Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nems

360 Backward Compatibility's Days Numbered

Well Castle Wolfenstein is in development for the 360, me thinks that's another good reason to get the new box. But, maybe not, because it is also being developed at the same time for the PC.

Why was it easy for Sony to have backwards compatibility for the PS2 than for Microsoft to have backwards compatibility for the Xbox 360?

Lizardcommando said:

Why was it easy for Sony to have backwards compatibility for the PS2 than for Microsoft to have backwards compatibility for the Xbox 360?

PS1 --> PS2 = simple graphical update. XBox --> XBox 360 = at the very least, problems with multiple processors and other new tech since the last time generation.

The PS2 also has PS1's cpus so PS1 games can be played natively (code compiled for the PS1 can't be run with the PS2's cpu). The same happened with the GBA, it has a Z80 which the original gameboy used for its main processor, allowing it to play these older games. The DS on the other hand doesn't have a Z80 (to cut costs) so it is unable to play these original gameboy games, though i'd assume it does have the gba's processor. The 360 doesn't have the Xbox's hardware for obvious reasons (space as well as cost i'd say) and so the games have to be either emulated or ported. This means the games are going to be slower or have to be released again which isn't really happening. Correct me if i'm wrong about the Xbox bit though, i haven't read up on it.

EDIT: Makes sense now. Also the ds doesn't have the gb's soundsynthesis chip which means more problems (cost, heh).

The reason why the 360 can't is that between the original and the 360, Microsoft switched from Nvidia to ATI video cards so to make XBox games work on the 360 they have to emulate the Nvidia architecture.

What does Bill Gates have to say about it? I'm tired of hearing Peter Moore's crap, he always sounds like he doesn't care about anything.

Scabbed Angel said:
Will the PS3 have backwards compatibility? I haven't bothered following the new console wars much..

Yep! all the way back to PS1 games!

Huzzar! I can still bust out the odd SotN and PSX doom!

I'm still waiting for a PC that is backward compatible with older games. Oh wait I have one.

AndrewB said:

I'm still waiting for a PC that is backward compatible with older games. Oh wait I have one.

Yeah, so do I. *Starts playing Daggerfall on his computer with Windows XP.*

Captain Red said:

Huzzar! I can still bust out the odd SotN and PSX doom!

I've found that SotN actually looks worse when played in backward compatibility - more pixelated.