Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anybody here tried ripping the PSX Final Doom SSG sprites (or is there a wad released)?

here's the screenshot

Persionally I find this SSG design much better if you would looked very closely and carefully at the misaligment of the original SSG's barrels below.

They appear to be the same graphic, barring ssome minor rescaling and some palette conversion issues.

You can't really tell what the differences are between the two SSG's by the screenshots you have. The Zdoom screenshot doesn't have the full HUD while the PSX Doom screenshot does.

I'm sorry, but are you people blind? It can't just be because I'm an artist, but I think the differences are quite obvious. The browns from the PC version aren't present, and there's more of a sheen on the barrels.

no, not that "bunch of pixels" at the bottom.

i'm talking about that single pixel on the left barrel of the gun.

I'm with Weasel on this one, it looks like a compressed version of the SSG. That being said, it wouldn't be heard to "recreate" the look of the PSX SSG.

GoatLord said:

I'm sorry, but are you people blind? It can't just be because I'm an artist, but I think the differences are quite obvious. The browns from the PC version aren't present, and there's more of a sheen on the barrels.

The PC shotgun is much better.

RTC_Marine said:

It could be a glitch, but the thumb should be around there anyway. Look at the standard Shotgun, or also at the SSG's reload sequence. To assuage that so dire annoyance, consider it the tip of the glove's thumb.

The SSG does seem to have a serious and even hilarious issue, though... the marine has two left arms/hands!!!1

myk said:

It could be a glitch, but the thumb should be around there anyway. Look at the standard Shotgun, or also at the SSG's reload sequence. To assuage that so dire annoyance, consider it the tip of the glove's thumb.

The SSG does seem to have a serious and even hilarious issue, though... the marine has two left arms/hands!!!1

ok

another issue is the center of the screen thing for weapons, he must be holding it up against his throat to get that view of it.

RTC_Marine said:
another issue is the center of the screen thing for weapons, he must be holding it up against his throat to get that view of it.

That's irrelevant; for all we know the marine's view is a camera over his head, on his helmet. Or why does he keep looking when he's dead? Or at least it's not as silly as in other games where the character looks at the side of the gun while firing (unless the excuse again is some camera thingy, this time on the left side of the head, or the shoulder.)

The hand thing is truly an error, though. Beats me how in all this time I hadn't noted he was using one hand to do two things at once.

RTC_Marine said:

Which is actually pretty close to what most people do when firing a shotgun. They raise it to their shoulder then lower and tilt their head to look right down the barrel. It looks pretty well centred from that viewpoint.

Have you ever tried holding a gun in that ridiculous side view that most modern FPS games and gamers seem to think is realistic? It isn't. It's a bloody stupid position that would be unstable, dangerous and you would be highly unlikely to hit anything you wanted to.

Mind you, it's hard to hit anything if you are firing and moving at the same time anyway - let alone running at 90mph across a moon that is not big enough to have any significant gravity, much less hold on to an atmosphere, whilst hellspawn teleport in from another dimension and get toasted by a single soldier who can recover from injuries by going from death's door to full health in a fraction of a second. Because Doom needs to be realistic. ;)

Aren't most camera views in FPS from the chest? I'm pretty sure atleast. If you vid record from the chest when firing a gun it actually gives the gun-off-to-the-side FPS look, which would make sense with the cam in the chest in-game. Or something like that.

My what a popular topic this is becoming :p

Enjay said:
Have you ever tried holding a gun in that ridiculous side view that most modern FPS games and gamers seem to think is realistic? It isn't. It's a bloody stupid position that would be unstable, dangerous and you would be highly unlikely to hit anything you wanted to.

I'd say the side view became popular because the artists said "bwaah, I made that cool graphic/model and all they'll see is a bit of the top?!" So they made the side-view to see more of the weapon, from the side which is considered more interesting (than the top) and placing it where you could place more of it without obstructing the central part of the screen that the player is usually looking at while playing.

If a game wanted to be realistic the weapon would appear in certain positions depending on the weapon type while moving, generally on the side and waving more or less, and only the front tip usually, or only occasionally if a pistol, and then centered if you're firing, unless they were to include two firing modes, one for aiming carefully (centered, closer to face) and another for broader bursts (lower down, perhaps a bit to the main hand side, but straightened, not slanted to a side). And also you'd have to lift the gun to attack, which would cost a bit of time depending on the weapon, or could otherwise be allowed to move slower on "aiming mode".

RTC_Marine said:

no, not that "bunch of pixels" at the bottom.

Wow you are bitching about ONE pixel...

RTC_Marine said:

the most annoying thing about the d2 ssg is that brown pixel on the left side of the graphic.

OMG that looks so terrible I refuse to play Doom 2 until it is fixed.

Remind me again when one stands around looking at each pixel of the SSG in a Doom game.

Nightmare Doom said:

Has anybody here tried ripping the PSX Final Doom SSG sprites (or is there a wad released)?

here's the screenshot

http://www.games.net/screens/103834/47368-7-2.jpg

Persionally I find this SSG design much better if you would looked very closely at the misaligment of the original SSG's barrels.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a4/Mannak/DOOM0001.png

Based on that screenshot, the PSX version does appear to use a different/modified sprite, but it's hard to know for sure with a resized JPG image.

If someone could find a BMP, GIF, or PNG image, that's in the original screen resolution, it would be easier to tell.

[Slightly off-topic] Does anyone know what the screen resolution of PSX Doom is?

Doom_user said:

[Slightly off-topic] Does anyone know what the screen resolution of PSX Doom is?

That depends on whether its PAL or NTSC :P

myk said:

I guess this isn't too relevant; I'm assuming normally one would use the trigger hand to add the shells, and that might be true, but whatever, the marine is loading the weapon extremely fast and perhaps he opens it, lets go of the barrel, stuffs his hand in his pocket for shells, slaps the shells in and then puts his hand under the barrel again, all real quick.

He would have trashed Wyatt Earp anyday!

myk said:

I guess this isn't too relevant; I'm assuming normally one would use the trigger hand to add the shells, and that might be true, but whatever, the marine is loading the weapon extremely fast and perhaps he opens it, lets go of the barrel, stuffs his hand in his pocket for shells, slaps the shells in and then puts his hand under the barrel again, all real quick.

He would have trashed Wyatt Earp anyday!

noticing how fast leonard from redneck rampage loads the shotgun, he just opens it and shells go flying in and out.
in other words, the marine doesn't stand much of a chance against him

Doom_user said:

-- huge image --
In GL ports that 1 pixel really stands out.

Jesus, not nearly as much as that eyesore-inducing lighting.

The differences are pretty clear. I've always preferred the PSX version, though the PC version is good in its own right. The primary differences of teh PSX version would be the color scale, more slender barrels and some pock/wear marks on the barrels.

myk said:

That's irrelevant; for all we know the marine's view is a camera over his head, on his helmet.

If the camera view is from over doomguy's head, then he's even shorter than we thought! D: