Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cycloid

Scimitar Beta ... Coming Soon

a heads up for all one of you that playtested my alpha version that the beta is imminent i spent a lot of the weekend retexturing and reworking some of it. mostly eps 1 and 3 (2 is mostly still grey and boring). if you are scared to playtest it dont be the 20 maps are really small. some have, like, 1 mintute par times. anyway, i'll upload it in the next couple of days for your devouration over the coming week whilst i'm on holiday.

Beta 1
http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/scimi-b1.zip

Readme
http://www.cyclomedia.co.uk/doom/wads/scimi-b1.txt

usual beta disclaimer applies: it's a beta, and therefore sucks.

Most interested in feedback regarding gameplay, i'd like the armor to be dished out in a manner similar to health (in smallish quantities) especially in the first episode, you can see this in maps 2 and 3, where i'm stealing quake 3's armor shard business. Mostly though i'm interested in the survivability, having tried to keep it reasonably hard through limitation. i.e. you dont get the ssg or chaingun for a few maps, and not after quite a few revenants, but only a couple at a time.

i really need some ideas for the middle episode, despite it being the shortest it's quite dissapointing IMO, map10 is probably my favourite amongst them, 09 is getting there and 08 is a bit crap IMO.

anyway, get testing, like i said, sure there are 20 maps to get through but the whole thing if you joined it together would probably be shorter than Deus Vult :-)

wow, lots of feedback, then. the 20 levels really are very small, really, and have demo routes and secrets to hunt for. if i dont get any feedback soonish i might just give up as for all i know i'm firing in the dark and wasting all my effort on a steaming pile of shite. and just release the beta as is,

Okay, so ive tested it.
And i have to say that it would be nice to be able to get past the second lvl, or if it was the third :S

But the little i saw was nice.
Though the knife sprites has black gauntlets, and the original sprites(pistol, shotgun etc.) does not, so that looks a bit gay

But i was glad to se the knife, becouse im currently doing a wad and i need a knife sprite for it, maybe you could be willing to share it?
I'll credit you for it ofcourse

the knife and the sword arent finished yet, so they're just placeholder sprites i knicked from (i think) scuba steve.

and what does it look like where you are stuck? i can give you some clues if yer want.

Hello Cycloid, I’m back!

Your beta version looks better than your alpha version, but nevertheless there are many things to improve…

The main problem about some of your maps is the missing light contrast, that is why it doesn’t make so much fun to play them. In map 01 for example the player cannot really see that the light level of the created light is higher than the light level of the surrounding… I would change the light level from 160 to 250 there and the light level of the surrounding from 144 to 150 (you can see one light infront of the player start…). Almost the same is to say about your outside area (the sectors with the sky texture), because the light levels 144 and 160 doesn’t really make a difference there, so I would change it from 160 to 200 and 144 to 150. But you don’t need to do this in this way, you can also set another light level like the author Erik Alm did in map 01 of “Community Chest 2”. There you have an perfect example of light contrast... The light level of map 02 seems to be ok, but in map 03 you can easily make the light level of the big column (outside) darker to create contrast… and so on, you will make it! :-P

Don’t forget to change your sky texture, because it doesn’t look so good… maybe you will find a better one. So far: you did a good job with improving the textures in several maps, keep on improving and this level set should be fine some day…It is good to hear that “zdoom is in the to-make-compatible-with list” too!

thanks for the encouragement, it looks fine on my system but that's probably my gamma setting, the use of 112,128,144 and 160 is an effort to blend the indoor and outdoor light levels, so that there are no harsh changes. will investigate. will hunt around these forums for an idea of what light levels to use where