Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Dweller

Doom Legacy problems

I am having several problems with doom legacy, but i will go one at a time because along the way i might find out the solutions to all of my problems with one answer, without making myself sound like a babbling fool

anyway, when i go to launch legacy ( I'm currently using v1.42, if that helps) i get a window that says "A WAD file cannot found". i click OK and antother window pops up say i have Legacy.dat 0.0 but i need 1.45. however, i looked for the file and opened it in Wordpad and it said in the first line that it is v1.42.

some help would be greatly appretiated.

EDIT: My bad, it said i need legacy.dat v1.42, but still, it insists that i have the wrong version.

I had the same problem and don't know the reason.
I just use legacy from the commad line just like most other source ports.

Greetings
Funduke

It often helps to place Legacy, along with a copy of your IWAD(s), in a single folder, keeping them seperate from other ports. Also, double check that everything is configured correctly under the various launcher menus.

Is there a master .wad file in the same folder as Legacy? Although you're suppost to be able to set a path for the master wad, it doesn't seem to work unless it's in the Legacy directory with the program.

EDIT:
Aaarggh! DooMAD knicked my answer!

first of all, are the iwads .exe or .wad files?

second of all, i put the main doom wads (Doom 1, 2, and final) in the same folder as legacy and it can't find them unless it is looking elsewhere. where did you put your iwads? i'm probably putting them in the wrong section of the doom legacy folder (the main layer).

Addressing the first: the IWADs are .wad files. Clear as crystal.

Addressing the second: I see no reason why it shouldnt find the IWADs so long as they're in the same directory as legacy's exe. I personally keep my IWADs in another directory and, using the -iwad parameter, it finds them just fine.

OK, so you've got the iwads in the same folder as legacy.exe and launcher.exe (together with all the other stuff from the zip), and want to use the launcher rather than starting from a command line?

Run legacy.exe, and then exit. Then run launcher.exe. Does it take you immediately to "game mode"?
* If so, select the exe and the iwads, making sure you are pointing it to the copies that are in the same folder as legacy.exe.
* Otherwise, click on the game mode button. Is it listing the iwads? Are they the copies that are in the same folder as legacy.exe? If not, change it so that it is listing the copies in this folder. It is listing legacy.exe? Same deal if it isn't the copy/version in this folder.

It should then work OK. Remember to reconfigure things to your liking (renderer, control set-up, resolution, etc.).

BTW, I have just gone through this process myself with a new installation (of 1.42) in a separate folder, so I don't think I've left out any vital steps.

OK, when you open legacy.exe does it usually say "Main WAD file not found"

when i go to launch the program through the launcher it says "response file doomargs.tmp not found" although it is in the same folder as everything else.

No. The iwads (such as doom2.wad) are in the same folder as legacy.exe, so it finds them, and starts up.

The reason for running legacy.exe (and immediately exiting) is to create doomargs.tmp.

If everything is where it should be, then try putting everything in a simple folder, such as c:\legacy or c:\leg142 - I suggest this because it might be getting fouled up by long folder names with spaces and stuff in them. I don't know if that would definitely cause a problem though, since I never use them myself.

still have yet to figure out my problem. i have tried everything said here. it seems there is no other choice than to delete it from the hard drive completely and reinstall it.