Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Onthedot

How do you play?

Well I'm just curious.

I am more of a tactical person. I like to open the door and then back up and see what happens. if nothing I slowly peer around the corner. I like to see what I'm up against. And I'm ridiculously patient when it comes to any type of hunting. so, what are you? are you the "Run in guns blazing" type. Do you rush the game or try finding every secret. how do you play?

I play differently depending on my mood. Usually I'm pretty careless about dodging (SP and Co-Op btw), but occasionally I try and get hit as little as possible.
Working on my playing style is something I'd like to do, because right now I'd say it sucks.

Yeah, I'm usually less concerned about "perfection" unless it's a truly grueling map that offers you no opportunities to replentish your health (like E4M1), but I usually try to find all the secrets and kill everything unless I'm really getting my ass kicked. Then I just try to make it out alive.

I pretty much just speedrun Knee-Deep in the Dead over and over. Sometimes I dress up and groom nicely for the occasion.

I've changed my playstyle from hiding-behind-the-crate to killing-with-the-guns-until-the-walls-are-red.

I favor the chainsaw and the SSG = lots'a close combat. I don't really play tactical, unless i need to. Shooting just about everything that moved worked for me when i was 5, and it still works. =D

I don't usually play very carefully, that's what savegames are for ;)

I'm a compulsive ammo hoarder and I'm pretty good at dodging monsters' attacks, so I often just play with the monsters, weaving between them, trying to provoke infighting. Of course, reckless shooting can be fun too, if the mood hits me. Maybe that's one of the reasons I like HR-style levels: I can more easily relax my ammo conserving habits and just go all out, guns blazing.

on wads that expect you to kill every 50 archviles in every level with a pistol i just fuck it with iddqd and idfa

I hear you- those maps are retarded. pistol start omg a bunch of barons at the start, like I'm just gonna run.. thank god for ZDOOM, I can just mdk the bastards.

(off topic: damnit, my avatar konked and I just noticed. I need to get better hosting. maybe I can bribe cheapy...)

Carefully when I’m not cheating, and running pacifist when god.

Unless I'm playing seriously (whatever that means) there is an inverse relationship between my health and the care I take when playing. The healthier I am, the less careful and vice versa.

When I get down to single health figures, I can play carefully for ages without taking a single point of damage. Give me 200% health and I'll blaze into a room without a care and whatever is beyond the door will chew my health down in a matter of seconds. It's not a deliberate ploy. It's just what I find myself doing without thinking about it.

I don't have a specific playing style, in dm or coop. I try to vary things up to keep my opponent guessing. And i change in coop depending on the map.

I'm a combination of both Tactical Stealth Action-ish and Rambo-ish. Sometimes, I try to peek around corners and sneak by enemies and go for silent kills (that is if I'm using weapon mods that allow me to). But most of the times, I just charge in and shoot up the place, killing anything that gets in my way.

I do what's necessary; initially when I'm not aware of the map I play more carefully. If I die, I restart from scratch (unless the map stinks and I've no other reason to play through). If I play it over once I'm familiar with it (usually when it's good), I start getting more aggressive. It also depends on the level; if it's easy you can start blazing through initially, or if it's really hard, one might have to be cautious even after knowing one's bearings.

If I merely want to see the design and don't care to play it, I can use the nomonsters command, skill 0, or a "zombie" DeHackEd patch. But that's rare; what's a map without really playing it? Rather like buying a book and merely looking at the cover and perhaps a few pages to see the font, like making food just to smell it, or like going on vacations and staying at the hotel.

I play Doom like I make with a woman. Hard, Fast, and I jam my marine through the corridor screaming.

Let me correct your sentance for you.
"I play Doom like I make love to a man; hard and fast. While jaming my marine through the corridor"

I don't get it. Was it some sort of bigoted insult attempt?

He's casting aspersions on Technician's sexuality. It wasn't very funny.

A 'you're a virgin, aren't you?' line of questioning might have been more amusing, but we'll never know now, will we?

It depends on the level. If it's a cramped indoor area, I usually like to cap everyone I can, and leave nothing alive, just to be safe. When in outdoor areas, I love to frantically run around, dodging projectiles and trying to lure enemies into crossfires (which actually becomes necessary in levels where ammo is scarce and there's little room for inaccuracy). I also greatly enjoy berserking enemies if there's not too many of them in a single area (revenants being my favorite). Some levels though, such as Dues Volt, are so painstakingly long and difficult that I really just try to play it as carefully as possible and do quite a bit of hding and dodging. Those levels tend to have a nice balance between charging head-first with all guns blazing, frantically bouncing around trying to avoid getting killed, and watching in amazement as enemies slay one another.

I guess I play tactically, though like Tango said it depends on my mood. It also, of course, depends on the wad. Some wads encourage more aggressive behaviour, and some more defensive tactical play. Usually I don't bother with luring monsters into in-fights or near barrels unless it's many of the bigger ones. Like Enjay said, if I'm low on health I go into my shell and really tighten up, my speed drops loads but I'm very cautious. Sometimes though, that can do more harm than good.

I try to use the favoured weapon, i.e. if there are lots of sergeants, I'll take up with the shotgun, lots of chaingunners, I'll use the chaingun and so one.

I tend to hoard rockets and plasma, to the extent that I have gone through some megawads without using them at all until the later maps, and not using the plasma at all in favour of keeping ammo rounded up to 40 for the BFG.

I also have a bit of OCD when it comes to picking up every item in a map, especially dropped weapons.

I only use the arrow keys, run and shoot (oh and "door open" when needed), not even strafing, so i tend to run backwards and constantly weave around corners to dodge fire, or charge straight at enemies on high ledges so thier shots go over my head (usually catching myself doing the infamous "ducking in your seat" thing too). When entering rooms or corridors i suspect will be populated i tend to do the "cut the pie" manouvre and blast enemies one by one, or lure them out one by one. I also often try and set up infights when it really is not nessicary, like when 3 troopers are attacking me, if i can get them to kill each other and only leave one i try and let them. Oh and on ports where blood splashes on the walls i will sacrifice health to let an enemy wander near a wall before blasting them. And on any ledge i do the same so i can shoot them off the edge (sometimes filling in for the scream they should be making as they go down)

I play the same way as my father. I'll usually use duck-and-cover tactics. I'll take cover behind a crate, wall, etc. and peek out and blast the enemy, then move back into safety. You'd be surprised how well this works with archviles. I'll use more conventional Doom tactics though when there aren't any hit-scan enemies around though.

Never cheat. Unless testing I then use IDCLIP.
IDCLEV at begining of each level for a pistol start. TNT was a bit too easy in UV just playing through keeping weapons. Momento Mori I found alot more fun and challenging when I pistol start each level.

Fighting more than one monster in a room I position myself to line them up. So now monster in front protects me from shots of the monster in back, also might cause infighting. Doing this also kinda saves ammo since stray or missed shots will hit monster in back.

Always kill zombies first or keep another monster between you and them. You cant really dodge thier shots, cant see bullets.

Map 16 of Doom 2 is pretty fun with pistol start... if you know the secrets.

Most times with shotgun (simple/double/anything), I even enjoy killing shooting down bigger monsters this way, shooting/strafing elegantly, they don't hit a shit out of me! Barons, Cacodemons, etc. to kill them slowly slowly. I don't like using weapons of mass destruction on them. But this have changed in some newer WADs I've played, because it would take the whole day to clean huge hordes of monsters this way. I used to do it very frequently in the past and the clip/rocket/cell ammo where always full =)

I enjoy sliding carefully in a dark and small room with crates and stuff, imps hiding behind and taking out one after the other with my regular shotgun. Teh fun! =)