Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

rare Doom I/II commercial add-ons

Just curious, does anyone here have any of those very rare add-ons?

I personally think of rare add-ons as three types:

Semi-rare: discontinued, but available on eBay and Amazon
Rare: discontinued, not available on major auction sites, but some Google hits
Very rare: discontinued, very obscure, little or no relevant Google hits, etc

Here's the rare add-ons I know of:

The D!Zone series (semi-rare), Perdition's Gate (rare), Hell-to-Pay (rare), Maximum Doom (semi-rare), Demon Gate (rare), Doom Game Editor book/CD (rare), Demon Gate Mega Collection (very rare), Doom Fever (very rare), Doom Explosion (very rare), HacX CD (very rare), Doom Developer's Kit (very rare), Doom Deathday Collection (very rare), Instant Doom levels (very rare)

Notes:

1. HacX is available for download, but it seems that the CD is very rare
2. Some of the above were sold by WizarWorks, and became rare after WW was acquired by Atari
3. Some of the later titles are very hard to find
4. I know there's more, but I can't remember the names. I once posted a similar list here, but it got purged. I don't even remember the names of some of them.

Before the internet was really widespread, around 95 or so (i was on bbs's mainly), i lived off this doom cd that had like ~3000 levels on it.. It came with the masters of doom cd.. i think it was called maximum doom? In any case, it was a wicked cd and always had me booting up new wads.. I probably went through every level on that cd twice.

I have a copy of what is called "Doom I & II Collection", but I have no idea where I got it or who compiled it. I've not played through all of it, but I'm certain most of it is just mediocre to crap quality stuff, with occasional gems here and there. It's got some old editors and utilities too.

Don't know how rare it is.

I have a HacX CD, D!Zone, Demon Gate, Master Levels, and first-day CDROM copies of all the games, including the manuals.

I remember going through all the D!zone maps too.. there were a few gems out of the ~600 wads, but most of them weren't great.

As a pre-emptive post, I'll just mention that linking to, offering or asking for downloads of the Master Levels, or the full version of Perdition's Gate or Hell to Pay is against forum rules.

Any freely distributable wads that were included in shovelware collections are of course freely distributable.

Other than official id releases (Doom2 1.666, Ultimate Doom, id Anthology, Collectors Edition) I only have three shovelware products: D!Zone, D-1000, and the disk that accompanied the Tricks of the Doom Gurus book. And of course Hacx since it was made freely and legally available. Note that this version of Hacx differs slightly from that on the CD, as it is the final version as made by the team, without any changes made to texture names (which caused some problems).

Heh, I still have my "Doom Alchemy" book and CD kicking around somewhere. The one that came with the old quake style chaingun and the red soulsphere gfx that were 'amazing' way back when.

I've got two copies of the Doom Game Editor book/CD, if you mean the Joe Pantuso one. I only have one CD though. I think I've got the D!Zone compilation somewhere too and I'm sure there was one called D-1000 or something similar.

I've got the D!Zone CD-Rom and the original retail Shareware package and floppies I bought at Babbages. The package is all brown with a subdued "marine fighting hordes of demons" artwork and proclaims DOOM to be the "Ultimate 3D Virtual Reality Game".

Good times.

I had a CD called Doom Heaven. I can't remember much about it, other than the fact that there were about 2000 WADs on it and it had a pretty sweet (for 1996) frontend for sorting and playing levels.

Are these considered to be rare I bought these years ago when I didn't even had an pc yet.
Still have the cardboard box that came with D1000 lying around here somewhere.
Dunno if Doomsday disk came with an cardboard box, note this is original stuff no warez :)

Bucket said:

I had a CD called Doom Heaven. I can't remember much about it, ...

Some information on MSB products (including Doom Heaven) can be found here.

when classic simpsons and doom was playing... damn, those were the days...

i wish i bought the master levels when i saw it.

Just a boxed copy of Master Levels with Maximum Doom for me.
Probably doesn't count, but I also have that 'Tricks of the Doom Gurus' CD that came with a huge book on Doom editing.
I've seen the D!Zone CDs on Amazon commonly and I hope I eventually get my hands on a copy.

I've got many of those cd's, that you rate as *rare* and *semi-rare*, but none of the *very rare* ones, except for the Doom developers kit, that i got via ebay. But there are probably more than one cd with the same title, but different content, i don't know.

Instant Doom is online here:
http://cd.textfiles.com/instantdoom
Grazza posted that link in this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32849
There's more stuff to check out in that list.

If you are interested into information about the Maximum Doom -levels. please check out my Maximum Doom reference, that i'm currently working on.
You can get the latest version here:
http://www.geocities.com/southparkduke/doom/index.htm
It tells you about the titles, authors, play information, and where to get the original wads (download links).

Hmm, I can't say for certain if this actually existed or not, since it was so long ago, but I remember seeing something called the "Doom Monster Maker". I think it had a picture of some modified Mancubus sprite on the cover, again I'm not sure since it was so long ago but I may as well throw it out there.

funduke said:

I've got many of those cd's, that you rate as *rare* and *semi-rare*, but none of the *very rare* ones, except for the Doom developers kit, that i got via ebay. But there are probably more than one cd with the same title, but different content, i don't know.

Instant Doom is online here:
http://cd.textfiles.com/instantdoom
Grazza posted that link in this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32849
There's more stuff to check out in that list.

If you are interested into information about the Maximum Doom -levels. please check out my Maximum Doom reference, that i'm currently working on.
You can get the latest version here:
http://www.geocities.com/southparkduke/doom/index.htm
It tells you about the titles, authors, play information, and where to get the original wads (download links).

I can't get them to work ^^

can someone help me out, i'm pretty new to running stuff through doom95

I have D!Zone Gold, Demon Gate, the id Anthology (ftw), and I have some original floppies. While the commercial (shovelware) addons are collectors-y today, I cant really imagine springing for them back in the day or so. Still, theres some interesting stuff on them.

Ledmeister said:

Anyone have (or care about) The Lost Episodes of Doom?
Just bought the book/disk combo on eBay, but haven't gotten a chance to play around with it much.

Yes.
I bought it also a few days ago at ebay. But the parcel hasn't arrived here yet.
I will enjoy it. :)

Because Klie, one of the authors, is one of the 'Master Levels' authors, i think it's a must-have, just like the free Dr. Sleep levels.

i have the Demon Gate CD with like 3000 levels or whatever, and the only way it's worth the plastic made from is if you really enjoy bad levels. I can play through WADS full of STARTAN3 all day, hence I love it.

I know a place to download some of these...but I dont think I could be allowed to post them. Any mods or whatnot want to shed some light?

BlitZ: See my post near the start of the thread. Shovelware compilations do not own any copyright over the wads they shoveled in. Whether the individual files can be distributed depends on what rights (if any) are granted in the text-files that accompanied them. But linking to download sites for commercial wads, or offering to supply them, etc., will result in a ban.

Somebody already did post a link to download the wads from some CD up there. And i imagine most of the shovelware wads where originally obtained from cdrom.com, the "Compuserve action gaming forum" and the Doom stuff on AOL,so the authors wouldnt mind (if they even care about thier old doom levels any more anyway) those wads being put back onto the internet.

My first copy of Doom on the PC that i got in 1999 was called "The Depths Of Doom Trilogy", which included Doom, Doom 2 and the Master Levels (but not Final Doom oddly), and Maximum doom plus a dodgy frontend. Some of the stuff in maximum doom is OK, though there is a shopping mall wad that doesnt have a dehacked patch indluded when it is supposed to. Also CITY2.WAD in it is pretty good, for its time.

can someone help me out, i'm pretty new to running stuff through doom95

If you just want to run shitty (or even good) old wads with nothing special in them, and dont know how, get Doom Legacy, which has a launcher for easily loading up wad files. If you have ZDoom though, dont install legacy into the same folder!

Out of the multitude of cds with wad compilations, what are the unoficial comercial mods with an actual episode or theme. The only I know about are.

-The Lost Episodes of DOOM
-Hacx
-Hell to Pay
-Perdition's Gate

Anything else? (I don't count that crappy wad made by a girl many years ago).