Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Was the Doom movie good?

man, there are no barons in doom 3 :(
an alternative: the tank sarge sabaoth commander from doom 3. How do you see that? silly?

I liked it... It could have been better (more guns and monsters, etc), but for the time it was alright, shit, I seen it four times so it could not have been that bad.

baronofhell said:

I think they could've squeezed an archvile in there, resurrectings some imps and barons.

No chance, dude. If the hellknights couldn't flame a single ball of fire, how could then an archie resurrect anyone?

The reason I suggested that was because the Archvile is very similar in appearance to the imps and knights. He would've fit in pretty good, and he doesn't have to resurrect the demons exactly like he did in the game. To fit with the movie, maybe he could run up on a dead demon and stick his tongue deep into the corpse's neck or whatever and resurrect them that way. Or he can do it as he did in game, just without the flame effects.

fraggle said:

It was absolutely terrible and at the same time thoroughly enjoyable.

Much like the Doom Comic, then. :)

I saw the DVD in ASDA's yesturday, don't know if I'll buy it. Probabally not.

Ebon said:
No chance, dude. If the hellknights couldn't flame a single ball of fire, how could then an archie resurrect anyone?

Actually, resurrection could have worked out well with the "genetic" theme (fireballs, on the other hand, did not fit in.)

Ebon said:

man, there are no barons in doom 3 :(
an alternative: the tank sarge sabaoth commander from doom 3. How do you see that? silly?

I know.

Although i still play it from time to time i'm not a big fan of Doom 3. I was kinda hoping the movie would've been based on the original doom or maybe the first Doom novel.

That being said it was still an "OK" movie that i kinda enjoyed.

I'm still up for making a doom fan movie some day. Though we'd need some good cgi models or good costumes (as I'm a cheap skate I don't think costumes will fly.) Of course a fan movie would pretty much mean it would be all cgi rendered including the environments and me and my friends playing with guns made out of duct tape and card board shooting energy beams at cg rendered demons. It'd be all shot in front of a green screen.

Right now though without the models (currently too busy working on a star wars fan film to make them) its not gonna go anywhere, but if anyone is up for it I prefer 3d studio max models.. :)

That and we'd need a script.

I'd also thought of doing a flash style doom movie using only the sprites, but I'd still need a script.

Although i still play it from time to time i'm not a big fan of Doom 3. I was kinda hoping the movie would've been based on the original doom or maybe the first Doom novel.

Yep, that's pretty much what I was thinking from the moment I heard a Doom movie was in production. I sort of dislike the whole look of D3 because it seems like it's trying too hard to be Alien and Resident Evil and not enough to be just Doom itself. I would have wanted the Doom movie to have been based on the first Doom novel as well, because that book at least knew not to take itself too seriously (really, would we actually want a Doom movie to attempt to provide a plausible scientific explaination, or just to accept it's own absurd premises and get down to business?), and it followed the game pretty closely. It was about as well-done as that sort of thing could have been. It was the only Doom story that would have been worth filming, IMHO.

As for the Doom movie that was made? I thought it was horrible as science fiction, as a video game adaptation, and as film in general. It wasn't any of the actors' faults, though. The script writer should have been fired long ago. When I watched the special "making of" DVD features, I was reminded of Gene Siskel's old acid test for determining the quality of a film: "Is the movie more interesting than a documentary of the same actors having lunch?" All of the actors were much more interesting in the behind-the-scenes stuff than they were in the movie.

Meh, I still like it.

I still also hate a lot of things in it, and some of the unrated scenes they shaved off (like the lady writing SUFFER in blood from her own stump) for time really helped to make it more a "DOOM" film in my eyes.

Sadly, no one will ever see their dream DOOM film come to life. It's like the star wars prequels, expectations are too high. That being said, this 'attempt' was much better than it COULD have turned out (Uwe Boll anyone?)

Speaking of the DOOM movie... Does anyone have that old avi from back in the day called "doommovie.avi" or whatever? It was basically just the titles then "RIP & TEAR!" with a Korn guitar riff and the marine blasting a caco demon.

That vid always tickled me pink.

The Rock stars as the main character. Does that tell you how bad the movie is? You know, the guy who has never gotten a good review.

Yeah, it's bad

Doom does not have much in the way of an actual plot, but it IS about teleportation experiments going wrong and a subsequent invasion by demons from hell. But even that the scriptwriter managed to screw up, switching it to a Resident Evil-style plot where everything is blamed on mutations caused by some additional unnatural chromosome. So, as far as I'm concerned it's not a movie about Doom. The settings they used is the only thing that is resembling Doom(3), but hey, so does Alien to some extent.

As a movie, the first 70% is pretty dull and does not really hold one's interest. Things start to look up during the first prolonged monster fights, and the "FPS sequence" is very nice to watch. Plotwise, the distinction that the extra chromosome makes between "good" and "evil" persons is a nice find, and it has the final showdown making sense. Still, the explanation of Man's presence on Mars is not given and the discovery of ancient ruins on Mars is presented as matter-of-fact, almost inconsequential, to humankind.

Overall, the nice bits in this movie are still overshadowed by the rest, and I wouldn't really want to endure that part again just to see the nice bits again.

Rented it on DVD. The GF indulged me because I watched "Roman Holiday" and "Gone With The Wind" with her before. And why do girls think that Scarlet is such a heroine when in fact she's quite the spoiled manipulative bitch? Hum.

Craigs: Get it through your HEAD. The Rock IS NOT the main character. Karl Urban is the Doomguy. The Rock is Sarge.

As for the movies suckability. It would have been much more appreciated by me if they had called it something else and at most pointed out that they had been inspired by Doom when they made it. But as a doom movie it's a load of crap.

The movie was quite alright but not worth the title Doom.
It's too bad it turned out that way because it's now part of the Doom world.

I hope they don't ruin Quake that way.

Azriel said:
I hope they don't ruin Quake that way.

You can't ruin something that is already broken.

Mordeth said:

You can't ruin something that is already broken.

Explain how.

And your point is...

An image says more than 1000 words but this image tells me nothing, sorry.

Ralphis said:

Sorry moron but the Rock is a pretty good actor

If he's such a good actor, then why did he do such a poor job in this movie? his movements and facial expressions were rather exaggerated, and he sometimes changed the tone of his voice in the middle of sentences.
I'll admit, he did ok in the Scorpion King, but it seems like he just doesn't care about how good his acting it.

Azriel said:

And your point is...

An image says more than 1000 words but this image tells me nothing, sorry.

Tsk...Newbs.

I'm with you, Mord!

I am not a newbie. Just an average gamer who knows quite some stuff but not everything.

Asides from the "mommy? daddy!?" B.S. I thought the movie was fully enjoyable. Cheesy in some spots, yes, but I still love it, and I'm an avid Doom nut :)

Azriel said:

I am not a newbie. Just an average gamer who knows quite some stuff but not everything.

QS, which stands for "Quake Sucks", was an old 'DOOM clan' from back in the days when all the DOOM news sites were run by individuals, FuncE was still the shit, and the ADA was working on STRAIN...Which, I have to add, is my favorite DOOM TC of all time.