Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CodeImp

Doom Builder 1.68 Beta

After several months of life-threatening letters, 2 days of coding since yesterday, sweat, blood and a lot of cursing at my compiler: I release a beta version of Doom Builder 1.68 before marking it as as "stable" and putting it on my website.

Please, if you're currently working on a map, try out this beta version and post here anything that has not been fixed yet. AND PLEASE READ HOW TO REPORT A BUG!

Well then, here is a patch to beta version of 1.68. I await your feedback.

Nice, wasn't expecting this. I'll have to check out if any of the bugs I found are still in.

I really like the "textures/flats from directory" option. Makes it a lot easier to work with levels when developing for a port that supports .zips.

Edit: I don't know if you'll see this edit, or ignore it from reading it earlier. Well, unless I'm not looking hard enough, it seems like the 'mix flats/textures" option is gone. It makes things a little complicated when I'm lazy and using 3d mode to change textures.

Great work. I haven't had any problems using it yet. I'll be sure to whine if I do, though. :P

Edit: I don't know if you'll see this edit, or ignore it from reading it earlier. Well, unless I'm not looking hard enough, it seems like the 'mix flats/textures" option is gone. It makes things a little complicated when I'm lazy and using 3d mode to change textures.

I noticed that as well. It turns out that it was removed from the general editing option, and added in the game editing configuration files, because it's an engine specific feature (I can't think of any other engines that have this ability aside from ZDoom-based engines).

'Error 424 in LoadConfiguration: Object required'.
EDIT: Everything is OK now.

I noticed the same chopkinsca and Agent Spork did. It doesn't bug me you can't use it in things other than ZDoom etc configs, but it would be nice if there were an option, because I don't always want to mix the resources just because it's a ZDoom map.
Other than that, seems nice so far.

I like to see it this way: If you edit specifically for ZDoom, you select a ZDoom configuration. If you want compatability with other/older sourceports or maybe even the original Doom, then select another configuration.

The only reason I can think of why you wouldn't want to mix textures and flats in your map is for backward compatability with other/older sourceports. The solution is most simple: Select a more appropriate configuration. Doesn't that sound logical?

Do you plan to steal a 3d_paste_paint feature from SLADE and assign it to shift+mouse2 for example? It is rather cool feature. Really.

Describe a specific case where you would use this 3d_paint_past tool, how it works and what it's effect is. Maybe I will ;)

Well, that explains it. I'm using a Gzdoom configuration, but it only took a few seconds to find the line in the zdoom.cfg.

There are a few things that aren't really problems, but they might be fixable.

One thing that has been not working for as long as I can remember is the hotkey for copying sector/line properties. It works if I do it from the menu. Pasting properties works with the hot-key though.

Simply going into the script editor counts as making a change to a map. Not a problem, just annoying when I go to one map, steal a script from it, and when closing it asks if I want to save the changes.

After building nodes in the editor, and then playtesting, zdoom still rebuilds the nodes. This doesn't happen if I build the nodes using the same command line outside the editor with the same zdbsp.

After loading a map, before making any changes, going in to 3d mode will not build the nodes. It wouldn't be a problem, except since zdoom will rebuild nodes anyway, I never bother building nodes in the editor. This causes a lot of graphical errors in 3d mode (no proper nodes?). Making a minor change to the map (moving a vertex, etc.) to fix this.

CodeImp said:

Describe a specific case where you would use this 3d_paint_past tool, how it works and what it's effect is. Maybe I will ;)

Oh
It is not easy for me. I hope, somebody will explain it instead of me.

In addition to ZDoom (and GZDoom), Doomsday and Risen3D should also support texture/flat mixing, if I'm not mistaken.

But indeed these features, as any specific ones, should come as part of the appropriate configurations, because if not maps supposedly for this or that come out incompatible with half the engines they are loaded with.

chopkinsca: No promises :P but I'll take a look at those.

myk: I have checked their websites, but they didn't say anything about mixed textures/flats support. Assuming you're right, I have turned on these features in the jDoom and Risen3D configs.

I tested the texture/flat mixing in the latest Doomsday 1.9 beta and it does not support this feature. I do however have some ties with the development team and will probably suggest such a feature be added in the future.

Yeah, I wasn't sure. I had supposed it might as an extension to what hawkwind said here and here about Risen3D, but he must have added that independently.

CodeImp said:

See line_paint_tex() and sector_paint_tex() in edit_misc.cpp in the slade sources. Basically it pastes the currently copied texture to all adjacent lines that share the texture being pasted over, effectively 'painting' the 'room' with the texture :P