Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick question, how do i make a "monsters only" teleport where the monsters seem to appear out of nowhere? i read through the manual but it didn't tell me what i wanted to know.

you make monsters only teleports by using teleport lines that say MONSTERS ONLY

yes, that part i know, but how do i get the monsters to appear when i cross the designated linedef? the .WAD i'm working on involves a "hovering" spacecraft under which five imps will teleport as if being beamed down from the vessel once i walk through the hangar door.

oh, one more thing. i need to know how to post images. i have searched the forums and read the f.a.q. and they tell me the rules and regulations of image posting, but none of the details on how to do it. if post an image of the map this might be easier.

Get the location (URL) of the uploaded image and paste it here. Imageshack is probably the most popular image file host, might look into it.

but the image is on the computers hard drive not the internet. should i use the images location on the hard drive or what? i read that i had to use the print screen feature on the keyboard and paste it in paint, but from there i am not sure of how to get it on the forum.

Well if you have an gif, jpg, bmp file or whatever image file on your computer you can upload your image to the internet and then provide us with the link like EarthQuake said.

you can use imageshack:
http://imageshack.us/

-click link above,
-click browse
-browse for the file on your computer
-click "host it"
-wait
-copy paste the direct link imageshack gives you into your post here at the forum

http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=

don't know if this help but here it is. the big green thing is where the imps teleport from. i'll try to post an image from 3D mode. i am not sure of how imageshack works so you may not be able to see it. when i clicked on the link above i couldn't find it, you might have better luck.

Oh, BTW, is there a way to post an image without a link, where it is shown directly on the post?

Back to teleportation, have run countless forum searches. i have some answers. alas, it is not working, other people were using ports i would rather not use them if i don't need to, my computer is already a confusing mess as it is. anyway i have made a secluded room for the imps to teleport from, i have the teleport destinations where i want them, and i believe my linedefs are set properly (125 - W1 teleport (monsters only).

the one thing i do not understand are these tags. as far as i know they link two sectors together thereby creating the required action; at least that is what i am lead to believe. Do you type the sector number in the sector tag box under the sector properties or is it more complex?

In case you want to make monsters appear when you walk a line then:

-in zDoom, use a "Create Thing" special (something like that). It should be quite easy--you know, edit the five arguments of the special
-in Boom, position the imps on a hidden conveyor belt leading to an obstacled teleporter line. By having the player lower the obstacle sector once entering the room, the imps will have free way to the teleportation. Make sure BOTH the "conveyor" and the obstacle are made to scroll&move things, via a linedef pointing the same direction (first sidedef to the right), with the "scroll floor & move things" special. For teleportation, if you want so, choose "Silent teleport"
-in Doom this is little more than a standard warp-in trap. Make sure the imps are activated long before the player entering the area, by making a sound passage sector 'tween the hidden sector and the first battle area.

EDIT: How I dislike / hate it when people instead of trying to answer they smack you with "ewwh, use the search function, that's too easy already". But anyway.

EDIT (not exactly ontopic...): Mapmakers nowadays ask for a LOT of detail! This freaks me... Let's hope I will qualify on the time which may come to release something...

i try for detail, but realizing that this game is designed for windows 95, great detail is very difficult, so i don't go too crazy with it.

anyway, i am using the sound tunnel method, usually i would avoid this especially against a sky texture, but what works, works. tried to run the map through, but the computer had a conniption.

having fixed it, let's hope it works. i be back

well the sound tunnel works but the teleport will not function. i think it is the sector tags. what are these tags and how do they tie in with teleportation?

EDIT: BTW i am useing DB with Doom 2.

Not sure if this works in every port but for easy sound transfer you can place the imps and the whole teleport stuff in a sector outside the level and join that sector with a random 'battle' sector in your level. (ofcourse it must be a sector that the player passes before he reaches the intended sector)

The sound works because i can hear the imps in their room making noises. the actual problem is the teleport itself. how do you use sector tags? I left the sector tag box at 0 by default. i know that is the problem, but i don't know what number it needs to be set for.

Does it have to be the same number as the sector or is there one tag number that works for all teleports?

thanks for the help but i could not get the download, probably because i am not a member of that site. if you could explain it i'd appreciate it.

You don't have to be an member of that site to be able to download it.

-Click on the free button
-Fill in the 3 letter/number code
-Click on download button and thats it :)

Watch out when experimenting with the teleports you may accidentaly open a gateway to hell (heh I'd love to hear from coders that were testing new teleport variants and by chance cause a bug that start spawning monsters in the teleport thing).

If you dont know how to do something, open op someone elses wad and see how they did it. Thats how i learned most of my stuff. Just make sure you dont steal.