would create another one. so now it works fine as far as that goes.

...I know, I don't get it either.

Hm.... strange indeed.
Anyway, always do backup saves ;)