Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Galaxy_Stranger

Required lumps

What is required to create a stand-aone IWAD? I've tried several things - even removing many lumps from the FreeDoom.wad until there was only about 10 lumps left. I was obviously missing something...;-p

Galaxy_Stranger said:

What is required to create a stand-aone IWAD? I've tried several things - even removing many lumps from the FreeDoom.wad until there was only about 10 lumps left. I was obviously missing something...;-p

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you try rephrasing?

Well, in order to get Doom, (I'm using ZDoom and Skulltag), to recognize a wad as an IWAD with the -iwad switch, you can't just create a .wad and save it as an IWAD. There are other lumps that are required, otherwise you get an error message.

I couldn't find out just what lumps are required, so I took the FreeDoom .wad and deleted everything - and it wouldn't recognize it as an IWAD. So now, I'm left with deleting lumps nearly one at a time in order to find out what shouldn't be removed.

Is there a list of required lumps somewhere, or a set of instructions?

Not done. ZDoom requires certain lumps to exist. The 'I' is not among the required data, btw.

ZDoom requires MAP01 to identify an IWAD as Doom 2 but to distinguish it from Hexen and Strife it must not contain lumps called TITLE, MAP60, MAP33 and ENDSTRF.

TNT.wad is identified by REDTNT2 and Plutonia.wad by CAMO1.

For Doom1 (full version) it requires E1M1, all of E2Mx and E3Mx, DPHOOF, BFGGA0, HEADA1, CYBRA1 and SPIDA1D1.

Other lumps that an IWAD must contain:

PLAYPAL, COLORMAP
TEXTURE1, PNAMES

various title/credit/help screens (TITLEPIC etc)
certain sounds (DSPISTOL, DSSWTCHX etc)
menu graphics
title/intermission music
status bar graphics (STxxxxx)

probably lots more that I haven't said. What's so bad about using FreeDoom as-is?

Ajapted said:

Other lumps that an IWAD must contain:

PLAYPAL, COLORMAP
TEXTURE1, PNAMES

various title/credit/help screens (TITLEPIC etc)
certain sounds (DSPISTOL, DSSWTCHX etc)
menu graphics
title/intermission music
status bar graphics (STxxxxx)

probably lots more that I haven't said. What's so bad about using FreeDoom as-is?

Although they must only contain these lumps to actually run the game; the file will still be recognized as an IWAD for a certain game mode even if these are missing. It'll just bomb out during R_Init :)

Eternity uses the following algorithm to determine what IWAD it's dealing with:

If the file contains ADVISOR, TINTTAB, and SNDCURVE:
* If it contains nine E4M* maps and the EXTENDED lump, it is Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
* If it contains 18 E2M* and E3M* maps, it is Heretic Registered
* Else it's Heretic Shareware
Else:
* If it contains 30 or more MAPxy maps:
* * If it contains 4 or more CAV* lumps, it is TNT
* * Else if it contains 8 or more MC* lumps, it is Plutonia
* * Else it is Doom 2 Registered
* * * If MAP31 and MAP32 are missing, it is the German version
* Else if it contains nine or more E4M* lumps, it is Ultimate Doom
* Else if it contains 18 or more E2M* and E3M* lumps, it is Doom Registered
* Else it is Doom Shareware

I have removed the extra "fake registered version" check that looked for such things as the Cyberdemon sprite and Cacodemon sounds because it was always useless anyway; it was performed after -file, and so the user could have already added everything necessary themselves. It also messed with adding new game modes.

Failure of the IWAD to fall into one or more of these catagories causes the game to go into "indetermined" game mode, which currently acts like Doom Registered. It is highly unlikely that the game will work in indetermined mode.