Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJShrimpy

Deleting a map from a PWAD?

I am currently working on a 17-map PWAD which I will release today on my shitty site. Anyway I was going to make MAP16 an "introduction" to MAP17 (final map), but then I thought "Ahh screw it, 15 maps is good enough". The thing is, I already saved MAP16 into my PWAD. Is there any way to delete MAP16 from my PWAD? Maybe with XWE or something?

Nope, you're screwed. How silly of you.

JUST KIDDING! Open up XWE, scroll down on the list of lumps in the wad, highlight from the "map16" marker down to the nearest "BLOCKMAP" below it (possibly "BEHAVIOUR" and "SCRIPTS" if they're there) and delete those lumps. Backup the wad first though, if you're unsure.

Then I'm guessing you'll want to change map17 to map16, just right click the "map17" marker and choose "rename" and rename it to "map16".

Another chance if the final map has something particulary important, and you still want a bit of introduction/suspense, you could replace the normal exit of map15 with "secret level exit", then move the final map to the slot "map31" and add a dehacked patch with a text intrudicing the final map. In the final map you could put the "super secret level exit" and add another modified text at the end. By doing this the final map should have the third sky (unless you modify it).

You may want to run your WAD through a WAD cleaner after doing this, because some WAD editors only delete the directory entry and leave the actual data still in the WAD.

Vegeta said:

Another chance if the final map has something particulary important, and you still want a bit of introduction/suspense, you could replace the normal exit of map15 with "secret level exit", then move the final map to the slot "map31" and add a dehacked patch with a text intrudicing the final map. In the final map you could put the "super secret level exit" and add another modified text at the end. By doing this the final map should have the third sky (unless you modify it).

Hmm... I like that idea. What program would I use to change the intermission text?

For these things I use Dehacked (you can find it in the main page of Doomworld, looking for "utilities", but I'm very oldschool with DOOM editing tools, I think there are other ways to doing this. If you have problems with this feel free to ask here.

Another thing if you don't want to have a map only as an introduction, but don't want to drop what you designed for that map is to copy and past the map into one of the other maps (15 or final whatever slot you choose). For this DOOM Builder I think it's the best, but Wintex also can do the job (yet on this one you'll have to do it by parts as the demo version only allow you to move certain number of sectors/linedefs).