Find results in...
Coold00d

Help Wanted With my new mod

SuperMarioTC
i need help
iam new to edge, and need help, ive got an idea for an adventure mario type wad
iam using edge
i need help with mapping for edge
and also some coding for speech, i dont no how to import that into the ddf or into game
so far ive got 3 mario STYLE levels [thank you to cutmanmike and cl :)]
i need some experienced people to edge [as i have only just moved over from zdoom!]
to help me create word coding and a level that resembles Peach's castle from Super Mario 64
i will sort out the textures afterwards
thank you very much,
any help will be appreciated
if any one is willing to help me
with this adventureTC
i could get to work,
i can script for player/enemies n stuff
i just need some similar levels from mario games and other coding for speech etc, doesnt matter about the textures just any sort of stuff you could help me with? well thank you!
il reply later, or email callum_sanderson@Hotmail.com
thank you again i will look forward to your ideas!

http://www.geocities.com/tgz6/Video_Game_Maps/PeachsCastleSM64.jpg
idea

coold00d, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Wow... well, at least you provided proof of some work so kudos to you, although honestly, it looks like a complete mess.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to release those pre-alpha shots. :p

no, this i just example pictures, the actual game is nothing like this, its going to be more adventury, sorta thing,
better levels, loads of stuff
most of the things in screen shots, aint going into the proper realese!

http://www.freewebs.com/supermariodoomtc/index.htm http://www.geocities.com/coold00dzdoom/test.html
2 websites that lead to me just testing and practising stuff in zdoom and edge!
it is messed up these pics i no!
as i said befor the game is nothing like this! heh
and also as i said
i need a lot of help

this pic just giving off an idea of what i want
i still want a peach castle, prefebly a repuca of the mario64 one , this picture is just a test,thats why the textures n stuff are just Doom,

ok listen, you start in the first level: thats cutmanmikes level, its just like the frist level of mario only 3D!
it will have many mario enemies and music too! then you hear peach scream, mario says somthing, you go to the castle , u talk to the toad he tells you he heard somthing, then you go in find a note [you dont relise bowser is behind it!] then you
go to a room full of goombas, get a key go to another room, theres a portrait of peach you walk over to it then it suddenly turns to bowser picture, then the floor opens and you fall to the next level! mwhaa!
but as i said iam crap at mapping for edge and i dont no how to import speech and stuff

* Copyright / Permissions *

All graphics here are by nintendo, apart from kritter's notice sign.
Apart from that don't steal without permission and stuff!
Cutman doesn't deserve credit :P

You'll be better off making the levels from scratch and using the textures. But to be on the safe side, just give credit to where it's due for textures.

However, I'm not so sure you'll be able to use the level for your own stuff.

erm i asked cutman he said its ok
aslong as i keep kritter heh
also i go threw this every time
i DOUT nintendo the big company in japan is going to sue me for using couple of stuff from mario games in my doom wad heh,
honestly, if its realy that bad, iam going to put nintendo banners in the game

Alright, as long he said ok. :)

No no, don't worry about Nintendo forcing you to pull the plug on your project. It's not like you actually emailed Shigeru Miyamoto himself and told him you were making this.

well i need EDGE style maps:
PEACH CASTLE sorta map, with or without new textures
and any other mario type maps!
i need sounds, maybe some mario sorta weapon sprites,
i need help with some edge coding [importing speech into the game! and stuff]
i would post this on wip, but its eather down or just playing up for me! [damnit]

another idea, inside the castle
Whoops, this pic would of looked better with shadows, forgot to insert, ah well
heres just a breif idea

Why don't you do a Simpsons game? There's already a load of high quality sprites available.

Simpsons?

1. theres already about 3 out
2. its bit more of a cartoony, jokewad if you ask me
this one is like an adventure
not unless you mean actully going in the life of 1 of the simpsons, and talking to ppl not killing evil simpson characters, then maybe aLSo id prefer to do my own sprites even if i did want to do that,

"new?" I though you were working on this since 2004-05 summer.
You better use Super Mario texures (just take some screenshots on snes with a rom and voila), everything from DOOM 2 seems totaly out of place. I suggest looking at the secret "mario level" in the first map of Action DOOM (heh this mod allways has a reason to be mentioned, Scuba must be happy). If I'm not wrong there's a wad with weapons and enemies from Super Mario around the net.

Coold00d said:

Simpsons?

1. theres already about 3 out
2. its bit more of a cartoony, jokewad if you ask me
this one is like an adventure
not unless you mean actully going in the life of 1 of the simpsons, and talking to ppl not killing evil simpson characters, then maybe aLSo id prefer to do my own sprites even if i did want to do that,

There aren't levels made for Simpsons Doom, at least not that I know of. If there are, they must suck, since I haven't heard of it.

I was thinking of a HALLOWEEN special. You're Homer, and can basically do anything with the story, since it's a HALLOWEEN special. There is work that needs to be done: resize the sprites to smaller scale.

If we had some random civilian sprites (edit existing ones), they could be the ones you use several times, and use the actual characters as mini-/end-bosses during each level. For example, you go from one place to Moe's, and kill civilians on the way, and have a bossfight with Moe in his bar, for running out of beer or something.

I'm considering this even more, as a treat for my bro', since he has a crush on Homer.

gemini09 said:

There aren't levels made for Simpsons Doom, at least not that I know of. If there are, they must suck, since I haven't heard of it.

Simpsons doom is quite annyoing. If you press a button. It's goes
"Don't touch it! It's the history eraser button you fool!" i got really annoyed having to press 2 or 3 button's and listian to
"Don't touch - don't touch - don't touch - that - that - that
etc"

Rant over

Mario doom? i really can't see how that could work...

yes i was thinking about a hit-and-run simpsons wad, where you walk around in the life as one of the simpsons, talking to each characters, picking up many well known items and stuff from the tv show, and all the houses like flanders and stuff, i was actully thinking of this sorta mod, but it ended in a big Noway,
any way, im focusing on mario atm if you would like make somthing like that, then maybe after this mod, il be free =]
any way, for my mario wad, all i need is a
mario levels/and a few edge scripts like speech writing and stuff,
i can do the player fine n weapons n monsters, n stuff
i just need some people to say yes they will help, so i can get to work heh.
also its not going to have tons of monsters, that was just me testing and showing off my edge skills heh, just messing about,
the textures in the screen shot, where just quick, that level is just out door of maniacle castle [EBD] they where just breif ideas, i can easily get textures, but nothing to put them on!
i need levels, to decorate n stuff
i despreatly need peach castle,
if your intersted, il talk to you more about it,
also the enemies will be just the original goombas,koopatroopas n stuff, maybe some other snes enemies and maybe some other suprises? maybe cacodemon or somthing? also they weapons will proberly be just
marios punch-punch-kick sorta thing,
mario fire ball glove
mario kick
mario super star move
bob-ombs
mario upwards super jump punch heh
spiky/red/green shells
and loads items from mariokart and SSBM to, so you wont have things like
a pistol or shotgun heh, that be just stupid, i'd also like if edge could have chase cam, have the hole cam like that,
you can also jump on enemies heads to kill them and stuff,
well any way thanks for your comments
il be looking forward to your replys

I'm sure your project could turn out to be fun, but it's not something for me. I don't have a history with Mario anyway, so I don't really care. Sounds like you have some interesting ideas, though.

Good luck. Have fun.

well, the project hasnt properly started, i realy need some help, like hell!
heh, any can just say yes il help, and il begin!

You see, the thing is that alot of people are already busy with their own projects. The best (and only) thing to do is do it on your own. You gotta tough it out.

Shit, I've been trying and trying for ages to get a coder to help me with my Wolfenstein 3D mod, but with no luck at all. So now I'm just making levels while waiting for someone to give me some help. Ehh, but who the hell am I kidding? I'm not holding my breathe for it.

ok, well i cant make levels, il do oher stuff, until i find a good edge mapper
well any way,iam just making a quick demo, it will be here shortly [HOPEFULLY]
:p
you will need to change
the doc/txt file into ddf, my pc wont allow it
all you need to run it is:
DOOM2 and latest Edge
~

http://www.geocities.com/supermariodoomtc/mariodem.html?1149883187968
go there to get it
it has sounds,mario sprite
just rename the 2 txt files to ddfs
and run in edge!

as you can see alot, of work needs to be done

Why it HAS to be for Edge? This mod could be perfectly done even for vanilla DOOM, you don't need to add extra things without replacing the existing sprites, you don't need 3d floors, not even light variation, you don't need much detail, neither a complex layout, you don't need to add new textures without replacing the existing ones, there are some Mario textures in Action DOOM, and get others shouldn't be much of a problem. Once you have the sprites, textures, and sounds (probably the hardest part), there's nothing else to worry.
I'd help you but I'm a bit busy these days, good luck.

theres going to be alot more, its meant to look like old mario, you see goombas n such, hen you go into hell or whateva find bowser and find out hes recruited other armies! doomish and hellish beings! and yes there will be lighting then and other good stuff, its just meant to look like snes sorta thing at first heh

I like how you blatantly steal things from other games, mods, and projects and it still ends up looking like crap. Maybe that's because half the items don't go together and your mod lacks an overall theme? Perhaps...

Before throwing in everything but the kitchen sink into a project because you think that a mismash of incongruous elements will make your wad better, sit down and think about what you want your project to be. Most projects that lack focus either never finish, or succumb to feature creep. Hell, even projects with a clear and concise design document never finish, but it doesn't hurt.

You're designing a project around Super Mario Brothers, correct? Why then do I see Octobrains, Zombiemen, and Goblins from Witchaven all in the same place? What does that have to do with SMB? I'd suggest you scrap everything unrelated to the theme, remove or rework the current graphics that are SMB related, as they are either poorly drawn or ripped from another game and look bad in Doom, and start over with a good idea of what you're doing.

This might sound harsh, but no one will take your project seriously if it comes out looking like a bunch of random games came together and had a massive orgy on your hard drive. Try to keep graphics ripped from other sources to a minimum. In fact, I reccomend you design everything based on SMB but not taken from it.

Look at the SMB games for inspiration. What do the textures look like? How do the games play, and how can you make said gameplay work in Doom as best as possible? What colors are most common? What style do the graphics have? Would Mario or Luigi really use a handgun, or would they stick to their mushrooms and fire flowers? If they do use a gun, would it be realistic, or something like a banana-peel-shooting wooden gatling gun?

Once you've answered that and other questions you have made yourself about your wad and how it relates to SMB, I think you are ready to make it.

Addendum:
For a good example how a mod based on another game series should be done with the Doom engine, check out Sonic Robo Blast. Some might disagree with me, but I think it's a good example how a game with a completely different style, theme, and even gameplay can be done in the Doom engine.

Snarboo said:

...looking like a bunch of random games came together and had a massive orgy on your hard drive.

Lmfao, brilliant!

Here are some suggestions:

-Remove the cyberdemon arm from Browser's shoulder
-Remove all the weapons that are just "DOOM weapon with white glove"
-Remove all the DOOM textures
-In fact, remove every DOOM sprite, flat, texture (by remove I just mean replace them with something diferent)
-You don't have to add new weapon sprites, just put the third person view (this is another way to removing the DOOM weapon sprites as they shouldn't be displayed).
-Replace all weapon and monsters sounds
-I know you like it, but DOOMish monsters should look like crap in the Mario universe, if you want some monsters from hell, then add new characters based in the Mario theme (like cartoonish ghosts, fire ghosts, cartoonish skeletons, demons, I repeat all w/o geting apart from the Super Mario theme).
-I repeat if you look at Action DOOM's Mario scene, most probably you didn't, but if you do you'll change a lot your vision for this mod.
-Unmodified enemies from diferent games thrown together it's not cool, specialy if the mod AIMS to follow a consistent theme (but eventualy fail).
-Look at the very first Super Mario games for inspiration. Mario 64, Aqua Adventure (or wathever), and all the recent chapters are no where as popular as the first chapters.
-I repeat, for textures just open your Snes emulator, load some Mario roms and take screenshots, you could easly extract bricks, pipes, plants, cubes, textures and flat could be easly done.
-If you know how to do the code for the jumping damage then go for it, but if you don't forget the idea of get a coder and replace the attacks with diferent kind of fire flower, mashrooms, but without falling in the temptation of adding a shotgun, rocket launcher (if you add explosions they MUST look like something from Mario, not DOOM).

FOR THE LAST TIME
NONE OF THAT IS IN THE GAME!
THAT WAS JUST MESSING ABOUT!
SHOWING OFF MY EDGE / ZDOOM SKILLS!
heh,
the finished game will be like
all the mario games, mario 64 etc!
im not going to say like
oh lets put dukenukem in there, and put adolf hitler in there, just randomly picking creatures no iam not!
iam thnking of storys of any new stuff i add, and none of them game monsters will be in it, its not like EBD
there proberly be mario and other snes enemeies like keen/lostvikings/goldenaxe and stuff! but i will think of good story for every one of them
also thats not the bowser! thats just this creation i found in wad, its there for example
also i said theres no guns, just mario weapons, them cheap hands i drew where jokes and tests :P you dont seriously think id draw like that :/
all 3 levels i have so far HAVE got mario textures! briks pipes etc!
i still need peaches castle for the main first level heh :P
im even trying to make into an rpg sorta mod, as far as doom as possible. but some ingame battles, with mini bosses from wonderboy kirby and stuff and other chracters that bowser has also recruited, also be some in jokes and easter eggs [nintendo related!] maybe even a macanicale sonic [sega] for a joke heh
anyways what them pics are, thre basicly me showing off that i can bring creatures from other games in zdoom/edge
and showing off that i made them exactly like they are in the original, just because i was proud heh,
but, as i said again and again
there just tests/pissabouts/practising/etc
in some of the mariolevels
thats it! just showing off!
if you notice, the red/yellow/green/blue level is my block fort, and the pic with zombieman at top, is meant to be underground, suage sorta thing, i just added creatures, to test the level and skills! and also look at bowser pic again, thats my poor scripted flame thrower heh, its coming out of his.... you no what ,
also that big spiky red thing is phirana plant, that shoots posion/bites that you hold once you slain one, also that little green creatures is hoodlum the frog,:P my own little creature, mario finds him in my story for the game that iam currently writing, you drop him if any enemie goes near it, they die, so basicly if they look at it, and you can re pick it up, hes hard to find, the game is set befor the story so il post it once you played, once the games out, proberly 2007 by this rate heh, and the story is lagging to!

I feel obliged not to read your long posts. I get this whole EBDooM+Mario Teaches Typing feeling.

well im sure if you actully read it then that will change your post totally
also [makes me wonder if any did download my mario demo, its the player half way done, with some sounds, and some coding,]
weapons soon!
marios punch-punch-kick i think