Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #279

Hello hello, it's /newstuff's public enemy #1 here with yet another fresh installment of... you guessed it, /newstuff! Ok I lied, this is just an article about how awesome I am and how maps SUCK. That's right, I said the evil word that divided a community into two. Unfortunately Sapphire isn't reviewed this week, but there's thirteen other zips to indulge your tastebuds, whether your tastebuds are sweet or merely bitter.

• 4 Levels that got Lost - Paul Corfiatis (and others)
    Enhanced Port - SP - 621kb - (img) (img) (img)
    First on the /newstuff chopping board is a four-level compilation of Paul Corfiatis' ill-fated community project; and what a fun experience this is. As typical with most community projects, there is no recurring theme, which may put off some people who don't understand why there's sudden changes with the texturing between levels. That said, the levels themselves are generally excellent: MAP05 is a great introduction to the WAD, similar to Scythe MAP01. The other three maps have excellent detail and are quite challenging to beat. A definite contender for WAD of the week.

• 787.wad - paul vallejo
    doom2.exe - SP - 23kb - (img) (img) (img)
    What the fuck is the point of this WAD? Honestly, a four year old could make something more mentally stimulating than this three-level... thing. insert obligatory usage of "sucks" here

• DFA DUELZ - Bryan
    Skulltag - DM - 14mb
    THIS WAD HAS COMMERCIAL MP3S

And the maps are boring anyway, except for MAP02.

• Do It Again - Sterling "Caligari_87" Parker
    ZDoom - SP - 329kb - (img) (img) (img)
    Spawned from the success of Dingie Lingie's do-it.wad, this unofficial sequel by Caligari presents the player with a new twist to the rampant depression situation that is ongoing within this world's society. This WAD definitely gets bonus points for an interesting effect if you bleed in a particular area, but I don't like how it takes a really long time for the player to die. Not only that, but the third screenshot shows a Boom/ZDoom bug with those fade in/out light sectors that are behind doors if you hit the light switch in the bathroom. Whether this is a worthy sequel is entirely up to you: I personally enjoyed it myself, but those aforementioned problems might affect the judgement you will give.

• e6y - Andrey A. Budko
    Enhanced Port - SP - 531kb - (img) (img) (img)
    This here is a large sewer-themed map that definitely caught my attention right from the beginning. Including interesting puzzles, non-linear routes, great detail for being sewer-themed and sparse but challenging battles, this map a sure winner for this week's /newstuff. Does it deserve the WAD of the week award, however? I will admit that I'm honestly stuck between choosing this and lev_lost.wad for giving the award to.

• Hsien-Ko / Lei-Lei skin - CheapAlert
    ZDoom - N/A - 411kb - (img) (img)
    Here is a skin WAD of that Darkstalkers character we probably know or don't know. While there's no doubt that it's a great model rendering, I don't like however that the death animation is rather generic (and Quake 1-ish). I also have this consensus that skins should closely resemble the marine exoskeleton, but that's just me.

• Legacy Clock - xbolt
    Legacy - N/A - 1kb - (img) (img)
    A nice demonstration WAD which shows the ability to have a clock in-game. Kinda cool if you want to do a 24-themed WAD or something else, but I guess you can't obtain the real time due to FraggleScript limitations.

• Opiate - Jacob H. Orloff
    ZDoom - DM - 12kb - (img)
    A dull, uninspiring symmetrical deathmatch map that requires minimal skill to master. There's nothing to say about it otherwise.

• Soldier's Stockpile (previously Marines of UAC) v1.1 - Nick Perrin
    EDGE - N/A - 6.8mb - (img)
    Note by deathz0r: I could have reviewed this, but the effort to get EDGE to run was too much to bother handling, so I asked around on IRC and the first person to respond was Russell Rice, the dude who made Doomwire, not those WADs that people enjoy.

This is an "upgrade" to mouac (Marines of UAC), includes most of the gfx and stuff from it, plus some extra's (see SOLDIERSOCKINFO.txt)
    I don't know if there is much to be said about it really, more time could've been spent on it.

I used Edge 1.29rc3 to test this.

Fun things can be found in it:
    Blowing imps heads apart with the sniper rifle.
    Blowing imps apart with one of the other weapons (forgot which one)

Problems I've encountered:
    OICW, sniper rifle and jackhammer shotgun? seem to be poorly aligned (see screenshot)
    Satchel charge has poor damage.
    Grenades and satchel charges share the same ammo counter (I didn't know you could turn one into the other)
    What is with replaced skull icon in the menu, what is it?
    Some of the auto/semi auto weapons seem to do the same amount of damage.
    Spas shotgun reload gfx always loads 8 shells when you hit reload button, even if you have 4 in the chamber already (could be bad in fire fight)
    One or two of the auto weapons shoots dead on center the entire time being fired.
    I'm sure there are more.

Overall, it isn't the best mod I've played, but I suppose its fun for about 5 minutes.

• The Adventures of Mister Cola! - Corwin "WildWeasel" Brence
    GZDoom - N/A - 1,873kb - (img)
    You know, there's quite an interesting and unrelated backstory to this particular WAD. See, in the supar secret /newstuff forums, WildWeasel requested that he should handle weapon mod reviews, because I'm apparently unfair and extremely negative towards them. While this statement is blatantly bullshit, I find it amusing that I'm reviewing one of his own weapon mods two weeks after his sudden departure and after a particular now-deleted comment (or was it someone else?) by him in the ZDoom forums advising people not to upload their WADs on my weeks. It's a shame that nobody can accurately predict when my next /newstuff is!

Now where was I? Oh yes, we were reviewing WildWeasel's new weapons mod. The premise behind this mod is that the Doomguy is really a superhero of some sorts, due to his amazing stamina and ability to jump over large pits with ease. I'm not sure why there's a story like that, as none of the weapons are overpowered at all. As usual, there's a ton of ripped sprites from various sources (including Akshun Doom) and sounds from other places. While I actually like the majority of weapon replacements and the six-pack powerup, I don't like that the pistol, fists and Ares Blaster are semi-automatic without the six-pack powerup. It seems like an insult compared to the other weapons which are fully automatic in the sense that you can hold down the fire button as long as you want. Maybe if the other weapons required manual reloading, I would forgive this semi-automatic decision, but they're not. Regardless, it's definitely a better-than-average weapons mod that is worth checking out.

• Thiswadsucks1 - Th0r
    Skulltag - DM - 16kb - (img) (img)
    This is definitely better than Opiate, but it still feels quite amateurish in layout design compared to typical DM wads. Not only that, but for some reason a switch requires a red keycard in single player mode. Obviously this WAD was not playtested properly.

That's right, I said the evil word that divided a community into two: A group of people who appear more interested in kissing Torm's and/or GZDoom's ass and a group who simply doesn't give a shit about Sapphire.

Oh man. Dean, you're so mean to those ZDoom denizens. One of these days, I'm going to review Sapphire myself, and you're going to be REALLY SORRY.

In fact, you better watch out. They might come over here RIGHT NOW and make this thread four, five, maybe even twenty pages long.

I MADE THAT SKIN U BASTRD!

also it's not huge, wtf are you playing it in legacy, its in proper size on skulltag at least and it's barely taller than doomguy

lol

Zdoom community are afraid of deathz0r :)

I had a presentiment, that this review will be done by him and he will like my level. Thanks! I think my third attempt is little bit better first two, isn't it?

Yeah, my wad sucked, thats why the title said that, but the thing with the red key, its kinda a inside joke/easter egg sorry 'boutthat. But it wont be noticed if anyone plays on it, due to it being deathmatch and having all keys and such.

But I'm surprised it wasn't the worst. I played some of those other wads and dayum. But seriously, the map took me 10 Min's to make. Thanks for the review btw, once i get my SP wad uploaded it should make up for that one :P.

Well reviewed deathz0r, your commentary is classic. :p

As for the wads, i especially liked the do-it-again wad.. funny stuff.

Yeah, in retrospect, the semi-automatic stuff does kinda hurt my fingers after a while (and the ares blaster is pretty useless after you get the nailcannon, anyway).

AlexMax said:

Oh man. Dean, you're so mean to those ZDoom denizens. One of these days, I'm going to review Sapphire myself, and you're going to be REALLY SORRY.

In fact, you better watch out. They might come over here RIGHT NOW and make this thread four, five, maybe even twenty pages long.

Don't even start. Relax dude, just because Saphire got a bad /newstuff review doesn't mean it won't become a wad of the year.
If you'll remember correctly, Hedrox got negative reviews in the /newstuff for being "overly detailed", and having poor gameplay. However, it received 3rd place on the top 10 wads of 2005.

Craigs said:

Don't even start. Relax dude, just because Saphire got a bad /newstuff review doesn't mean it won't become a wad of the year.
If you'll remember correctly, Hedrox got negative reviews in the /newstuff for being "overly detailed", and having poor gameplay. However, it received 3rd place on the top 10 wads of 2005.

I hate to disillusion you, but Saphire is definitely not getting wad of the year here.

Craigs said:

sarcasmdetectionefficiency--;

Craigs said:

Hedrox got negative reviews in the /newstuff for being "overly detailed", and having poor gameplay. However, it received 3rd place on the top 10 wads of 2005.

Heh, that's nt a list of 1-10, it's just a list of the 10 best wads of the year.

kristus said:

Heh, that's nt a list of 1-10, it's just a list of the 10 best wads of the year.

I think so. Because Scythe2 (best of the year I sure) cannot be after simple Simplicity.

Bugs in Do It Again: It doesn't account for autoswitch being turned off. Not many people do this so it's understandable why it got through, but the fact that I couldn't select it as a weapon afterwards made it worth mentioning. "Use knife" worked great though.

787.wad is surely contender for number 1 wad of the year? the simple compexity of its square rooms crammed with zombies juxtaposes many questions about philosophy in todays world

AlexMax said:

Uh dude, it's called opinion, and sapphire wasn't that good.

BlackFish said:

Uh dude, it's called opinion, and sapphire wasn't that good.

That makes TWO people in this thread with broken sarcasm detectors.

Am I the only one who thinks his comments aren't funny?
Anyway some nice wads this time.

Dyne said:

Am I the only one who thinks his comments aren't funny?
Anyway some nice wads this time.

True, but he's one of the few reviewers we've got left. Just make maps under Pcorf's name and he'll suck up to you in a second.

Craigs said:

Just make maps under Pcorf's name and he'll suck up to you in a second.

What? I only mentioned pcorf's name because he compiled the name, and placing everyone else's name on there would be too long, hence the "others".

I played at do it again and i have to said can i played at a lot of senseless wads, but that one beat all...

Other 2 maps i have played is level lost and mr.cola adventure and sentence is: ok. Not too bad.

This WAD definitely gets bonus points for an interesting effect if you bleed in a particular area

I took a look at the script and it's not really that impressive. He just used a thing count system for the pools of blood. When your character cuts himself, it starts spawning those pools of blood things. So when you're in the tub it starts filling up with blood so long as the specified thing is spawned in the tub.