Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Csonicgo

WADs centred around pacifist (cross-fire) mode of play

I was watching my cousin play doom, and I noticed he hadn't fired, was godmoding, yet had kills. I asked him what he was doing, and he said "I'm letting the monsters do the job." after a few hours of us competing for who could get the most kills on map10, It got me thinking... How about such a play mode or set of maps that deal completely on infighting to beat? Infighting is nothing new, but I was wondering if there other wads out there centring around this method of play. I know nuts.wad would be a prime contender.

Well, this is definitely nothing new.

Go to Compet-N, for example, and you'll find hundreds of "Pacifist" speedruns. Then there was a very long demo of someone killing all monsters in one of the ID maps without firing a single shot (using crushers or something like that to kill the last monsters - Sorry, can't remember who it was)

I don't know of any wads centered around this, though. I wouldn't count wads like nuts. It's more of a joke. (Speaking about which, creating a huge room and filling it with thousands of hitscan human-monsters is funny. 90% of them die in the first 5 seconds.)

I know the style of play is not new at ALL, but a map idea may be. Then again, the doom community is so huge there has probably been an episode set centred around it. :P

yes, pacifist play is amazing to me, and I'm trying to hone my skills on it. It truly is fun.

Now that I think of it, there was a mapset that tauted the "inconsistencies" of the doom AI, and showed its flaws, and you fired no shots at all; you just watched the destruction.

Delvin said:
Then there was a very long demo of someone killing all monsters in one of the ID maps without firing a single shot (using crushers or something like that to kill the last monsters - Sorry, can't remember who it was)

You might be thinking of my E2M2 UV hypocritical pacifist max in 51:38. :-)

A very casual (and very unprepared) performance by me, but apparently some people found it enjoyable. In retrospect, it is kind of unique, I guess.

One WAD that is centered around hypocritical pacifist, i.e. not killing the monsters directly (but rather telefragging them or activating crushers, etc.) is Cyberdreams. Recommended.

I think there was a Cyberdreams 2 being made once, dunno what happened to it though. I remember in Eternal doom there was a level where you teleported around various "rooms" with lowering walls, some had cyberdemons in, if you got it right you'd telefrag them, if you got it wrong the cyber would teleport "outside" and the walls of the room you are in lower so it can get you