Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How often do you save?

After reading this thread I stopped saving completely unless I am closing the program.

I find it alot funner trying not to die and being careful. Saving before every big fight lets you fight more reckless because you can just reload. Takes better strategy to make it through the hard maps.
I found I stay alive alot more, since I quit saving.

I save in two instances.
1) I get the impending feeling of a trap getting nearer.
2) I survive said obvious trap and do not wish to repeat it.

abysmal said:

After reading this thread I stopped saving completely unless I am closing the program.

I find it alot funner trying not to die and being careful. Saving before every big fight lets you fight more reckless because you can just reload. Takes better strategy to make it through the hard maps.
I found I stay alive alot more, since I quit saving.

Yeah, but don't you find it kind of boring trying to go through the ENTIRE level again just because you died near the very end? That sounds like it'd get kind of boring.

Well if I have to restart map I will know were all the traps are and what weapons are waiting.
It also depends on what map too. I havent started av.wad single player yet but I know map20 will take quite awhile, and a pistol start if almost beaten would be very annoying. Drown in Blood is almost impossible without saving, I think. All the original Iwads very possible, well I havent done Plutonia yet.

Check point systems? You must mean Auto-save. I turn that off.
In Strife I save before I talk to anyone important, just so I can see what they say. I like picking the wrong thing to say just to see what they do.

abysmal said:

I like picking the wrong thing to say just to see what they do.

Well it's always 3 things that can happen:

1. They raise the alarm and you're fucked.
2. The storyline continues on.
3. You just go away.

Real marines don't save.
Stupidity and manhood collide.

Problem with not saving is some maps have a tendancy to be either near impossible or for example, a level that has a pit below that you believe might enclose some sort of secret, you jump down, poof you're trapped for all eternity.

Fusion said:
Problem with not saving is some maps have a tendancy to be either near impossible

More so if you always save and don't practice getting better enough. If it seems hard you just try again. Naturally, very hard maps are made to be played over. No one will survive through a map packed with monsters strategically placed to give you hell. And if it seems frustrating, one should use difficulty settings, if available, or try less harsh maps till skills rise somewhat. One could also practice with saves or even cheats (or hacks), but then if one wants to tackle maps effectively, the purpose should be the practice and not merely "getting through".

or for example, a level that has a pit below that you believe might enclose some sort of secret, you jump down, poof you're trapped for all eternity.

Maybe if a dominatrix in black leather with a nasty whip is behind you, forcing you to stay there, perhaps having tied you to your chair with a thin cord. Otherwise you simply quit and start over (or IDCLIP out).

Sure, you can save as well, maybe the first "checking the map out" time, but that's certainly not necessary nor necessarily more fun than just trying it from scratch again (where you see the encounters and map events all directly related to each other as you play). A map completion that's a tapestry of partly forgotten saves and failures isn't that much fun, and doesn't give a good perspective of a map's makeup (playwise).

You know, the ultimate solution for the compulsive saver is always to record while playing. This effectively gives you a save every gametic (since you can "rerecord" from any point, and there shouldn't be any danger of a corrupted save either), without you needing to break up the flow by actually saving every so often. You'll probably end up very rarely restoring in this way, but you'll know it's there as a safety-net just in case something absurd happens half an hour into a complex and difficult map.

Though personally, I prefer not to play with a safety-net. It leads to a better gameplay experience (heart pumping during the final battle, etc.), and if a map is worth playing at all, then it is surely worth replaying from scratch too - this is also an opportunity to try out alternate strategies that may have occurred to you while playing it the first time.

Grazza said:
You know, the ultimate solution for the compulsive saver is always to record while playing. This effectively gives you a save every gametic (since you can "rerecord" from any point, and there shouldn't be any danger of a corrupted save either), without you needing to break up the flow by actually saving every so often. You'll probably end up very rarely restoring in this way, but you'll know it's there as a safety-net just in case something absurd happens half an hour in to a complex and difficult map.

And saving (plus some cheats) is akin to recording TAS demos, while playing without saves or cheats is akin to recording standard demos.

Fusion said:

some maps have a tendancy to be either near impossible or for example, a level that has a pit below that you believe might enclose some sort of secret, you jump down, poof you're trapped for all eternity.

I think 98% of the time I fall somewhere I cant get out of, its lava or slime so I am dead anyway. I really cant even remembering that happen...yet

After watching enough demos and reading these forums, I found I have been playing alot better.
I wondered how the hell some people can just run through a map killing everything and not get killed once. Watching enough demos will help anyone get good enough to try never saving.

Pistol start a few times on a smaller or midsize map really is not that bad. Where it could take 25-30 minutes to beat a map now only takes 4-6 minutes after playing it over a few times.
I have 30+ megawads and 2000+ single maps, so I dont mind playing a map a few times. I will probably never see it again.

Always find some place to take cover. never save and assume everything is a trap is how I play now.