Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FinnTheFickle

WADs based on Doom Bible

Yeah, so, I'm sorta getting back into Doom after having not played it since about, oh, 2001 or thereabouts. This is partly from going to this site on a whim and reading the early design ideas from the Doom Bible, and thinking 'damn, that would have been a really neat game.'

So my question is, have there been any WADs, finished or unfinished, that've tried to recreate the Doom Bible's vision for the game? I've played original Doom with Captain Red's 'Doom With Bits On' weapons mod, which breathed a whole new life into the game if you ask me. Also, I know there are bunches of mods that have converted the art and map work from the beta. But has anyone tried to recreate the gameplay ideas that the Bible talked about? (Well, besides Doom 3...)

If this is answered somewhere obvious, I'm sorry. Like I said, just getting back into Doom after a long time away from it.

There's a rule in DOOM modding, everytime a project start with the ambition of recreating the DOOM Bible it will turn into something more or less diferent, no exceptions so far in the diferent attempts.
-Teitenga
-Barista (I didn't know it was based in the DOOM Bible)
-XDOOM
-A project started by Superloud or something, in wich Archvile64, me, and others where involved, it was ruined by the stupidity of the project leader (i.e. in the final map instead of the Bruiser Brothers he placed some cacodemons in a teleport maze, the first map started with like 10 or more pinkies right behind you and only your 50 bullet pistol to protect you, and many many things like that)
-A project of mine that I started after leaving the previews (never finished but turned into something else too)
-The initial DOOM stages
-And probably more that I can't remember or not know about.

The reason probably is because Tom Hall's ideas while interesting at the first glance, are very hard, boring, and tedious to implement, while at the same time cheasy. It isn't as easy as one may imagine to follow his "instructions" each person interpret his plans in a diferent way, there are many vague things that can confuse you (I think even Tom himself droped many of his ideas on his maps as you can't see much of what's writen in the Bible).
It was a very good thing from id to abandon this design replacing it with something far more dinamic and with much more replay value, both for the main game and for mods.

First map of Nimrod started out as being based on the Doom bible. But most of that got lost along the way iirc.

Yeah, I realize that there were good reasons for Doom coming out the way it did. The fact that people are still playing it 12 years later does tend to back up id's judgement there. Still, it's a nice 'what if.'

Anyway,thanks for the shopping list. Several of these wads I've already played, a few of 'em I haven't. Gonna go check out Barista now.

Vegeta said:

-A project started by Superloud or something, in wich Archvile64, me, and others where involved, it was ruined by the stupidity of the project leader (i.e. in the final map instead of the Bruiser Brothers he placed some cacodemons in a teleport maze, the first map started with like 10 or more pinkies right behind you and only your 50 bullet pistol to protect you, and many many things like that)

Hahaha, yeah. Long time ago. I was a noob, forgive me =[

I'm a horrible perfectionist now; I've been working on one map for almost a year...at this rate it'll see a release in fourth-quarter 2079.

- the artist formerly known as superloud4

gargoylol said:

huntbgin.wad and darkwar.wad are sort of based on it.

nice try

gargoylol said:

huntbgin.wad and darkwar.wad are sort of based on it.

Yep, already noticed all the stuff from the DB that went into ROTT. And yeah, nice try :P

But now you've got me wanting to track down that old chestnut. Jeez. Nostalgia knows no limits.

Dunno if it'd be worth... If I made E1m1: Hangar look like in the Bible, then it'd just be like a real hangar. Central hall with cranes, crates, catwalks and roundabout control cabins and depots. Dull. Better off to Doom 3. Let's hope some enthusiast makes the Doom Bible for Doom 3.

WEIRD notice: How come leileilol showed up as gargoylol in your quotes? huh? 8-/